BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Shipping Options

04-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Shipping Options

Hi all. I'm picking up my M2C at the Performance Center next week, but I'm looking to have it shipped to NJ as I want to avoid highway sandblasting before I get PPF. If anyone has done the same and can share the names of a few reputable shippers, it'd be appreciated. Ideally a single or double enclosed trailer without breaking the bank. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #2
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
Hi all. I'm picking up my M2C at the Performance Center next week, but I'm looking to have it shipped to NJ as I want to avoid highway sandblasting before I get PPF. If anyone has done the same and can share the names of a few reputable shippers, it'd be appreciated. Ideally a single or double enclosed trailer without breaking the bank. Thx!
If you want a reliable carrier it'll cost you. Do not use a broker! Ship with a carrier that has their own trucks and drivers. Companies like Intercity Lines, Reliable Carriers, Horseless Carriage. Trust me I had to ship my car 2600 miles from dealer to my house and I spent weeks agonizing about what shipping company to use. Having some random driver that was the lowest bidder from a broker damage your new car is no fun. Spend the few extra dollars so it gets to you without issues. Do not sign up for quotes from transporters that are just brokers in disguise unless you want an endless stream of spam hitting your inbox. Good luck!

Another option is to put track PPF on the car temporarily for the drive home.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Your CA may have some options for shippers. You can also get PPF in South Carolina at the same place the Performance Center uses.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Drew415
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Quote:
If you want a reliable carrier it'll cost you. Do not use a broker! Ship with a carrier that has their own trucks and drivers. Companies like Intercity Lines, Reliable Carriers, Horseless Carriage. Trust me I had to ship my car 2600 miles from dealer to my house and I spent weeks agonizing about what shipping company to use. Having some random driver that was the lowest bidder from a broker damage your new car is no fun. Spend the few extra dollars so it gets to you without issues. Do not sign up for quotes from transporters that are just brokers in disguise unless you want an endless stream of spam hitting your inbox. Good luck!

who did you end up using to transport your car and how much was it?
Appreciate 1
Jbmw21156.50
      04-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew415 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ended up going with DC Auto Transport out of WA. Car was shipped in enclosed trailer on top row from MS to OR for $1200. Car made it unharmed. I don't know if this hauler does east coast routes. Good luck and congrats on the new car.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #6
Drew415
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ended up going with DC Auto Transport out of WA. Car was shipped in enclosed trailer on top row from MS to OR for $1200. Car made it unharmed. I don't know if this hauler does east coast routes. Good lunch and congrats on the new car.
Nice, thanks for the info!

Was DC Auto Transport recommended by ADDONE's CA in MS? my car is arriving there in a couple of weeks and will be shipping to Cali from MS.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #7
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

I’m in NJ and doing the same. Get it ppfd down there! Extreme Colors Auto Spa. Best in the area and the ones who do PCDs cars
      04-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #8
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ended up going with DC Auto Transport out of WA. Car was shipped in enclosed trailer on top row from MS to OR for $1200. Car made it unharmed. I don't know if this hauler does east coast routes. Good lunch and congrats on the new car.
Nice, thanks for the info!

Was DC Auto Transport recommended by ADDONE's CA in MS? my car is arriving there in a couple of weeks and will be shipping to Cali from MS.
That CA works with a broker, so no DC didn't come recommended. Trouble was that OR with its mere 4.32 million population is considered the boonies and neither Reliable nor Intercity would bother to even give me a quote. To say that my transport options were limited is an understatement. You'll have a lot more options shipping to CA.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:32 PM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
If you want a reliable carrier it'll cost you. Do not use a broker! Ship with a carrier that has their own trucks and drivers. Companies like Intercity Lines, Reliable Carriers, Horseless Carriage. Trust me ...
THIS!!!

I've shipped twice with brokers, and both were fiascos in their own way. First time I submitted an initial quote request to some carrier, but turned out they were somehow linked into some entire network of brokerages and they all started bombarding me with quotes and harassment for my business. It was a nightmare. Second time the truckers were a pair of Russian guys out of Phoenix who were given a very specific 36-hour period that they could NOT deliver the car during, because I would be out of town. So while en route they inform me that this is exactly when they are going to deliver, and it's my problem to figure out how someone is going to be here to accept the car. Funkdat. Wound up having to meet them 3 hours from home and disrupted my entire weekend away. Managed to get 10% of the cost refunded because they only brought the car 90% of the way they were contracted to. That went over like a fart in an elevator and one of the guys called and screamed at me till I hung up on him.

Never again. Next time I'll go with Reliable or somebody actually reputable.
      04-28-2021, 11:34 PM   #10
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone for the help. I submitted requests from 3 of the names so far. According to my CA, BMW Performance Center gives dealers 3 days to remove car, so its going to be tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #11
Drew415
Private
Rep

Quote:
That CA works with a broker, so no DC didn't come recommended. Trouble was that OR with its mere 4.32 million population is considered the boonies and neither Reliable nor Intercity would bother to even give me a quote. To say that my transport options were limited is an understatement. You'll have a lot more options shipping to CA.
just got a quote back from Intercity - $2700 to ship from MS to CA. seems super pricey at over $1.00 per mile. Any suggestions guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Quote:
just got a quote back from Intercity - $2700 to ship from MS to CA. seems super pricey at over $1.00 per mile. Any suggestions guys?
MS might be a bit of a shipping backwater, like above for OR. Along with here, check out renlist and see what the Porsche guys use for Southern locations.

You could also take a couple days off around a weekend and drive it back. Get your first service out of the way real quick ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #13
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The good thing for the MS pickup is you have flexibility on timing. Pickup at PDC is limited to 3 day window. Thats tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So far, given the date restrictions, only Montway has said they can do it with a guaranteed pickup the day I'm down there. They claim its a 4 to 6 car hard enclosed trailer. Price didn't seem horrible at 1250. Can I trust them?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #15
Drew415
Private
Rep

I gave DC Auto Transport a call, got quoted 1600 from MS to CA. Checked their IG page as well. looks legit. probably will go with them
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I gave DC Auto Transport a call, got quoted 1600 from MS to CA. Checked their IG page as well. looks legit. probably will go with them
They are definitely legit. I used them and they treated my car like it was their own. No damage, was secured in the truck property, driver was responsive to texts and calls. Got to me in the time frame promised.

My delivery. I may have been a wee bit exited lol

Appreciate 1
Drew41561.50
      04-29-2021, 11:15 PM   #17
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Passport Transport. I'm picky and they were perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #18
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
I purchased my car in Galleria BMW in MS as well, and thought I'd leave my experience here so that others know what to expect when they take delivery of my car. I was out of town from April 24-26. The CA at Galleria said the truck driver would arrive sometime on April 27 or 28. I figured that wouldn't be a problem since I would be back already to take delivery of the car.

On the 24th (Saturday), my CA said the truck driver would actually arrive on April 25 (Sunday), one of the days that I was out of town and was two to three days earlier than quoted. I was not able to pick up the car on that day since I was out of town and also because my wire transfer had not cleared to the dealership's account yet so the earliest the car could be dropped off was the 26th (Monday). The truck driver demanded an extra $200 from me to stay an extra day, but the situation was not my fault because he actually arrived much earlier than agreed upon. So I had to fork over an extra $200 to the driver, and arrange for my girlfriend to pick up the car for me.

Point of the story is the driver is not great to work with and is horrible at providing delivery date estimates, so plan accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #19
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
I purchased my car in Galleria BMW in MS as well, and thought I'd leave my experience here so that others know what to expect when they take delivery of my car. I was out of town from April 24-26. The CA at Galleria said the truck driver would arrive sometime on April 27 or 28. I figured that wouldn't be a problem since I would be back already to take delivery of the car.

On the 24th (Saturday), my CA said the truck driver would actually arrive on April 25 (Sunday), one of the days that I was out of town and was two to three days earlier than quoted. I was not able to pick up the car on that day since I was out of town and also because my wire transfer had not cleared to the dealership's account yet so the earliest the car could be dropped off was the 26th (Monday). The truck driver demanded an extra $200 from me to stay an extra day, but the situation was not my fault because he actually arrived much earlier than agreed upon. So I had to fork over an extra $200 to the driver, and arrange for my girlfriend to pick up the car for me.

Point of the story is the driver is not great to work with and is horrible at providing delivery date estimates, so plan accordingly.
Well, for better or worse, that driver isn't an option for me. Apparently they are on vacation, hence my scrambling to find something.

I ended up having to go with Montway. None of the others were available when needed or didn't cover the route. I'm a little bit apprehensive about the whole thing. When I initially spoke with a rep, they said they could get an enclosed trailer to PCD on the date I was there. I asked about it being hard enclosed, as opposed to curtains, and whether it had a lift gate type entry. I was told yes to both and assured that a trailer like this was used for luxury/sports/classic cars. All of this seemed rather certain, so I asked if they had a truck in mind, to which they said yes. So after checking other options and coming up empty, I went with them. I then get a followup call saying that they may have a local pickup the day of to bring it to the long haul carrier and that it may need to sit in some lot until that long haul carrier arrives. This was not explained at first. The last thing I want is my car being load/unloaded multiple times by multiple drivers.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:12 AM   #20
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Well, for better or worse, that driver isn't an option for me. Apparently they are on vacation, hence my scrambling to find something.

I ended up having to go with Montway. None of the others were available when needed or didn't cover the route. I'm a little bit apprehensive about the whole thing. When I initially spoke with a rep, they said they could get an enclosed trailer to PCD on the date I was there. I asked about it being hard enclosed, as opposed to curtains, and whether it had a lift gate type entry. I was told yes to both and assured that a trailer like this was used for luxury/sports/classic cars. All of this seemed rather certain, so I asked if they had a truck in mind, to which they said yes. So after checking other options and coming up empty, I went with them. I then get a followup call saying that they may have a local pickup the day of to bring it to the long haul carrier and that it may need to sit in some lot until that long haul carrier arrives. This was not explained at first. The last thing I want is my car being load/unloaded multiple times by multiple drivers.
I would be very lery using Montway. They are a broker and will farm out the job to the cheapest bidder on a trucking board and pocket the difference. This means that you have no idea who will be transporting your car. Even worse if heavens forbid there is damage it is very hard to pin the cost to a party as Montway might try to blame the subcontractors who for all you know might be some less than honest people. I have heard stories about subcontractors holding your car hostage unless you pay them another $500 extra and crap like that. I might be overly concerned here and the thing might go butter smooth for you, but personally I would avoid brokers like the plague.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 09:53 PM   #21
Drew415
Private
Rep

Quote:

was the car damaged in any way? any cons besides the early delivery?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:38 AM   #22
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
was the car damaged in any way? any cons besides the early delivery?
No damage at all. He did give my girlfriend a bit of an attitude though since she can't drive stick and asked him to pull the car into the garage.

Also, didn't wear a mask so take extra precaution if you're not vaccinated yet.
Appreciate 1
Drew41561.50