BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C noob factory reset?

03-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
CigarManNY
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

M2C noob factory reset?

Hey folks, I just picked up a 2021 M2C 6MT. I purchased from dealer so I am not 100% sure if the prior owner did any coding to the car. My assumption is that he did because the annoying startup chime, nav disclaimer etc etc are all gone, which is a good thing.

I am curious, is there a way to "reset" the car back to factory settings to cancel out any potential major coding changes the prior owner might have made? My concern would be pertaining to engine, drivetrain, exhaust changes etc.

I do have an Ethernet obd cable handy.

Thanks in advance
      03-07-2022, 08:58 PM   #2
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarManNY View Post
Hey folks, I just picked up a 2021 M2C 6MT. I purchased from dealer so I am not 100% sure if the prior owner did any coding to the car. My assumption is that he did because the annoying startup chime, nav disclaimer etc etc are all gone, which is a good thing.

I am curious, is there a way to "reset" the car back to factory settings to cancel out any potential major coding changes the prior owner might have made? My concern would be pertaining to engine, drivetrain, exhaust changes etc.

Thanks in advance
I have Bimmercode and used it to make a number of changes including start up message, folding mirrors and ASD. Returning them to stock varies depending upon the specific item changed. Startup message and folding mirrors requiring turning them off/on individually, whereas ASD requires restoring a backup. AFAIK, there is no way in Bimmercode to do a systemwide reset. The other app, BimmerLink, may allow it, but again, i don't know. I assume the dealer can do a system reset for you. Others here are very knowledgeable on the topic. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Take care. Contented
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 09:17 PM   #3
CigarManNY
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by contented View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance
I have Bimmercode and used it to make a number of changes including start up message, folding mirrors and ASD. Returning them to stock varies depending upon the specific item changed. Startup message and folding mirrors requiring turning them off/on individually, whereas ASD requires restoring a backup. AFAIK, there is no way in Bimmercode to do a systemwide reset. The other app, BimmerLink, may allow it, but again, i don't know. I assume the dealer can do a system reset for you. Others here are very knowledgeable on the topic. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Take care. Contented
Thank you, yes that's my objective here.. to basically reset it as I don't know if the previous had changed anything pertaining to throttle, engine, exhaust etc etc. never know and clearly the dealer didn't wipe it sense there's remnants of the coding he did do.
      03-07-2022, 09:32 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Thank you, yes that's my objective here.. to basically reset it as I don't know if the previous had changed anything pertaining to throttle, engine, exhaust etc etc. never know and clearly the dealer didn't wipe it sense there's remnants of the coding he did do.
I wouldn't be too concerned.
The functions you mention are mainly ECU related and not accessible.
The ECUs are protected far more than they used to be, especially the '21s
Burbles can be switched off, but not much else.

There are many module systems functions accessible via an app such as Bimmercode.
It's a simple DIY to go in and check these
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #5
CigarManNY
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't be too concerned.
The functions you mention are mainly ECU related and not accessible.
The ECUs are protected far more than they used to be, especially the '21s
Burbles can be switched off, but not much else.

There are many module systems functions accessible via an app such as Bimmercode.
It's a simple DIY to go in and check these
Ah okay really good to know that the ECU is locked up.

I was debating just disconnecting the battery overnight but it sounds like it's a moot point?

Yeah I will get one of those Bluetooth OBD's. Guy had a non resonated AA mid pipe but I think he left the asd / burbles on, I'm thinking take the ASD and burbles off.. assuming it's the same setting.

Cheers