BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > 2021 M2C build thread - help with options

08-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

2021 M2C build thread - help with options

I have an allocation in status 111 that is scheduled to go into production at the end of the month. So now is the time to finalize my spec.

I am set on:
- Hockenheim Silver
- No moonroof
- Exec package (for the upgraded LEDs only, the rest of the pkg is useless)
- 6MT obviously

I am being really indecisive and waffling back and forth on these two things:
- 788M wheel color
- Blue or orange interior stitching

Both of these decisions are both subjective and I'm sure I'll be thrilled no matter what I end up with. But I still have to order one of them .

Wheel color:

I was pretty set on the "black" (really gunmetal) wheels initially. But looking at some more photos specifically with HS paint, the awesome 788M details seem to get "lost" in the darker wheels. I can only imagine how much more that will be the case when the wheels are covered in brake dust.

The other hesitation I have with the "black" wheels is that in certain lights they give me a ricer vibe for the overall car. Not sure what it is as I usually love darker wheels (had them on my M240) but it's something to do with HS. I think the black wheels look awesome on SO paint, for example.

Downside of the bi-color wheels is that there is no other chrome/silver on the exterior of the M2C (thank you BMW). So they kind of stand out and don't match anything on the exterior, but they also show the detail of the wheels much better.

Of course, I am assuming that the bi-color wheels will look like the black wheels 48 hours after a wash. So maybe this is all moot?

Interior stitching:

Oh man, this is a tough one. I don't LOVE either color, but I don't hate them either. My number one gripe with both is that they clash with the M stripes on the steering wheel and seat belts. Not to mention the red start/stop button which doesn't match anything else in the car.

This is where I wish BMW had gone the p-car route a bit. The orange interior would look incredible with matching solid orange seat belts. Same with the blue. But alas, we have awesome M stitching on the steering wheel and seat belts that totally clash with both interior color options.

I hope this doesn't come off as a rant. I am super excited for my M2C no matter what options I pick. I'm just choosing to exercise my impatience by waffling over these two decisions and would love to hear input from other M2C owners.

Too bad dealers barely keep any M2Cs in stock. Otherwise I'd just go look at these side to side in person and make my decision there.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

788M wheel color -- Black
- Blue or orange interior stitching -- Orange

I went with above. Orange stitching looks great, blue looks boring
      08-14-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
I have an allocation in status 111 that is scheduled to go into production at the end of the month. So now is the time to finalize my spec.

I am set on:
- Hockenheim Silver
- No moonroof
- 6MT obviously

I am being really indecisive and waffling back and forth on these two things:
- 788M wheel color
- Blue or orange interior stitching

Both of these decisions are both subjective and I'm sure I'll be thrilled no matter what I end up with. But I still have to order one of them .

Wheel color:

I was pretty set on the "black" (really gunmetal) wheels initially. But looking at some more photos specifically with HS paint, the awesome 788M details seem to get "lost" in the darker wheels. I can only imagine how much more that will be the case when the wheels are covered in brake dust.

The other hesitation I have with the "black" wheels is that in certain lights they give me a ricer vibe for the overall car. Not sure what it is as I usually love darker wheels (had them on my M240) but it's something to do with HS. I think the black wheels look awesome on SO paint, for example.

Downside of the bi-color wheels is that there is no other chrome/silver on the exterior of the M2C (thank you BMW). So they kind of stand out and don't match anything on the exterior, but they also show the detail of the wheels much better.

Of course, I am assuming that the bi-color wheels will look like the black wheels 48 hours after a wash. So maybe this is all moot?

Interior stitching:

Oh man, this is a tough one. I don't LOVE either color, but I don't hate them either. My number one gripe with both is that they clash with the M stripes on the steering wheel and seat belts. Not to mention the red start/stop button which doesn't match anything else in the car.

This is where I wish BMW had gone the p-car route a bit. The orange interior would look incredible with matching solid orange seat belts. Same with the blue. But alas, we have awesome M stitching on the steering wheel and seat belts that totally clash with both interior color options.

I hope this doesn't come off as a rant. I am super excited for my M2C no matter what options I pick. I'm just choosing to exercise my impatience by waffling over these two decisions and would love to hear input from other M2C owners.

Too bad dealers barely keep any M2Cs in stock. Otherwise I'd just go look at these side to side in person and make my decision there.
I think the black wheels and the blue stitching look better with the HS. If the orange was closer to red, I would have chosen it, but to my eye, the orange trim on the seats and shifter does not match up well with the silver.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

As you said color is subjective but the "black" 788 will look great if you plan to add any carbon fiber parts - spoiler, lip, winglets. The black will tie the look together.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Wheels in black seems to contrast better with the color and as noted above plays well with carbon fiber additions as well as window tint. Also brake dust may not be quite as visible quite as fast.

For interior color, I can say vast majority seem to be blue. I wasn't sure what I wanted. My 1m had orange so I thought it would be fun to do something different with this car. I wasn't real enthused with the blue in photos but in person it looks great. Either is a good choice so pick which one you like best and if you don't have a fav then blue will likely be a bit easier resell down the road (if you care).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
keylime503
Major
Rep

Thanks all for the input so far.

Sounds like everyone who orders orange loves orange in person, it's just so hard to get a gauge of how it looks like in photos! I had Coral Red interior in my last BMW and it always looked totally different (and worse) in photos than it did in person. So I'm very familiar with BMW interior colors that look much better in photos, it's just hard to take the plunge without seeing it in person.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Wheels in black seems to contrast better with the color and as noted above plays well with carbon fiber additions as well as window tint. Also brake dust may not be quite as visible quite as fast.

For interior color, I can say vast majority seem to be blue. I wasn't sure what I wanted. My 1m had orange so I thought it would be fun to do something different with this car. I wasn't real enthused with the blue in photos but in person it looks great. Either is a good choice so pick which one you like best and if you don't have a fav then blue will likely be a bit easier resell down the road (if you care).
I would pick orange as a tribute to the 1m
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
keylime503
Major
Rep

Drove out to the closest dealership that had an orange interior M2C today. Wow, it looks NOTHING like photos online. Reminds me of coral red - a beautiful BMW color that looks completely different (and a lot worse) in photos than it does in person. 100% going orange now, it's not even comparable now that I've seen both in person.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #9
keylime503
Major
Rep

Final build:

Hockenheim Silver
Orange Stitching
6MT
Exec Package
"Black" 788M wheels
No moonroof
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      08-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Final build:

Hockenheim Silver
Orange Stitching
6MT
Exec Package
"Black" 788M wheels
No moonroof
Gonna love it Key!

I do love how you put BLACK in parenthesis for the 788 wheels.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #11
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Gonna love it Key!

I do love how you put BLACK in parenthesis for the 788 wheels.

///AVM
Thankfully, I found a HS/Blue/"black"788M car at one dealership nearby and then a BSM/Orange/Gold763M car about 40 minutes away. Saw them both this weekend, made me feel much better about my choices. All three choices (HS, orange stitching, "black" 788M) look significantly different in person than online. Definitely worth the drive (not like we have anything else to do).

And now, we wait to enter production
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      08-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Drove out to the closest dealership that had an orange interior M2C today. Wow, it looks NOTHING like photos online. Reminds me of coral red - a beautiful BMW color that looks completely different (and a lot worse) in photos than it does in person. 100% going orange now, it's not even comparable now that I've seen both in person.
yes Orange looks more reddish in person and looks much better on black seats than blue stitching. Saw one in person and ordered orange
      08-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #13
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Final build:

Hockenheim Silver
Orange Stitching
6MT
Exec Package
"Black" 788M wheels
No moonroof
same build as mine except I ordered with moonroof
      08-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #14
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Thankfully, I found a HS/Blue/"black"788M car at one dealership nearby and then a BSM/Orange/Gold763M car about 40 minutes away. Saw them both this weekend, made me feel much better about my choices. All three choices (HS, orange stitching, "black" 788M) look significantly different in person than online. Definitely worth the drive (not like we have anything else to do).

And now, we wait to enter production
Key

Sorry, I thought you highlighted BLACK 788 wheels to suggest some sarcasm . . . as the BLACK wheels are as bi-colored as the so-called 'bi-color' wheel color option.

At any rate, I do like the 763 wheels, but think the 788 option looks better on the M2C . . . and not a fan of the gold.

Looking forward to your taking delivery.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #15
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Key

Sorry, I thought you highlighted BLACK 788 wheels to suggest some sarcasm . . . as the BLACK wheels are as bi-colored as the so-called 'bi-color' wheel color option.

At any rate, I do like the 763 wheels, but think the 788 option looks better on the M2C . . . and not a fan of the gold.

Looking forward to your taking delivery.

///AVM
My point was that both wheel names are misleading. Both options are bi-color in the sense that both options have black inner parts and a lighter color on the outer face. The only difference is that the outer face on one option is silver and the other is charcoal. Neither is black.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      08-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #16
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Ordered a 2021 m2 comp last week.

The initial order when it was put in was a hockenheim silver car w/ grey brake calipers, I changed color to LBB before it hit 112 status, but the updated build now shows blue brake calipers.

Any difference btwn grey and blue calipers or is this color matching with exterior paint option?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
robertm
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Ordered a 2021 m2 comp last week.

The initial order when it was put in was a hockenheim silver car w/ grey brake calipers, I changed color to LBB before it hit 112 status, but the updated build now shows blue brake calipers.

Any difference btwn grey and blue calipers or is this color matching with exterior paint option?
If you are stateside all come with the grey calipers. They are the larger units which are an option in other parts of the world. A few people have noted what you did on their 2021 orders but rest assured your getting the big brakes and they will be in grey.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #18
robertm
Major
Rep

Quote:
Final build:

Hockenheim Silver
Orange Stitching
6MT
Exec Package
"Black" 788M wheels
No moonroof
Congrats! Glad you got to see in person. I don't think you can go wrong with either interior color or really any exterior color on this car. Now the hard part, the wait!

Just out of curiosity, did you look around the country at all to see if one is available? Your spec is pretty common and likely you could get a decent discount if you work the deal a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #19
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Congrats! Glad you got to see in person. I don't think you can go wrong with either interior color or really any exterior color on this car. Now the hard part, the wait!

Just out of curiosity, did you look around the country at all to see if one is available? Your spec is pretty common and likely you could get a decent discount if you work the deal a bit.
I found a couple but nothing that didn't have $3k+ of frivolous port and dealer accessories I don't care for. I also don't need a car right now so I'm not in any sort of rush.
Appreciate 1
robertm449.50
      08-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #20
noma
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I found a couple but nothing that didn't have $3k+ of frivolous port and dealer accessories I don't care for. I also don't need a car right now so I'm not in any sort of rush.
Where did you end getting your allocation? Not a lot of budging on MSRP in California
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:11 AM   #21
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by noma View Post
Where did you end getting your allocation? Not a lot of budging on MSRP in California
I had the same experience in NorCal but there are some willing to deal. I had an offer of 5.5% but another dealer offered 5.75%
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #22
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:

I am set on:
- Hockenheim Silver
- No moonroof
- 6MT obviously
My build as well ^

I chose black wheels and blue stitching, although I upgraded to the black 763M wheels. The adaptive LEDs are worth it as you said.

I love the blue stitch and OEM black wheels if staying OEM. Color is subjective. Either choice will look great I'm sure.

Last edited by devo; 08-20-2020 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0