BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW will cut no-cost maintenance program to 3yr/36k for MY2017, and exclude items

View Poll Results: How likely are you to consider another brand after seeing the BMW MP changes?
Definitely will 271 37.28%
Most likely will 124 17.06%
Possibly will 185 25.45%
No chance 147 20.22%
Voters: 727. You may not vote on this poll

01-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #595
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Name:  JusKidding.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  96.8 KB

01-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #596
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
No doubt it's disappointing, but in reality it doesn't affect very much that actually needs service in the current 4 yr/50k miles coverage.

The majority of modern cars don't need brake work before 50k miles. Belts last well beyond 4 years and 50k miles. As do clutches.

The main things lost are one oil change and some wiper blade replacements.
Not true at all. My last BMW I replaced the brakes before 30k miles. This one say brakes will be needed at 26k miles. If people didn't need new brakes they wouldn't change the rules.

They must think people don't value the current coverage. I doubt I would buy another BMW with the plan changed. If you remove what separates you from other brands I think it will hurt sales.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #597
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Not true at all. My last BMW I replaced the brakes before 30k miles. This one say brakes will be needed at 26k miles. If people didn't need new brakes they wouldn't change the rules.

They must think people don't value the current coverage. I doubt I would buy another BMW with the plan changed. If you remove what separates you from other brands I think it will hurt sales.
And what are the other free maintenance plans?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #598
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Just to clarify, the warranty has not changed and remains at 4yr/50k. But the service maintenance got skinnier.

Not surprised, BMW has won the luxury car crown the last several yrs, why offer up free services that don't make cents....
I value the service at 2k. I have been getting free oil changes ever 4500 to 5000 miles. Throw in full brakes, wipers etc that is probably what 1400 dollars of lost value.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #599
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Funny how maint. Makes you switch to Audi..
Because Audi offers better value at the same price. Take away free maintain ace and BMW can't compete. I guess for people leasing it doesn't matter as BMW leases seem to be a lot cheaper than Audi.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #600
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
No difference here. Could never get those under maintenance here in Canada or even know if it was even possible to. I was always under the impression that wear/tear items would never be covered - why would they? If you abuse your car, why should BMW cover the cost? Of those items not covered, none ever needed to be replaced within the first 4 years for any of the BMWs or Mercedes that my family has owned and neither has any relative.

If you're a casual driver, this shouldn't really have any effect. The people annoyed or angry are those who probably track or drive their car hard. Not judging but I simply think it's an overreaction. At the end of the day, it's still better than Mercedes which requires you to buy a maintenance package.
Why would you own a BMW if you don't drive it hard? Better luxury cars out there. That is what gets me about people complaining about 18k between oil changes. Drive the car the way it is meant to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #601
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
They have to find money to prop up the i-program. They won't see a profit from the investment for a long time.
Hard to sell people on electric cars when gas is a 1.50 a gallon and dropping.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #602
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I respectfully disagree with this statement.

I am the hardcore enthusiast among my family and acquaintances. You should hear the whinging and moaning that they engage in when the maintenance and warranty's are up. This includes a people that can MORE THAN AFFORD the upkeep and repairs. They are KEENLY AWARE of this. Additionally, I've spent enough time at the dealership to hear the shock and horror of people when they get the bill for their first out of plan maintenance. It typically isn't pretty.

Your final statement is absolutely correct...we are not the average owners in any respect. The general public, especially those who are transitioning from Honda's, entry level Lexus/Toyota's, etc. into their first BMW factor this into their decision to move upmarket.

Cheers-mk
Yes, but you're talking about people who have experienced the "free" service and are having to adjust to paying....or deciding to trade in so they don't have to adjust.

I'm just talking about my experience with average customers over the time I worked as a BMW CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
At least until recently, BMW very much used no-cost maintenance in their branding. It was all over the commercials and print ads.
That's true, but it's pretty amazing how little of that advertising sinks in.

Oddball that I am I tend to pay pretty close attention to commercials much of the time, because I've found I learn about products and offers I wouldn't know about otherwise.

From my experience with family and friends they typically pay almost no attention (especially to details) when commercials come on.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #603
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Since the competition does not offer 4 year free maintenance, what you are really saying is the only reason you are driving BMWs is that they offer a great free maintenance program; otherwise you would have other brands in your stable now. Is that correct? If correct, you are making car choices based on the free maintenance programs, not the attributes of the product itself. If not correct, why would you leave BMW because they lessened their free maintenance to go to a brand that doesn't offer a better program.

Either way, I don't understand your logic.
It is the price of the car. I evaluate the free maintained plan being worth 2k. If my BMW were 2k higher in price I would have went with Audi. If they reduce the price of the cars by 2k because of the change than it is not problematic. They already can't compete on interiors or styling with Audi.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #604
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
It is the price of the car. I evaluate the free maintained plan being worth 2k. If my BMW were 2k higher in price I would have went with Audi. If they reduce the price of the cars by 2k because of the change than it is not problematic. They already can't compete on interiors or styling with Audi.
You realize, of course, that this is strictly your personal opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #605
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
I know what you meant, I mean I see the bills that come out of our dealer. And if you cannot afford a BMW why would you buy one? You don't walk into a Ferrari dealer asking if free maint. is included? If you can't afford to pay for the 2000$ brake service than stay clear buy your civic or corolla? It's an investment your making. If you can't afford to throw out 3500-4300$ a year on maint I suggest not buying.
That is what people are saying they won't buy because they don't want to pay the 2k brake job. How hard is that to understand? It is 2k increase in the price of the car with no added benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #606
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
You realize, of course, that this is strictly your personal opinion.
The quality of material in the interior of similarly priced Audi are higher in quality than BMW. Appearance is subjective but the BMW designs have gotten very boring since Bangle left IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #607
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
The quality of material in the interior of similarly priced Audi are higher in quality than BMW. Appearance is subjective but the BMW designs have gotten very boring since Bangle left IMHO.
Yes, in your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #608
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Being able to afford something and wanting to pay it are completely different things. Good luck on justifying what you are selling based on how much money the buyer has.

Also, a luxury car is a horrible investment, you had better want it for other reasons. Drops in value faster, costs more to insure, maintain, and repair, it's no more of an investment than an expensive vacation is.
Yeah that is what gets me when salesmen says what payment can you afford when talking price. What I can afford and what I am willing to spend on the car are not correlated.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #609
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, in your opinion.
Obviously my opinion. I am not speaking for Donald Trump. It is a message board people speak their opinion. If they didn't there wouldn't be many posts.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #610
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
No need. They are not only lurking, they predicted the reaction before the announcement and they probably guess within a couple percent of what the poll indicates. They also know a couple of things more: 1) The emotional responses that feed this poll will subside by the time we actually go make our next car purchase. 2) They know that if BMW is the car you want to drive otherwise, this change is not going to affect the ultimate decision for most buyers since the competitions' plans free maintenance plans are even worse than BMW's new plan. 3) They have predicted how many buyers will actually leave the brand vs how much money they will save and decided to move forward with the decision based on that analysis. These guys and gals know what they are doing. As a business person I really admire their growth from a niche enthusiast player in the 80s to an amazing global brand today. Its incredibly hard to do what they have done and it isn't luck. So, send the poll results. They are already off working on their next decision.
Of course they could be wrong. VW is the biggest car company in the world in cars sold and they thought that it would be cheaper to have their vehicles deceive emission tests than to buy Mercedes technology or develop their own. They just gave me a 1000 dollars for the mistake and I am sure they will giving me and the government much more.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #611
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Obviously my opinion. I am not speaking for Donald Trump. It is a message board people speak their opinion. If they didn't there wouldn't be many posts.
I understand that and people having an opinion doesn't bother me. It is when they state their opinion like it was fact that bothers me. There is a lot of difference between saying "The quality of material in the interior of similarly priced Audi are higher in quality than BMW" and saying "I think that the quality of material in the interior of similarly priced Audi are higher in quality than BMW."
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #612
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I understand that and people having an opinion doesn't bother me. It is when they state their opinion like it was fact that bothers me. There is a lot of difference between saying "The quality of material in the interior of similarly priced Audi are higher in quality than BMW" and saying "I think that the quality of material in the interior of similarly priced Audi are higher in quality than BMW."
Well you should infer that is someone's opinion soon as you see the word styling. Which is what I used in my original post. We aren't talking 1/4 mile times or braking distances.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #613
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

Make's perfect sense for you. For me, I would never let $2k get between me and the car I want to drive. Heck, I have 6 times that number just in upgrades off the base sticker price just to get the car I really really want. It wouldn't cross my mind to leave BMW for $500 or $1,000 unless I wanted the other brand for other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #614
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Of course they could be wrong. VW is the biggest car company in the world in cars sold and they thought that it would be cheaper to have their vehicles deceive emission tests than to buy Mercedes technology or develop their own. They just gave me a 1000 dollars for the mistake and I am sure they will giving me and the government much more.
I suppose so. If they are wrong about the impact on sales with this reduced program they will make adjustments. This is what companies do.

Look, some of you rightfully complaining about this take away will no doubt move to another brand. Some would have moved anyway. Some will move just because of the value comparison or they are just plain pi$$ed. I'm just saying that many other (who knows what percent) will calm down and when their next car purchase comes up, this take away won't be a big factor since they can't find another car company with a car they want over a BMW with a program as good as the reduced program BMW is offering. Sounds like you may be in the first group.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #615
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Funny how maint. Makes you switch to Audi..
Because Audi offers better value at the same price. Take away free maintain ace and BMW can't compete. I guess for people leasing it doesn't matter as BMW leases seem to be a lot cheaper than Audi.
Better value?? How? The S4 for instance is more than the 335/340. It is slower, handles worse, and lease rates that are higher..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #616
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Guys it might be best to just ignore his post, it really adds no value to this discussion. Ignore him than he has no one to respond to.
Appreciate 0