BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Air vent rattle

10-20-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC, glacier silver

Air vent rattle

Guys, this is driving crazy.

Air vent, right side (passenger) is rattling when I'm on bad roads (whether ventilation is on or off). As soon as I put my hands on it, it stops.

Anyone has a diy fix for this? I've tried adding some felt/velcro inside so that the horizontal blades are a little tighter, but it didn't change anything…
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypopo View Post
Guys, this is driving crazy.

Air vent, right side (passenger) is rattling when I'm on bad roads (whether ventilation is on or off). As soon as I put my hands on it, it stops.

Anyone has a diy fix for this? I've tried adding some felt/velcro inside so that the horizontal blades are a little tighter, but it didn't change anything…
I stumbled upon a video of a diy fix for a 235i that shared the same vents looong ago but now that I’m annoyed enough to take action I can’t locate it.

I share your pain sir. It’s maddening. I don’t want to have someone pull the vents without a plan of what to replace.

Last edited by ///393; 10-20-2022 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
rllamarca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
You can easily remove that vent and add felt tape around the trim ring and where it meets the HVAC tubing behind the dash.

Open the passenger door and look at the side of the dash that is normally covered when the door is closed. There is a panel there - use a trim tool to get behind it and remove it ( this might require that you pull the door weather stripping away slightly).

Now you should be able to look in that hole and see the vent. Use your hand to push it toward the seat and out of the dash.

Apply tesa tape where desired and reinstall using the reverse of the above instructions. It should take you all of 10 minutes. I did this to mine and it helped.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2022, 11:28 PM   #4
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllamarca View Post
You can easily remove that vent and add felt tape around the trim ring and where it meets the HVAC tubing behind the dash.

Open the passenger door and look at the side of the dash that is normally covered when the door is closed. There is a panel there - use a trim tool to get behind it and remove it ( this might require that you pull the door weather stripping away slightly).

Now you should be able to look in that hole and see the vent. Use your hand to push it toward the seat and out of the dash.

Apply tesa tape where desired and reinstall using the reverse of the above instructions. It should take you all of 10 minutes. I did this to mine and it helped.
Wow awesome, thanks !
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 08:52 AM   #5
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Angry

I've had this rattle start up in the passenger (righthand side) air vent. It only occurs when the car is cold — now that the mornings are getting colder here in California. After the car has been parked in the sun all day at work, there's no rattle. The car had been essentially rattle-/buzz-free during my nearly two years of ownership. I guess that's pretty good for a 2018 MY car.

This rattle is an annoying one to be sure! Unless the road is perfectly smooth, there's a clicky rattle over every bump and road seam.

I'm going to try the felt tape option mentioned above by rllamarca and see how it goes.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2023, 04:54 PM   #6
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
I've had this rattle start up in the passenger (righthand side) air vent. It only occurs when the car is cold — now that the mornings are getting colder here in California. After the car has been parked in the sun all day at work, there's no rattle. The car had been essentially rattle-/buzz-free during my nearly two years of ownership. I guess that's pretty good for a 2018 MY car.

This rattle is an annoying one to be sure! Unless the road is perfectly smooth, there's a clicky rattle over every bump and road seam.

I'm going to try the felt tape option mentioned above by rllamarca and see how it goes.
Good luck! Never got able to fix mine…
Appreciate 0