BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Valance Panel Support - What do they do (besides the obvious)?

08-14-2022, 11:28 PM   #1
daxbox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 991.1 50th, E46 M3, F87 M2

Valance Panel Support - What do they do (besides the obvious)?

I found these two pieces (pictured) in the trunk of an M2 I just purchased; apparently they're the valance panel support that go right above the exhaust openings, behind the rear diffuser where they're not visible. Was going to reinstall them, but thought I'd check the experts here first: Any idea as to why the previous owner may have taken them off and/or why I may not want to put them back? Do they create a rattle when in place? Or is this a popular 400gram weight-saving mod ?
Attached Images

'12 Q5
'16 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Those hold the stock rear "diffuser" piece in place. They have to come off if an aftermarket one is installed, and are rarely compatible with aftermarket ones. I don't even think the official M-Perf diffuser clips into them properly, at least I have yet to see an official M-perf diffuser that had these put back.

It's pretty tricky/difficult to get them back in without lowering the exhaust. All in all, they're not critical to put back on.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
daxbox57.50