BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Exhaust valve not working

01-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
FattyBoy
Old Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Exhaust valve not working

I recently picked up a Remus catback exhaust secondhand. Love the exhaust but I noticed that both exhaust valves do not close in comfort mode or when shut-off. Drove it around for a day and switched between driving modes and noticed no difference in sound. I checked the fuse (146/147) and it looked fine. Tried plugging the original actuator directly to the harness and it still didn't work. It's not the end of the world since I like it loud but I would prefer to have the option to close it just in case. Is there anything else I can check? Could both actuators be broken? Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly_M2 View Post
I recently picked up a Remus catback exhaust secondhand. Love the exhaust but I noticed that both exhaust valves do not close in comfort mode or when shut-off. Drove it around for a day and switched between driving modes and noticed no difference in sound. I checked the fuse (146/147) and it looked fine. Tried plugging the original actuator directly to the harness and it still didn't work. It's not the end of the world since I like it loud but I would prefer to have the option to close it just in case. Is there anything else I can check? Could both actuators be broken? Thanks in advanced.
I have a Remus exhaust on my '18 M2 and the valves never closed at idle in any driving mode. Even with the car off, they stayed open. They might close at a certain RPM while driving but I could never really tell. I ended up adding a CG Precision VSC-1 valve controller and now I can open and close them whenever I want.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:08 AM   #3
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly_M2 View Post
IIRC the valve operation on the OGM2 was not as simple as changing modes to close or open.
It opens and closes based on rpm and driving/engine condition. There was a chart somewhere but can't find it right now.

You'd need to get a dedicated valve controller if you want full control. I wouldn't worry about it too much though.
Have Remus on mine as well. See a LEO or in a quiet neighborhood, get back to comfort and just short shift to a higher gear and roll on by.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG///M View Post
IIRC the valve operation on the OGM2 was not as simple as changing modes to close or open.
It opens and closes based on rpm and driving/engine condition. There was a chart somewhere but can't find it right now.

You'd need to get a dedicated valve controller if you want full control. I wouldn't worry about it too much though.
Have Remus on mine as well. See a LEO or in a quiet neighborhood, get back to comfort and just short shift to a higher gear and roll on by.
+1 on this. He is correct.

The valve logic isn't dictated by the exhaust but I'm sure you know that already OP.

Best thing I ever did was purchase the CG Precision VSC-1 valve controller and pair it with the Homelink buttons in the rearview mirror.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
FattyBoy
Old Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Appreciate all the help! I will look into getting a valve controller
Appreciate 0