BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2C vs 2021 Supra

01-02-2021, 04:11 AM   #89
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

So i recently sold my M2 Competition for a 2021 GR Supra. Now it was more due to the fact that medically i cannot drive a MT daily anymore as it puts too much pressure on my ankle and will cause it to swell and cause me a ton of pain.

That being said i figured i'd do this writeup if anyone was considering one over the other.

Exterior:The M2C is built better than the Supra. The door handles on the Supra are very obviously plastic and squeak when you pull on the handle. Theres more plastic all around the car than i expected. The fake vent on the door is one huge bit of plastic that also squeaks if you push on it.
Visually however, the Supra is a rockstar. I constantly get comments on the car. The M2 looked like any other 2 door BMW to most people. And mine was wrapped in a matte purple too to stand out even more. Just today going through the In & Out drive through i got comments from every single worker. If you want the subtle sleeper, get the M2, if you want to stand out and get approached and talked to about the car? get the Supra

Interior:Funny enough i got the A91 Supra with the blue stitching and so it directly resembles the M2C interior also with the blue stitching. That being said the Supra seats are more comfortable. They are just bolstered more cushy and the lumbar feels better. Theres also a surprisingly more footspace and legroom in the Supra. I regularly would bang my knee against the steering column in the M2 at 6'3" but i dont have that issue in the Supra. I much prefer the digital cluster in the Supra, but thats because i like shiny digital futuristic looking things.

Performance: As others have stated, the Supra is faster than the m2 0-60 and on the track. The ZF transmission is lightning fast and Toyota has done a great job tweaking it so it reacts how you would want to if kept in AT mode. That aside, you sit way lower in the Supra. Thats something i prefer. With the M2 its very much a sit on top feeling. The Supra you feel inside. The M2 out of the two feels way more raw. The Supra feels on rails in turns, but the M2 feels more like a choose your own direction rollercoaster. Thats not to say it doesnt handle like its on rails, but i mean more in the sense it feels way more raw. The Supra is more comfy in its handling but i feel like that was on purpose.
As far as powerdelivery, the M2 is more violent. The twin turbos kicking in so quick and pulling all the way to redline is insane. However i also felt that because of that, the MT was harder to drive around town in Sport+, not to mention BMW's MT tend to be soooo jerky between 1-2, i found myself needing to modulate the throttle way more than i wanted to. I'm pretty sure its not this way with the DCT but i actually stopped enjoying driving a MT.

Overall: I prefer the Supra. Its more comfy, it feels smoother on throttle, it looks more aggressive, i like the seats more, it gets better gas mileage and i prefer the seating position.

Dont get me wrong, the M2 COmpetition is an amazing car. And if i had gotten it with the DCT, i wouldnt have looked twice at the Supra. However situations as they are put me in the car i ultimatly prefer.
Appreciate 3
baege1332.00
Moflow2484.50
Fined243.00
      01-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #90
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
So i recently sold my M2 Competition for a 2021 GR Supra. Now it was more due to the fact that medically i cannot drive a MT daily anymore as it puts too much pressure on my ankle and will cause it to swell and cause me a ton of pain.

That being said i figured i'd do this writeup if anyone was considering one over the other.

Exterior:The M2C is built better than the Supra. The door handles on the Supra are very obviously plastic and squeak when you pull on the handle. Theres more plastic all around the car than i expected. The fake vent on the door is one huge bit of plastic that also squeaks if you push on it.
Visually however, the Supra is a rockstar. I constantly get comments on the car. The M2 looked like any other 2 door BMW to most people. And mine was wrapped in a matte purple too to stand out even more. Just today going through the In & Out drive through i got comments from every single worker. If you want the subtle sleeper, get the M2, if you want to stand out and get approached and talked to about the car? get the Supra

Interior:Funny enough i got the A91 Supra with the blue stitching and so it directly resembles the M2C interior also with the blue stitching. That being said the Supra seats are more comfortable. They are just bolstered more cushy and the lumbar feels better. Theres also a surprisingly more footspace and legroom in the Supra. I regularly would bang my knee against the steering column in the M2 at 6'3" but i dont have that issue in the Supra. I much prefer the digital cluster in the Supra, but thats because i like shiny digital futuristic looking things.

Performance: As others have stated, the Supra is faster than the m2 0-60 and on the track. The ZF transmission is lightning fast and Toyota has done a great job tweaking it so it reacts how you would want to if kept in AT mode. That aside, you sit way lower in the Supra. Thats something i prefer. With the M2 its very much a sit on top feeling. The Supra you feel inside. The M2 out of the two feels way more raw. The Supra feels on rails in turns, but the M2 feels more like a choose your own direction rollercoaster. Thats not to say it doesnt handle like its on rails, but i mean more in the sense it feels way more raw. The Supra is more comfy in its handling but i feel like that was on purpose.
As far as powerdelivery, the M2 is more violent. The twin turbos kicking in so quick and pulling all the way to redline is insane. However i also felt that because of that, the MT was harder to drive around town in Sport+, not to mention BMW's MT tend to be soooo jerky between 1-2, i found myself needing to modulate the throttle way more than i wanted to. I'm pretty sure its not this way with the DCT but i actually stopped enjoying driving a MT.

Overall: I prefer the Supra. Its more comfy, it feels smoother on throttle, it looks more aggressive, i like the seats more, it gets better gas mileage and i prefer the seating position.

Dont get me wrong, the M2 COmpetition is an amazing car. And if i had gotten it with the DCT, i wouldnt have looked twice at the Supra. However situations as they are put me in the car i ultimatly prefer.
interesting real world write up

if the supra was available in manual, I would have have had a tough time choosing between it and the M2C

the one thing you don't comment on is the character of the s55 vs the b58. I had an m240i and the b58 is much more synthetic than the S55, it doesn't rev the same and feels more utilitarian. The s55 engages me in a way that the b58 never did.

just another consideration for anyone cross shopping the 2, really can't go wrong with either.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #91
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Nice write up. I too would have a hard time deciding, but would probably go Supra if it had a manual option...and if you could keep the windows down while driving it
      01-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #92
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Nice write up. I too would have a hard time deciding, but would probably go Supra if it had a manual option...and if you could keep the windows down while driving it
luckily there are really cheap fixes which remove that issue completely which i have done with mine. I have zero wind buffeting issues and drive with both windows down regularly.

I agree i think the Supra would sway more people if it came with a MT option. A big part of the community does think that the 2.0 will come with one first and then the 3.0 possibly for the last year or so of the car. I believe they only plan to run the Supra till 2025.

baege Thats true i didnt really touch on the engines that much. THe S55 is so raw and powerful feeling. For me it was almost like having a V6 but with the smoothness of an inline 6. The B58, is definetly the more smooth sounding and feeling of the two. And i think it helps define the more GT aspect of the Supra. A lot of people have this weird fantasy that the S58 will go into the Supra eventually, but honestly i dont see that happening. S engines have always been more visceral in my opinion and that helps the M cars define themselves from the M spec line or the base models.
Appreciate 1
baege1332.00
      01-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #93
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

@xxyion sad to see you go as I remember we were looking at picking up the M2C around the same time. But a change is never a bad thing and the Supra is more of a sports car in terms of architecture than the M2C. Enjoy your ride and please update us your impressions after the honeymoon phase!
      01-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #94
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
@xxyion sad to see you go as I remember we were looking at picking up the M2C around the same time. But a change is never a bad thing and the Supra is more of a sports car in terms of architecture than the M2C. Enjoy your ride and please update us your impressions after the honeymoon phase!
I've actually had the car for about a month and a half at this point. I do miss the M2 C quite a bit, its a fantastic car. But for the money, the Supra is just a totally different monster.

I'll come back and update once i'm a few more months in.

Heres a pic of her.
Appreciate 6
JCZ51482.50
Moflow2484.50
Fined243.00
fullstack337.50
      01-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #95
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Congrats! Love how they look and I am a little jealous sometimes of the dedicated sports car chassis and the seating position. Toyota would’ve gotten me if theyd offered a manual (just my preference, I think the AT in there is probably pretty great but they’re not my thing)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 01:32 AM   #96
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

xxyion Nice write up. Car looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #97
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I've actually had the car for about a month and a half at this point. I do miss the M2 C quite a bit, its a fantastic car. But for the money, the Supra is just a totally different monster.

I'll come back and update once i'm a few more months in.

Heres a pic of her. [IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Beautiful car. Nice buy as ultimately the car is more comfortable for you. The wheels look amazing. Too bad the vents are fake and wondering how the brakes feel in comparison. Also some tall drivers complain about the headrest being too forward and uncomfortable. Have you experienced this?
      01-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #98
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
Beautiful car. Nice buy as ultimately the car is more comfortable for you. The wheels look amazing. Too bad the vents are fake and wondering how the brakes feel in comparison. Also some tall drivers complain about the headrest being too forward and uncomfortable. Have you experienced this?
I'm not bothered by fake vents honestly as i think it makes the car look cool. Not to mention there are a ton of cars out there with fake vents as at this points its more of a design choice rather than a function choice

As far as the brakes go i felt like the M2C bite harder. But i think thats really where it shows that its really meant for the track. The Supra brakes ease into them for a smoother braking feel which i find makes it a better daily driver.

For the headrest, i'm 6'3" so not short by any means and i have no trouble with the seat. In fact its hands down the most comfortable seat in any car i've ever owned. I think people have a problem because they sit wrong. The car very much wants you to take a more sit back position, sort of inspired by F1 cars. You're supposed to lean back and bring the seat forward. The headrest is designed perfectly to shape the back of your neck in that position, and its what allowed me to drive for 4 hours straight when driving the car home from the dealership.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #99
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

My only beef with the Supra is 2 fold-

1) I cannot and don't want a 2 seat car that is this small as my only vehicle.
2) The looks are just not for me... the M2 looks aggressive but far more adult and more luxurious... the Supra looks work for many just not for me. They are just simply dialed up to an 11 whereas the M2 may be a 7 or 8.

Here is however what I would like to know... which one is more stable, i.e. feels more planted in turns and at high speeds?
Appreciate 1
SebsM2652.00
      01-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #100
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
My only beef with the Supra is 2 fold-

1) I cannot and don't want a 2 seat car that is this small as my only vehicle.
2) The looks are just not for me... the M2 looks aggressive but far more adult and more luxurious... the Supra looks work for many just not for me. They are just simply dialed up to an 11 whereas the M2 may be a 7 or 8.

Here is however what I would like to know... which one is more stable, i.e. feels more planted in turns and at high speeds?
Both are very planted and very stable. However i'd have to give the edge to the Supra. It feels more confidence inspiring. I've taken more aggressive turns in that car at higher speeds than compared to the M2. Same roads as well.

I think part of it is the lower center of gravity as well as the seating position. I'll give a more detailed explanation later on in the year. i have a few track days and autocross days lined up in 2021.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #101
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Both are very planted and very stable. However i'd have to give the edge to the Supra. It feels more confidence inspiring. I've taken more aggressive turns in that car at higher speeds than compared to the M2. Same roads as well.

I think part of it is the lower center of gravity as well as the seating position. I'll give a more detailed explanation later on in the year. i have a few track days and autocross days lined up in 2021.
That's what I was afraid you'd say... I don't know what BMW was thinking when they setup the suspension of the M2... was it meant to be needlessly playful or bouncy? I don't know... but I feel the torque combined with the bouncy suspension doesn't inspire the most confidence... its the only thing I would change about the M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #102
xxyion
Captain
Rep

I think that a lot of that has to do with the adaptive suspension on the SUpra. With the M2, i feel like they were trying to find a good balanced between compliable for the street as well as for the track. For the Supra its as easy as hitting a button.

I will have to admit that i still wish the Supra suspension in Sport was a bit more stiff, but im getting lowering springs for that.

I think part of it is also just how the m2 puts power down. Lets admit that the M2 comes with too skinny tires. The rears are 265. The Supra itself comes with 275 from factory which i'm sure helps a lot with grip and stability. Im putting on 295 rears this weekend and 275 fronts on the Supra and i expect it to feel even more planted.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #103
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I don't know what BMW was thinking when they setup the suspension of the M2... was it meant to be needlessly playful or bouncy?
IMO they sandbagged the M2's suspension to make the M3/4 look better.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #104
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Both are decent performance cars in their own rights. I can respect the rationale for the change to Supra given comfort, etc. Personally I would never even consider the new Supra.

My personal opinion is there's no point buying a BMW engine in a Toyota skin when you can get the whole package in the M2 Competition. In my recent purchase, I specifically wanted to buy a high performance car from a manufacturer with rich Motorsports history and lineage that puts much of that of performance in their production cars.

Plus, the Supra is not a true JDM performance car. It's a compromise from my standpoint with an identity problem. Having said this, no car is perfect in every way of performance, and except maybe some of the P cars and exotics.

As far as getting every ounce of potential in either car, it's all up to driver skill and seat time. I believe this makes the biggest difference in driving enjoyment.
      01-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #105
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I know ppl like comparing the Supra with the M2 but personally I see the Supra as a coupe Z4.

I mean it's basically the same car with a different body work. If BMW would build a Z4 M40i Coupe it would not be compared to a full M product.

The M2 is the M version of the 2 series, the Supra is just a Z series Coupe to my eye. You would need the equivalent of a Z4M Supra so have a direct comparison.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #106
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I know ppl like comparing the Supra with the M2 but personally I see the Supra as a coupe Z4.

I mean it's basically the same car with a different body work. If BMW would build a Z4 M40i Coupe it would not be compared to a full M product.

The M2 is the M version of the 2 series, the Supra is just a Z series Coupe to my eye. You would need the equivalent of a Z4M Supra so have a direct comparison.
And if BMW made the Z4 coupe we'd probably be comparing all three! I sure as heck cross shopped the Supra with my M2C (and still kind of wish I got the Supra). "Full M product" doesn't matter to me.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #107
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Actually you'd be surprised at how different the two cars are (Z4m vs Supra).

While they are on the same chassis that was co-designed, the Z4 has a vastly different suspension setup and engine tune. Thats where the big differences are. Once the chassis and engine were chosen, how the car drives was totally separate between the two companies.

I had a chance to drive the Z4 M not too long ago before i bought the Supra, and it almost made me not want the Supra because of how much i didnt like it. Its VERY floaty and was very obviously designed from more of a luxury/comfort angle compared to even the last gen Z4. I was under the impression that the Supra and Z4 were basically the same car but with a different exterior (kinda like the BRZ and 86) and then i test drove a Supra at my local dealership and it blew me away.

It honestly has a lot more in common with the OG M2 than anything, however i compared it to the M2C because thats what i was stepping out of. Would i have made the switch if i didnt have the medical issue? Not at all. The M2C is a fantastic car. However had i decided that i didnt want a MT at the time of deciding which car to choose initially, i might have gotten a Supra instead.

And then theres cost. I purchased the A91 edition which came in Refraction Blue (but lets all admit its actually Misano Blue) and a similarly specced out Z4 (which doesnt come with Brembos that the Supra does), starts at 70k MSRP. I paid invoice for my Supra, and even if i had gotten the same deal with the Z4, i'm probably still looking at a 15k difference. The M2C is cheaper than the Z4 brand new and thats also why i didnt even bother looking at the Z4 when deciding between these two cars initially.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
Fabb228.50
      01-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #108
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I drove the Z4 M40i. I agree that after driving my M2C it felt mushy with too much body roll. Of course it was an auto but it just wasn't fun compared to my M2C.
The Z4 M40i is not a real "M" car it is an M Performance variation of the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #109
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
And if BMW made the Z4 coupe we'd probably be comparing all three! I sure as heck cross shopped the Supra with my M2C (and still kind of wish I got the Supra). "Full M product" doesn't matter to me.
What makes you wish you got the Supra instead?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:09 PM   #110
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What makes you wish you got the Supra instead?
Here's why I wish I got a Supra instead:
-Looks way sexier (subjective)
-Better wheel/tire options (can fit wider for the track)
-9" shorter wheelbase
-Lighter
-HUD (this bothers me a lot having one in my "pedestrian" F31 but not M2).
-Possibly better suspension (less punishing and M2's is obviously sandbagged IMO).
-Better fuel economy
-Cheaper
-Slimmer key fob
-More interesting colors (I really like refraction blue, and would've ordered that for the M2C if available. I don't like LBB).

With the M2C, I really feel like I just got the drivetrain (engine/trans/diff) and practicality (can haul track wheels). Nothing else about it is really that special and I'm going to change a good bit of it (springs/shocks, most of the control arms, maybe seats because they're stupid and don't support my Schroth quick fit harnesses when my F31 does...). That said, no other current BMW fits what I wanted as much as the M2C.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 01-10-2021 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50