BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Graduated to TT - now what?

10-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Graduated to TT - now what?

So after 18 months of seat time in the M2 on tracks here in CO and developing my driving, I passed my Time Trial check ride a couple weeks ago.

My first TT sessions were a big step up - super quick cars out there, and your situational awareness needs to be 10x better than in your typical HPDE run group.

Thing is... while running TT in my shiny M2 is exhilarating, it also makes me a bit apprehensive when I see cars pushing so hard and going off track regularly. In one session I had a Camaro ZL1 spin in front of me, a Subaru STI blow up next to me, and a different Subaru go flying off the outside of me. It just hit home that the chances of something "going wrong" were much higher than a comparatively more chilled HPDE session.

Has anyone here achieved TT in their road car only to then wish they had a Miata or Boxter track car project they could run in a NASA wheel to wheel class or simply in TT without the worry of dinging up their (in our case) 60k rides? If I had the time, that would be a very enticing thing...

Interested in opinions... !
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      10-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
As most people who track regularly would say, if you cant afford to walk away from your car, don't take it on a track.

TT is not something I have done, or plan to do in my M2. I actually get track insurance every time I go out since I do have a payment on my car. However, that doesn't cover any type of "racing" or "time trials" explicitly.

I'd say, if you're worried about it, its probably time to think about an (inexpensive) dedicated track car that you do not mind rubbing paint in, because its bound to happen sooner or later.
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      10-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Don't worry a 18 M2 is only a 45K car, not 60K. If you can't afford to crumple it up and start over then don't track it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I drive my car to the track for HPDE and TT3/4. I have been very pleased with the competitive nature of TT and the success of the M2...it only looses to a few purpose built track cars. After driving Chump/Champ car races TT seems like a peaceful endeavor! If you are concerned , you can now buy Time Trial insurance from Haggerty for about the same price as DE coverage.
Appreciate 3
bentom2335.50
M2guru383.50
CrashFL137.50