BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > F87 N55 PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo Build Journal | 529wHP / 542wTQ

07-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #177
ConnorFic
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnc View Post
Hello Endeav,
I newly moved to winnipeg, and i am in a bit of a fix with my 2011 BMW X5. wanted to touchbase with you for some quick advice. I joined this forum just now in the hope of finding a solution after almost going around town in vain and being ripped for not knowing.

P.S: Dear Forum members, kindly bear with me if i have used a wrong forum to post/request...
Heads up, I think you need to make like 5 posts on various forums and then you can have private messages. That seems like the best way to reach out to OP. Happily, the x5 is a car we can all agree on I think. Its not the performance cars like we see here on the M2 forum, but its the daily we all love.

Just get a few more posts in and then you can PM for reaching out to the original post (OP) owner.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #178
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorFic View Post
This build is mega and I love the lights! Front and rear look killer!
Appreciate it.

Next mod is a GTS Style hood. Should hopefully have it painted, PPF'd and on the car by the end of the month.

Should complete the look
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #179
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Suvneer GTS hood is done! Received it all the way from California in one piece - painted, PPF'd and ceramic coated. Fitment is absolutely incredible and the price point of this hood is unbeatable.

I also did a little instagram rebranding - my instagram is now strictly for this vehicle and automotive content. Please give it a follow if you like the build for what it is!

Build Instagram: @niru.m2

Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #180
MWelt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey DCT

I am a collision repair shop and I just installed this hood on a customers car. I would have to say excellent fit i& well worth the money for the price break !
One drawback overtime iI can see that the adhesive that holds the outer skin to frame may possibly come unglued as the hood I fit was already loose due to the to lack of adhesive .
Also a lighter hood lift struts are necessary at a cost of about $300.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #181
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Where do Suvneer's hoods come from? Are these from Taiwan?
      08-12-2020, 04:09 AM   #182
MWelt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey DCT

Yes
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #183
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWelt View Post
I am a collision repair shop and I just installed this hood on a customers car. I would have to say excellent fit i& well worth the money for the price break !
One drawback overtime iI can see that the adhesive that holds the outer skin to frame may possibly come unglued as the hood I fit was already loose due to the to lack of adhesive .
Definitely going to scoop some lighter hood struts. Either those off the M3/M4 or M4 GTS.

Quote:
I suspect they are from Taiwan.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:11 AM   #184
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
I suspect they are from Taiwan.
Any quality issues, like easy to get dings, etc?
      08-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #185
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Any quality issues, like easy to get dings, etc?
I had absolutely zero issues with my hood and it was shipped from California all the way to central Canada. I wish I had pictures of how the hood was packaged but it was quite impressive. Double boxed with big foam bump pads slid over all "four" corners of the hood.

The only way that hood would have been damaged in transit is if they literally dropped it off the truck lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #186
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I had absolutely zero issues with my hood and it was shipped from California all the way to central Canada. I wish I had pictures of how the hood was packaged but it was quite impressive. Double boxed with big foam bump pads slid over all "four" corners of the hood.

The only way that hood would have been damaged in transit is if they literally dropped it off the truck lol.
I think what he's asking is if it's easier to get dings from oncoming rocks from traffic in front of you. Aluminum is 3-4x softer than steel. It's probably too soon for you to know though.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #187
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I think what he's asking is if it's easier to get dings from oncoming rocks from traffic in front of you. Aluminum is 3-4x softer than steel. It's probably too soon for you to know though.
Ah, fair enough - you're probably right, I misunderstood.

For what it's worth, my OEM hood endured a stone chip that ripped the PPF and dented the hood. We peeled the PPF away and PDR'd the dent out, paint under neath was actually unscathed.

Best bet... PPF! However, I'm not sure how forgiving aluminum is with PDR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWelt View Post
Do you happen to have a part number for the hood struts you used? Or were they the same PN for the ones on the M4 (51238059044)?

Last edited by Endeav; 08-13-2020 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #188
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Ah, fair enough - you're probably right, I misunderstood.

For what it's worth, my OEM hood endured a stone chip that ripped the PPF and dented the hood. We peeled the PPF away and PDR'd the dent out, paint under neath was actually unscathed.

Best bet... PPF! However, I'm not sure how forgiving aluminum is with PDR...

Do you happen to have a part number for the hood struts you used? Or were they the same PN for the ones on the M4 (51238059044)?
This answers everything for me - I was mainly asking about daily durability but shipping for body pieces is the #1 most important thing too - oftentimes there's very little protection and body panels get damaged.
      10-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #189
akshon
Rep
Drives: RR Ghost, m2c, e46 m3, G63

Light hood struts 51238066092
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #190
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshon View Post
On order! Thanks for the PN.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:18 AM   #191
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Okay, sizeable write up ahead on why I decided to switch from JB4 to full flash on the Bootmod3 platform. SeanWRT I think you'll be very happy to hear about this switch.

Back when I originally turbo swapped the car there was no such thing as an upgraded HPFP for this vehicle, so the only reliable way to get fueling to all 6 cylinders evenly was to run port injection. Being located in Canada where ethanol doesn't exist at the gas pumps, I had to use the next best thing - methanol. Now being that I decided to run actual duty cycle injectors and not traditional methanol nozzles I decided to use the JB4 to control the methanol PI injectors as I could make changes on the fly and in theory "shorten" my tuning period based on datalogs that were easily and readily obtainable on the street via the JB4 app. Don't get me wrong, the JB4 was great as I could monitor all my parameters while driving and could fine tune things on the fly, hell, I could even up the boost to a kill map without having to reflash. It was convenient, no doubt. The problem with the JB4 I found was that as flash tuning grew over the last 2 years, less and less people supported the JB4, no one wanted to make a BEF, or really put in as much effort as they do with a true flash tune because of the fact that the JB4 would be inconsistent not just in different ambient conditions, but even on the same day on back to back pulls. One pull your boost and fueling would be right on target, and the next you might be down 2 PSI, or over boosting on the hit which would throw off your entire pull. It was a great device when flash tuning didn't exist, but I can say I'm glad I decided to switch and won't be looking back.

As I said in an earlier post, a couple weeks ago I started chatting with a few tuners discussing power goals, what it would require me to switch to flash only, and the benefits of flash only vs JB4. Long story short, almost all of them said that I was over complicating my setup now that the XDI-35 (and other HPFPs) are available for the F-Series N55. Port injection is really no longer required and charge pipe methanol is all I would need to max out the PS2 turbo. In short to transition to flash only I would really only need a stand-alone meth system which in this case I chose the AEM 30-3300 because of my previous familiarity with the kit and seeing it used in a lot of high horsepower builds. I've gone from six 550cc injectors in each intake runner to a single CM10 positioned right at the intercooler outlet. I continue to run 100% methanol through the system and it seems to be working quite well.

After reviewing a few tuners portfolios I decided to tune with F80Paul @ Paul Johnson Tunes. He's set a few records on the S55 and I was able to find a couple PS2 N55's he's tuned that made similar horsepower to me and their dyno graphs were a hell of a lot smoother than my JB4 22 PSI map dyno. Another thing which made my choose F80Paul over the rest was his response time. Paul himself reviews all the tunes and makes changes but has a crew of people who tell you when the update has been pushed out. More often that not my e-mail was replied to by Paul himself, but sometimes when he was busy on the dyno / reviewing a lot of logs one of his employees would reply to me stating Paul had pushed an update. I would do my logs every night, and by noon the next day I would have an update - no time wasted. I just finished up my third revision with F80Paul and I suspect this will be the last. I'm currently targeting 21.5 PSI and running 11 degrees of ignition advance up top. This is on Husky 94 Octane + 100% Methanol with a CM10 nozzle. I have had zero codes, zero hiccups, and the car is predictable pull after pull. The car feels insanely fast, faster than when I had a good 22 PSI pull in the JB4, and overall feels like it's in a much better state. Torque comes on smooth, mid range power feels straight savage, and the best part of it all - it feels controllable and manageable in every way.

Here's one of my datalogs from todays revision - ambient temperature was nearly 30 degrees celsius.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec6...2smsJmW5NTQa7s

I will be dyno'ing again once I finish tuning - just waiting for Paul to review the last set of logs to see if we are done. I will also be installing a Turbosmart Plumb Back VR11 diverter valve to replace my DV+ as well as the full metal PureTurbos inlet to replace my V2 inlet over the next couple days.
When you switched to full flash for meth, does the flash tune have any failsafes, etc. like JB4 does?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #192
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
When you switched to full flash for meth, does the flash tune have any failsafes, etc. like JB4 does?
Technically no, just the OEM fail safes which would detect knock, misfires or lean conditions. To be quite honest though, the JB4 isn't exactly reassuring with it's fail safe methods. My meth fail safe box failed on my JB4 and unfortunately everything looked normal and no fail safe was triggered in the JB4 at that point. Definitely not reassuring.

You can wire in the AEM fail safe, you'd just need to find a way for it to trigger a drive train malfunction - I have seen some people do this through grounding out / having the fail safe trigger a waste gate disconnect.
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      12-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #193
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Great build, and nice to see you successfully transitioning tuning platforms with really no issues.

Have you replaced the DV+ with the VR11 yet? Curious on your thoughts on the differences (if any) between the two.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      12-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #194
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Great build, and nice to see you successfully transitioning tuning platforms with really no issues.

Have you replaced the DV+ with the VR11 yet? Curious on your thoughts on the differences (if any) between the two.
Appreciate the kind words.

I did replace the DV+ with the VR11. I personally didn't notice a different myself in any way shape or form in terms of drive-ability or performance, however the VR11 definitely appears to be made quite well.
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      01-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #195
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Quote:
Phoenix Racing manifold came in a lot sooner than originally anticipated and I wasted no time getting it installed.

Overall this is a gorgeous piece to add to the engine bay and makes servicing the port injection much easier than the Fuel-It Kit. The injectors are top mounted as opposed to bottom mounted, and are literally on top of the intake manifold allowing for leaks, etc. to be seen immediately and easily. With the Fuel-It spacer I would have had to remove the intake manifold to fix any leaks on the injector side of things, whereas with the Phoenix Racing setup, I shouldn't ever have to remove the intake manifold again (knock on wood).

I did run into a couple issues with the N55 version of this kit and I'll go through them in detail here. I think BMS is going to fix the hardware issues I ran into, but I might as well mention them should anyone else decide to buy this manifold.

First issue was that there weren't replacement throttle body bolts in the N55 hardware kit. This might be intentional, and if it is then ignore this issue entirely. Otherwise, I don't know if this is M2 specific, but the OEM bolts used to secure the throttle body to the intake manifold are the plastic-chewing coarse thread variety and obviously won't work with a threaded aluminum intake manifold. Not a problem, thread pitch and bolt length were pretty standard and I was able to find some M8 x 50mm bolts at the hardware store.

Second issue was that one of the DME connectors - the one second from the left splits in two directions. The bundle of wires that goes toward the bottom of the engine bay heads into this "junction box" that is attached to one of the HPFP feed lines via a bracket (See picture below). Just to give you a landmark on that photo - you can see the throttle body charge pipe connection in the bottom right. The junction box is located to the right of the HPFP and essentially right below the intake manifold / behind the throttle body. Now the issue was that the bundle that goes to the DME connector from this junction box is slightly too short to reach the new DME position when its mounted to the Phoenix Racing intake manifold. With the new manifold the DME now sits slightly more horizontal, and you need an extra 2 inches on that bundle of wires to get it to clip in without straining the wires. Luckily this was an easy fix. I simply undid the mounting bracket and was able to move that junction box over to accommodate new DME position.

The final issue I ran into might be M2 specific. The M2 uses 5 studs and two bolts to hold the intake manifold to the head. The two OEM bolts are about 10mm too long to actually hold the Phoenix Racing manifold to the head, they bottom out in the threaded hole before the head of the bolt makes contact with the manifold. This is simply because the mounting surface of the Phoenix Racing manifold is thinner than that of the OEM plastic intake manifold. Again, easy fix! I picked up two M7 x 40mm bolts to replace the M7 x 50mm OEM bolts and got the intake manifold installed.

It fits nicely in the engine bay and looks absolutely gorgeous. It also makes servicing the port injection component of the vehicle 10x easier because I no longer have to remove the intake manifold to access the injectors.

Is this worth getting if i don't get the Port injection kit too? I dislike the fact that the OEM piece is plastic. I definitely want to do WMI eventually but Im on the fence for port injection since i wanna upgrade my hpfp.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #196
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '15 M235, '16 X3

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'08 335 (Retired)  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshon View Post
Quote:
On order! Thanks for the PN.
Did you end up installing these struts? How did they work out?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #197
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Updates?
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2023, 01:50 PM   #198
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This car is going up for sale sometime in the upcoming week. Just preparing the ad as well as some photos. This car is located in Central Canada (Manitoba).

If anyone is interested in a turn-key M2 build, feel free to shoot me a DM!
Appreciate 0