BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > My first track day in the M2

01-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #23
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
That’s seems kind of weird for BMW to have pads on a M car that will do that. I thought that the M2 was supposed to be made for the track. You guys are recommending things that I used to hear on the 2 series forum for the M235i.

When I did my HPDE in my M235i ,my instructor said that the MPSS on my car were just ok for the track. I’ve always thought that was funny since all the reviewers and people on forums rav about them.
Oh - and regarding the MPSS tires - they are GREAT tires for the street. I absolutely love them. They are sticky, quiet and relatively long lasting. On track they are another story. On track I love the feel and the stick of the tires, but it is too easy to over drive them. They have relatively soft sidewalls and they tend to roll over during heavy track use. Ask me how I know!
Attached Images

01-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #24
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by look585 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I suggest 36-38* hot in F*. Sorry but you'll need to convert. I also strongly suggest upgrades brake pads. The OEMs are NOT up to the task ?- ask me how I know! I use Pagid RS29s for track days now. Easy on easy off. You'll spend more time jacking up the car and removing the wheels than you will swapping out the pads.
I have yet to do a track day in this car. All my others have had upgraded pads.

Let me ask you this. What if you don't stand on them hard or go deep? How do you think they will hold up?
All I can say is I would not use OEM pads on an M2 for a track day given my personal experience. I don't know how you could "feel" that you are not using too much brake and I'm not sure how you could be certain to manage the heat in the pads while you're on track. Once you've gone too far it's too late. I've been through the torture and all I can say is that knowing what I know I would not do it.
      01-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #25
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Funny thing about the 235i and the M2 - I ran stock pads and rotors on my 235i for over 30 track day events. Yes - I used used plenty of pads during my 40 months of ownership. But- I never ever melted those OEM pads on the 235i. Any yes, I did track the car on some very high speed, brake heavy tracks.

Now when I first tracked my '17 M2, I got horrible rotor deposits that took way too long to get cleared up. Now on my M2 I ALWAYS swap in track pads every single time for track events. I never ever want to go back to what feels like warped rotors.
That’s interesting. I tracked my m235i in the stock pads also. It was my first HPDE of any kind, and I figured since I was such a novice, I just wasn’t pushing the car hard enough as someone with more experience.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
That’s seems kind of weird for BMW to have pads on a M car that will do that. I thought that the M2 was supposed to be made for the track. You guys are recommending things that I used to hear on the 2 series forum for the M235i.

When I did my HPDE in my M235i ,my instructor said that the MPSS on my car were just ok for the track. I’ve always thought that was funny since all the reviewers and people on forums rav about them.
Oh - and regarding the MPSS tires - they are GREAT tires for the street. I absolutely love them. They are sticky, quiet and relatively long lasting. On track they are another story. On track I love the feel and the stick of the tires, but it is too easy to over drive them. They have relatively soft sidewalls and they tend to roll over during heavy track use. Ask me how I know!
Get camber plates. It's not the tires.

As far as the brakes. I've only been screaming it for about 2 years. If you have more than a beginners level talent... if you are driving in a " solo" run group in most US HPDE , please recognize that the M2 is the first bmw in *35 years* to have pads that SUCK SO BAD AT THE TRACK THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY TRACK PADS. It's true. So deal with it.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      01-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #27
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but going square with RS3s with much stiffer sidewalks effectively cured the issue.
      01-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but going square with RS3s with much stiffer sidewalks effectively cured the issue.
Have you run through the full set of RS 3 yet ?

Square helps yes, but the issue is still there it will just take a little longer to show. The RS3 is a better tire all around of course.

The stock stagger causes understeer, just as it's been on every bimmer since the E36.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:14 AM   #29
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Square helps yes, but the issue is still there it will just take a little longer to show. The RS3 is a better tire all around of course.

The stock stagger causes understeer, just as it's been on every bimmer since the E36.
Is that RS 3 Tire good on the street as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #30
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

The break-in diff oil is indeed different from the oil that replaces it forever on. I second all the recommendations here--get break-in service first, and don't use stock pads for more than a casual scouting run, if your track lets you do that (although it makes a bunch more sense just to swap them out from the beginning).

Also, personally, it is hard for me to imagine going to the track and staying south of 5500 rpm for the day. What is the point of that? Sounds frustrating. It surely was frustrating to do that on the street, so on the track it would be pure torture!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #31
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I believe Hankook is on RS4's now. Yes, they are great on street and track. However, like most high performance tires, they dont do so well in the rain.
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #32
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximoosh View Post
Car is currently on 680 miles. Got a 170 mile drive and ill probably take a couple of friends out for some trips before the track so should be there or there abouts by the time its on the track. Run in service booked for monday.
Yes - definitely get the 1200 mile M service done before the track day. You'll want fresh oil in the engine and the rear diff before the track event.
Unfortunately the track day is tomorrow and im booked on. So that being the case..... any advice? Im planning to not run the car too hard anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #33
Dimis
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT

I have been to Bedford a couple of times with the M2 its a long track assuming you are doing the GT layout with 2 pretty long straits which will require heavy braking. The M2 is not the lightest sports car out there so it can be hard on its brakes especially when braking from 120 to 60. That being said Bedford also has plenty of nice S style corners so even if you don't want to push the car hard you can still enjoy the balance and torque. My advise don't floor it on the long straits change short stay at 90 m/h and go easy on the brakes meaning don't brake last minute, do 3-4 laps per outing then 1 full lap cool down etc. At least that's what i did on my first outing in the M2 in Bedford and nothing happened to the brakes they where and still are fine. Of course it all depends on your driving style and going easy on the brakes its way harder than it sounds on a track day as buffed up minis and old e46s m3 will be flying over you. Other than that enjoy the day and wish for some rain , you wont go fast but you will go sideways which is way more fun in my book just don't over do it as stewards get annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #34
GHarris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Unfortunately the track day is tomorrow and im booked on. So that being the case..... any advice? Im planning to not run the car too hard anyway.
Go to the track, stick to your plan and have Fun! I have done what you are describing with my stock M2 with no issues.
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #35
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
you wont go fast but you will go sideways which is way more fun in my book just don't over do it as stewards get annoyed.
Working the diff that much before break in service... really ?
Why but why a track day before break in service, it's like walking on the head... sorry.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #36
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
I appreciate the sentiment, I will be running up to 5.5k rpm (plenty fast compared to the other stuff that goes on track days this time of year), ill just get out of the way of the other stuff... im not an advanced track day guy, have done a few in my cayman and also in my mini cooper s before that so not overly experienced. Just going more for exploration to see what needs doing. Are the M performance pads any good? Dont really want much squeal.
Unfortunately, I don;t think its possible to have a single pad with strong street and tracks qualities. The street pads are made to work cold, not squeal, and take enough heat for emergency highway breaking without failing. The coefficient of friction is lower than track pads and they are not designed to operate continuously at high temperatures. If you do, they will eventually crumble, they will certainly wear faster, and potentially they'll leave deposits on the rotors. Some street pads are also designed to be relatively dustless. (Not the BMWs, err.)

Track pads are designed with higher coefficients of friction and designed to operate continuously at high temperature ranges - ranges generated by repeated threshold breaking from high speeds. In fact, they don't work very well at low temperatures. They can be a bit unsafe on the street especially just getting going on a cool/cold day. They also squeak like shit.

How high the engine revs won't make much difference w/the pads. Its how fast the car goes down the straight, how late you break, and what speed you break to. Shifting at 5500 might make your terminal speed 130 mph rather than 140. However, if there a several long high speed straights on the track where you take off a lot of speed before the turn, then the temperatures are going to get petty high. It's only of you break way early and/or have short sessions that might keep the temps down.

In beginner groups, folks typically are not consistently threshold breaking and it makes sense to use OEM pads with a fluid upgrade to start understanding the dynamics of the car. The same reason to use street tires. But once your braking technique improves, it's time for the track pads. Weight also makes a difference in how much heat will be generated and the M2 is not light.

There are intermediate pads out there, but I think they're more like aggressive street pads than track pads once you're running in the intermediate group+ on fast tracks.

Anyway, I wish I was at the track, too. Let is know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #37
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Just show with the expectation of having fun with stock pressures and all fluids (engine and diff) recently changed. Check tire temps after your sessions to keep the pressures under 40 psi all-around.

You will be fine on stock pads unless you are completely riding on the brakes or over-braking - your instructor should keep you in check. Do not get caught up in all kinds of feedback at this point, but keep the points in mind, you will learn as you go. Just go have fun and learn!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #38
Maximoosh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
Quote:
Go to the track, stick to your plan and have Fun! I have done what you are describing with my stock M2 with no issues.
Thanks. This is what im planning.... Car has 860 miles on it now so should be ready! Going to keep it below 5k and booked some tuition. So hopefully will be all good. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #39
GHarris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. This is what im planning.... Car has 860 miles on it now so should be ready! Going to keep it below 5k and booked some tuition. So hopefully will be all good. Thanks again.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #40
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No.
      01-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #41
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As far as the brakes. I've only been screaming it for about 2 years. If you have more than a beginners level talent... if you are driving in a " solo" run group in most US HPDE , please recognize that the M2 is the first bmw in *35 years* to have pads that SUCK SO BAD AT THE TRACK THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY TRACK PADS. It's true. So deal with it.
I concur!
      01-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #42
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No.
Good to know thx
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #43
Maximoosh
Private
Rep

So here's how it went.... car was fantastic, weather was not.... rain sleet and snow. Lots of slidey fun but easy to stay within the run in limits! Basically first run I went out with an instructor to get an idea of what the car could do. He assured me that they run BMW M4s from 200 miles full time on the track in the "M4 master experience" (basically a track experience run at most tracks in the UK) and then they get sold through the "approved used" programme so if you are after a used M4.... just dont get a white one, theyre all white! Second run was really wet. Lots of standing water. third run was pretty fun but was starting to get really dangerous. An e92 m3 which was being drifted ran out of talent and into the mud needing to be dragged out. Decided it was a good time to end the track time! Just left the car in sport and used the paddles throughout, it was too wet for anything else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910910.50
AESZ4112.00
      01-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #44
GHarris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So here's how it went.... car was fantastic, weather was not.... rain sleet and snow. Lots of slidey fun but easy to stay within the run in limits! Basically first run I went out with an instructor to get an idea of what the car could do. He assured me that they run BMW M4s from 200 miles full time on the track in the "M4 master experience" (basically a track experience run at most tracks in the UK) and then they get sold through the "approved used" programme so if you are after a used M4.... just dont get a white one, theyre all white! Second run was really wet. Lots of standing water. third run was pretty fun but was starting to get really dangerous. An e92 m3 which was being drifted ran out of talent and into the mud needing to be dragged out. Decided it was a good time to end the track time! Just left the car in sport and used the paddles throughout, it was too wet for anything else.
Quote:
Good for you, congrats, glad you had some fun
Appreciate 2