BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > First time on track with M2

04-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #23
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
Some pics.

I spit all the front wheel weights off due to heat, as usual. However, something different happened. There is little clearance with the 18" wheels. One of the weights got stuck on the caliper and carved a nice little line in the finish of the barrel. Oops.

The other shows where I marked the rear wheels and tires. You can see how much the tire spun on the wheel.
Happened to me last weekend. TR said they'd reimburse rebalancing up to $25 per wheel. Going to have my local race shop do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #24
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Hey Wangspeed,

Just wanted to let you know you inspired me with that 1:26.04 on Summit Main. I was out there this weekend for the PCA event for my 5th track day and was moved to intermediate solo. I completed a 1:26.6 lap on my stock MPSS's and my average laps were 1:27s.

I've definitely smoked the outside of my front left tire and am getting temps in my fronts over 210F 3/4 into the session, whilst keeping hot pressures 36-38F. So, seems like I need more tire up front and I need to use my throttle a bit more to steer the car. Euro MDM definitely helped me with that this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #25
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hey Wangspeed,

Just wanted to let you know you inspired me with that 1:26.04 on Summit Main. I was out there this weekend for the PCA event for my 5th track day and was moved to intermediate solo. I completed a 1:26.6 lap on my stock MPSS's and my average laps were 1:27s.

I've definitely smoked the outside of my front left tire and am getting temps in my fronts over 210F 3/4 into the session, whilst keeping hot pressures 36-38F. So, seems like I need more tire up front and I need to use my throttle a bit more to steer the car. Euro MDM definitely helped me with that this weekend.
That's awesome! I've been doing this for almost 20 years. I was definitely not going this fast 5 days in!

Yeah I figured the front outside would be smoked at pace, so I wanted extra camber and dedicated tires before I went out. One thing led to another and somehow Ohlins wound up on my car a little extra spring rate in the back helps keep the inside front on the ground too, which should help the outside a little. Maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:08 AM   #26
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Hah! All along I've been telling myself I'm just going to keep the car stock and run it, but now all these little upgrade ideas are starting to pop into my head. The beginning of an addiction.

I'm headed back out there this weekend for the BMW NCC event. I debated if I should go ahead and get a track wheel/tire setup, but I think I'll just burn these MPSS's all the way up and then get new road and dedicated track tires.

Also, I did land in the gravel at turn 1 (I was getting sporadic braking for the first couple sessions, guessing it was the PFC's trying to remove all the RS29 material from the discs), and bead blasted my 19" OEM rear wheels by trying to get out of the gravel.

So, I could turn those into track wheels, but I'm guessing you still recommend the 18s over the 19s?

Last edited by ZM2; 05-09-2017 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #27
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Hah! All along I've been telling myself I'm just going to keep the car stock and run it, but now all these little upgrade ideas are starting to pop into my head. The beginning of an addiction.

I'm headed back out there this weekend for the BMW NCC event. I debated if I should go ahead and get a track wheel/tire setup, but I think I'll just burn these MPSS's all the way up and then get new road and dedicated track tires.

Also, I did land in the gravel at turn 1 (I was getting sporadic braking for the first couple sessions, guessing it was the PFC's trying to remove all the RS29 material from the discs), and bead blasted my 19" OEM rear wheels by trying to get out of the gravel.

So, I could turn those into track wheels, but I'm guessing you still recommend the 18s over the 19s?
I have about 15 track days on my car...have tested stock wheels and different tires then Tire Rack 18s with several 265/275 square options. The TR wheels are a great/cheap option for track. The RE71r tires in 265 square are perfect...won't need spacers ( I still used a 10mm), can drive to the track, work in wet and dry, plus good pricing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #28
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Quote:

I have about 15 track days on my car...have tested stock wheels and different tires then Tire Rack 18s with several 265/275 square options. The TR wheels are a great/cheap option for track. The RE71r tires in 265 square are perfect...won't need spacers ( I still used a 10mm), can drive to the track, work in wet and dry, plus good pricing.
Yeah. I agree. I don't need it to be the fastest, just reasonably fast and more importantly, durable. I don't get the folks running Hoosiers for HPDEs.

The TR setup with the RE71r is great. The only one I would consider instead is the Apex 18x10, but I was unsure of fit at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #29
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Got it, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #30
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Did you guys debate keeping sensors on the track wheels so that you can watch your temps and pressures in iDrive on the track?

I have a pyrometer and all that, but it's been really convenient to just use the idrive read out while I'm learning and am not consistent enough yet to need to dial in a 0.5 psi to notice a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #31
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I'll just go ahead and answer my own question to say that I'm talking to Keith at TR for this setup, including TPMS sensors.

I guess I can just rotate front to rear bn track weekends to balance the front outer wear since I don't have camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Twt, does the 275 RE-71R fit on a stock car setup with the TR wheels?

Thanks.

Update: Keith says not without a 3mm min spacer. I don't really want to deal with spacers, so 265 it is. Placing my order now!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #33
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'll just go ahead and answer my own question to say that I'm talking to Keith at TR for this setup, including TPMS sensors.

I guess I can just rotate front to rear bn track weekends to balance the front outer wear since I don't have camber plates.
I hate dealing with the TPMS system. When it's cold, it is quite easy to fall under 27psi, which triggers endless warnings and the inability to get out of comfort mode. I was going to target pressures near 35/36. It's not abnormal to see a 10psi bump when it is cold outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #34
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I hear ya. I always have to reset the TPMS at the beginning of the day, but it's usually good after that.

35/36 seems right to me too. Even 37/38 seems like the tires were not hooking up as good.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #35
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Twt, does the 275 RE-71R fit on a stock car setup with the TR wheels?

Thanks.

Update: Keith says not without a 3mm min spacer. I don't really want to deal with spacers, so 265 it is. Placing my order now!
I ran my stock wheels with sensors but none on my 18 track wheels....TPMS is a PITA....don't bother using them on track wheels. The added cost will just trigger the warning and cause you to pull over and reset on your out laps!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #36
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I ran my stock wheels with sensors but none on my 18 track wheels....TPMS is a PITA....don't bother using them on track wheels. The added cost will just trigger the warning and cause you to pull over and reset on your out laps!
There seems to be some pretty significant build date dependencies on how this works. According to TR, on the MY 17s, if there is no TPMS present, the car locks down in comfort mode...

Would love to hear that's not true, but please share your build date/model year if you have data.

Mine's a MY17 September 16 build, and I don't have data yet,but am about to buy, so would like to know one way or the other.

Any MY17 non TPMS users?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #37
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn View Post
There seems to be some pretty significant build date dependencies on how this works. According to TR, on the MY 17s, if there is no TPMS present, the car locks down in comfort mode...

Would love to hear that's not true, but please share your build date/model year if you have data.

Mine's a MY17 September 16 build, and I don't have data yet,but am about to buy, so would like to know one way or the other.

Any MY17 non TPMS users?
Mine is a 2017 (forgot my build date and the car is at the shop), but it will search for the sensor then give up after a while.....I can run in any mode without them!
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      05-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #38
swebster
Enlisted Member
Rep

The TMPS thing is super annoying. It drives me crazy. I feel like I have to keep resetting and dealing with it every time I am in the car. Between the Go Pro, timing and this sometimes it feels like I am starting up a plane before each session.

Wang what pressures do you like hot on the RE-71R? I was running 32 psi hot at laguna.

You also might want to step up spring rate. I had a fairly similar set up with my MCS and just went up 150 lbs b/c the car was falling over on itself in compression
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #39
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster View Post
The TMPS thing is super annoying. It drives me crazy. I feel like I have to keep resetting and dealing with it every time I am in the car. Between the Go Pro, timing and this sometimes it feels like I am starting up a plane before each session.

Wang what pressures do you like hot on the RE-71R? I was running 32 psi hot at laguna.

You also might want to step up spring rate. I had a fairly similar set up with my MCS and just went up 150 lbs b/c the car was falling over on itself in compression
35 hot on RE71r.

I realize the spring rate is a compromise. It's good enough for the occasional track event, and not stiff enough to cause my wife and kid to complain too much. Laguna has severe compression sections. My normal tracks don't compress the suspension like that. These days I generally just go to Summit or VIR.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #40
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

What's the problem with tpms? I just turn off traction control and ignore the tpms warnings. When traction control is all the way off thereby are no driving mods you can choose from anyway right?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #41
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:

What's the problem with tpms? I just turn off traction control and ignore the tpms warnings. When traction control is all the way off thereby are no driving mods you can choose from anyway right?
Do you have a 17? I do. It forces the car into comfort mode if it falls under 27 psi. Super annoying! Resetting doesn't fix it unless the current pressure is over. I tried futzing with it many times on the way back from the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #42
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Is there any way to make the car not see the sensors, if they're already installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #43
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
Do you have a 17? I do. It forces the car into comfort mode if it falls under 27 psi. Super annoying! Resetting doesn't fix it unless the current pressure is over. I tried futzing with it many times on the way back from the track.
Yes I have a 17, I don't run sensors. I don't care what mode it forces me into because I turn traction control all the way off and I don't think there are any mods once you turn traction control all the way off.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #44
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Will the car allow you to go TC off if you have TPMS sensors and you start with 25psi?

Update: it will not! Starting at 26psi with a TPMS reset on the grid was about the best low pressure I could do.

Also, I just went TC off for the first time. Unbelievable how balanced the car is! It actually felt smoother and safer to me than with Euro MDM on. When the MDM would kick in, it would unbalance the car. Not so with TC off.

Also, my hot tire temps were lower with TC off even with faster laps. Apparently the brakes aren't kicking in nearly as much and heating up the wheels/tires.

Last edited by ZM2; 05-14-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0