BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Impressive M2 track performance

08-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #45
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI135i View Post
No issues whatsoever. 265/35/18 Re71r should be fine as long as your offset is near the +33 range. The Apex 18x9.5 wheel is offered in a +35, so coupled with the 265/35/18 Re71r, that should work just fine with a stock set up. Apex is a good wheel, have run many sets of them other cars. I think Apex plays it a little safe and recommends a 255/35/18 on the 18x9.5 +35 for the M2 to make sure every brand and compound of tire will fit.

The Re71r's are only directional and can be removed from the rim and flipped so the worn outer edge is moved to the inside. Re71r's do not designate an "outside" facing sidewall because of the symmetrical tread and compound pattern. You have to flip at least two tires at a time so they can be moved to the other side of the car to remain directional. If one has been rotating on a normal schedule, flipping all four tires on the rims is the way to go, as they will all need it. This is the way I do it.

(And then there is the case that many of us racers know when trying to maximize track tire life and the above mentioned cannot be achieved. Running a tire non-directionally does not blow up the car. It usually just decreases wet performance because the tread pattern is reversed and can't evacuate water as well.)

Good luck!
Thank you, great information. I think your experience is the the most informative for what I have been looking for on this forum. Stock wheel and tire set-up.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #46
DaWatsta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Thanks for that. I’ll grab a setfor the E92. Hope your mate is ok. 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #47
M2 Slow
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
No issues whatsoever. 265/35/18 Re71r should be fine as long as your offset is near the +33 range. The Apex 18x9.5 wheel is offered in a +35, so coupled with the 265/35/18 Re71r, that should work just fine with a stock set up. Apex is a good wheel, have run many sets of them other cars. I think Apex plays it a little safe and recommends a 255/35/18 on the 18x9.5 +35 for the M2 to make sure every brand and compound of tire will fit.

The Re71r's are only directional and can be removed from the rim and flipped so the worn outer edge is moved to the inside. Re71r's do not designate an "outside" facing sidewall because of the symmetrical tread and compound pattern. You have to flip at least two tires at a time so they can be moved to the other side of the car to remain directional. If one has been rotating on a normal schedule, flipping all four tires on the rims is the way to go, as they will all need it. This is the way I do it.

(And then there is the case that many of us racers know when trying to maximize track tire life and the above mentioned cannot be achieved. Running a tire non-directionally does not blow up the car. It usually just decreases wet performance because the tread pattern is reversed and can't evacuate water as well.)

Good luck!
have you tried mounting size 40 (265/40/18) sidewall tires on that square set-up? or is there no benefit to it?
      10-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #48
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermagnet View Post
Quote:

Good luck!
have you tried mounting size 40 (265/40/18) sidewall tires on that square set-up? or is there no benefit to it?
It will work in the rear, but I'm pretty sure you will rub up front.
Appreciate 0