BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What did you do to your M2 today?

01-18-2021, 04:41 AM   #7063
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Haha I knew I'd get some of you 1M guys going with my comment! I am so curious about how they drive compared to my m2. I was a bit too young to experience them.

Can a 911 really carry a 1 year old though? I know they have back seats but even looking at some 911s it seems it's only good for maybe a basketball
I won't go too into it as this topic was beaten to death and mostly skewed by what people owned.
The 1M is simpler and the steering is more responsive. As you'd expect the M2 suspension is better in stock form and notably brakes. In 30k miles I had the brakes done a few times on a 1M because they just didn't handle heat at high speed tracks too well. In one day I warped at Monticello where there are some high speed turns so doing 140mph then hard braking to make a hairpin turn. The M2 brakes are better in longevity and M2C are even better, initial bite on all of them is great and more than adequate for the street. The M2 N55 motor, while it doesn't have the same tuning abilities as the N54, in stock form the N55 is setup better and sounds better. More specifically the N55 M2 variant had more R&D into it, upgrades and etc along with cooling improvements compared to the 135is/335is/Z435is N54 being dropped in the 1M. In terms of longevity if you actually drive an N54 maintenance over the years is significantly more than an N55.

Raw driving experience for weekend cruises, I'll take a 1M with no options every time because you feel more connected and I think the 1M looks better. For normal driving and actual track, I'd take an M2. I'm sure people will disagree with me which is fine. That is just what I feel from my experience and what I want in a car. Both cars are great and I don't feel one is flat out better than the other and I also see why people own both at the same time.

Edit: and yes you can fit a kid in a 911, it is just the rear facing bit that sucks so before about the age of 2 it would be wildly difficult and no one would be able to sit in the passenger seat. Plus at that age when they can't walk all the time you need to realize you cannot fit a stroller in a 911 so wherever you take them, be prepared to carry them. I quickly learned as a parent that it is not about what someone claims a car can do, it is about how it works in practice. The little things make the biggest difference to me. Hell when I was shopping for the M2 I literally brought my big stroller with me and asked to see how it fit in the trunk because if I can't put a stroller in that was a big negative. But the M2 fits a stroller, big diaper bag AND you can make a light Costco trip. Once kids are a few years old and you don't have to physically put them in a car, things like a 911 become much more usable.

Last edited by carchrism5; 01-18-2021 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
SebsM2649.00
      01-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #7064
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Installed the CS style front lip.

01-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #7065
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogo View Post

Very nice! Mine is sitting pretty waiting for me to buy hardware and better weather to come.

How much tape did you use and what fastening hardware?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #7066
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Quote:

Very nice! Mine is sitting pretty waiting for me to buy hardware and better weather to come.

How much tape did you use and what fastening hardware?
It came with double sided tape and self tapping screws. I used the tape all the way across and I skipped a hole for the screws going a cross. I made sure that the sides and center was securely fastened and not sagging. It was a headache to remove the oem corner wings.. they use some very strong glue.
      01-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #7067
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It came with double sided tape and self tapping screws. I used the tape all the way across and I skipped a hole for the screws going a cross. I made sure that the sides and center was securely fastened and not sagging. It was a headache to remove the oem corner wings.. they use some very strong glue.
gotcha must have been a different brand than mine if yours came with hardware and tape pre-applied
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #7068
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Quote:
gotcha must have been a different brand than mine if yours came with hardware and tape pre-applied
Oh yeah I got mine from this seller on eBay
      01-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #7069
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah I got mine from this seller on eBay
awesome just found it on ebay...for half the price i paid haha. Oh well. Thanks for the insight on using tape all the way across tho. I'll do the same one solid piece at the front and rear
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:52 PM   #7070
LFaist
Private
United_States
Rep

Looked at my odometer today and realized only put 900 miles on it since covid started. Dang! My wife and daughters remind me about my "fancy" car that does not leave the garage much. It's becoming a garage queen lately.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #7071
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFaist View Post
Looked at my odometer today and realized only put 900 miles on it since covid started. Dang! My wife and daughters remind me about my "fancy" car that does not leave the garage much. It's becoming a garage queen lately.
Wow! I drive my car almost daily and I work from home. I have to take it out for a spin when I can.. it's too fun. Also, I'm the type of person who likes using the things I buy.
      01-19-2021, 12:00 AM   #7072
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
Quote:
It'll be hard to let this one go.. I got a cracking deal for mine and I'm sure I'd always miss my first sports car! I guess it's similar to all those poor souls who sold off their 1Ms lol
I take offense to this, haha. I had and sold two 1M's and sure I miss them at times, but I don't regret selling, everything considered. Hell I may end up buying another one at some point. I intend on keeping my M2 for quite a while and the only thing on my radar would be adding a 911. With a 1yr old daughter Caymans are off the table because a car that can't carry my daughter isn't really worth anything to me.
I too am between M2 and Porsche 911

It's only a matter of time...

And I love my M2

01-19-2021, 01:24 AM   #7073
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Ordered one of these.
Attached Images

WOT Bimmer1223.50
///M TOWN15930.50
      01-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #7074
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Today, I made the decision to reallocate my savings for n55 pure stage 2 turbo and pay off my little sisters remaining college debt from her last semester. After running across another forum member who is donating his M2C after his new g80 comes, I realized that us car people sometimes get caught up in our cars and don't give back enough. As a young adult, I couldn't imagine a better Christmas gift than someone paying my bills/debt.

Happy holidays, everyone!
Got my pure stage 2 turbo coming. Waiting a month or so allowed me to get a killer deal!

Just goes to show, energy in = energy out
      01-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #7075
seanyx11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Mineral Gray

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Took my M2 to check out my next car goal.
Although I don't think I'll ever get rid of my M2, I think it's super important to always work toward something greater.No doubt, it will be a Porsche. Maybe a GT4 in 4-5 years.
Porsche is definitely my next car, but I'm probably easily 3+ years away

In the mean time I will enjoy the hell out of my M2
It'll be hard to let this one go.. I got a cracking deal for mine and I'm sure I'd always miss my first sports car! I guess it's similar to all those poor souls who sold off their 1Ms lol
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Although I don't think I'll ever get rid of my M2, I think it's super important to always work toward something greater.No doubt, it will be a Porsche. Maybe a GT4 in 4-5 years.
Hmm. I might be strange, but I never had the urge to get a Porsche. My M2 is a long term keeper.
A lot of the bimmer guys get into a Porsche after a few Ms. By the time I'm ready for a new car, the g87 should be out and I'll have to consider that as well. I'm sure it would be easier in the pockets... I just hope it isn't much bigger than the f87
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I said the same thing several months ago. I didn't want to get rid of my beloved M2. I put so much time and money into it. So, I kept it and bought a 997.2 911 Carrera 4S in mint condition. I loved the car, but it just didn't have enough torque that I was so used to from my M2. So, I spent money trying to make it something it wasn't until finally I cut my losses and traded in the 911 & M2 for a 2015 911 Turbo S.

Sometimes I miss my M2, but I absolutely love the turbo s, no comparison really. My only regret is that I should've just traded the M2 from the beginning instead of trying to keep it for nostalgia. Point is, if you really want something else in particular and cant afford exactly that while keeping your M2, think about it long and hard before you pick up a "lesser" car instead. I regretted that move in the end. Off my soapbox
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN15930.50
      01-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #7076
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Today, I made the decision to reallocate my savings for n55 pure stage 2 turbo and pay off my little sisters remaining college debt from her last semester. After running across another forum member who is donating his M2C after his new g80 comes, I realized that us car people sometimes get caught up in our cars and don't give back enough. As a young adult, I couldn't imagine a better Christmas gift than someone paying my bills/debt.

Happy holidays, everyone!
Got my pure stage 2 turbo coming. Waiting a month or so allowed me to get a killer deal!

Just goes to show, energy in = energy out
Now that's what I like to hear ‼️

...🐌
      01-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #7077
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Hmm. I might be strange, but I never had the urge to get a Porsche. My M2 is a long term keeper.
A lot of the bimmer guys get into a Porsche after a few Ms. By the time I'm ready for a new car, the g87 should be out and I'll have to consider that as well. I'm sure it would be easier in the pockets... I just hope it isn't much bigger than the f87
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I said the same thing several months ago. I didn't want to get rid of my beloved M2. I put so much time and money into it. So, I kept it and bought a 997.2 911 Carrera 4S in mint condition. I loved the car, but it just didn't have enough torque that I was so used to from my M2. So, I spent money trying to make it something it wasn't until finally I cut my losses and traded in the 911 & M2 for a 2015 911 Turbo S.

Sometimes I miss my M2, but I absolutely love the turbo s, no comparison really. My only regret is that I should've just traded the M2 from the beginning instead of trying to keep it for nostalgia. Point is, if you really want something else in particular and cant afford exactly that while keeping your M2, think about it long and hard before you pick up a "lesser" car instead. I regretted that move in the end. Off my soapbox
Totally agree... next car will have to fill the shoes of my m2 and more!

I remember initially looking at a 718 cayman before my m2 and thinking how great it looked but the sound and power just wasn't there. The m2 made more sense for me. I knew from that point that when I get a Porsche it'll have to be a gt or a turbo of some sort.

Enjoy your new car!
      01-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #7078
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Finally got my car aligned after putting on the Mperformance coils. Surprisingly, the alignment was already very close to correct despite moving from stock to MP suspension. Rear toe on one side was out a little, but that was about it.

Haven't pushed it in anger yet, but I did some runs in the canyons by my house just prior to the alignment so I'll see if there are any noticeable differences.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #7079
artbrunson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87

Quote:
Totally agree... next car will have to fill the shoes of my m2 and more!

I remember initially looking at a 718 cayman before my m2 and thinking how great it looked but the sound and power just wasn't there. The m2 made more sense for me. I knew from that point that when I get a Porsche it'll have to be a gt or a turbo of some sort.

Enjoy your new car!
Prior 981 Cayman owner here. They are fantastic cars, no bullshit- amazing cars. However- they are far more expensive to run daily. Every 10K the oil change is $250. Every 20K the service is $750 to $1500. It's like owning a Rolex, there's no negotiating what services you want. The 40K was $2000 and included more stuff. Everything is difficult to work on and Porsche labor was $185 an hour I believe at the time. Once it goes 4 years or 50K, then things really amp up. Everything will cost a fortune. A rock hit the ac radiator (they are on the left and right inlets practically on the ground) and that was 2k. A rubber gasket seal failed on the radiator itself, and normally would be a fast easy fix- but that was $1100 after 5 hours of labor was added. You can daily drive an M2, you can't really do that with a Cayman. Now a 911 maint costs are similiar, and if I had to do it over again I would have bought a used 911 for the same 70K I spent on my 981 Cayman. Then I could justify a garage queen and it's costs. The M2 so far in 3 years has only cost me tires, and there are a ton of independant BMW shops in the Dallas area to keep costs down as it grows older.
Appreciate 1
SebsM2649.00
      01-22-2021, 06:35 PM   #7080
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Good point, I swapped turbo's on my N54 two times myself so anything on N55 doesn't scare me much, S55 or S58 will just be little bit more complex but nothing too crazy.

Porsche mid and rear engine.. hem not sure it's major stuff is as doable as BMW. I am interested In owning Porsche products but it's probably a bigger gamble without warranty.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #7081
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Good point, I swapped turbo's on my N54 two times myself so anything on N55 doesn't scare me much, S55 or S58 will just be little bit more complex but nothing too crazy.

Porsche mid and rear engine.. hem not sure it's major stuff is as doable as BMW. I am interested In owning Porsche products but it's probably a bigger gamble without warranty.
I was just about to reply to the original comment about being confident in doing my own turbo swap shortly. This car Is stupid easy to work on. No way I'd tackle a similar job like that on a Porsche.
      01-22-2021, 11:35 PM   #7082
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Took some nice photos today
Also, I flashed the m2 cs trans, steering, differential tune. I'll be doing a full write up shortly.
Attached Images

eldogo274.00
FIDDIE12.00
MONSTAR516.00
dtmurf480.00
      01-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #7083
H20neun
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

today I finished installing the KW HAS kit, though to press on the new feather-plate on the front dampers but with 2 people and enough grease it's possible without a mechanical press

in the front I still have about 1cm of thread left, in the back 1,5cm

front is 1,8cm lower than before, back 0,2mm higher.. need to lower the back, front sits perfect
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///M TOWN15930.50
eldogo274.00
      01-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #7084
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Flashed the new BM3 v5.9 stage1 ACN 91 octane map with no burbles on the car and took it for a spin in the rain to make sure the car was still functional. Too wet to really test it. Previous version was 5.7 or earlier I forget. Burbles were definitely gone. I can't seem to get a straight answer if burbles are functional on this car at all or are just noise fluff?

Hit a balloon on the highway. There was tons of debris blowing everywhere.

Last edited by akkando; 01-25-2021 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
JMon3y26.00
///M TOWN15930.50