BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M3 CSL vs M2 Competition: almost identical genetic code (Autocar review)

03-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #67
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5L View Post
I hope to answer this as my M2c comes home tomorrow to join my CSL. Both fantastic cars.

SMG II in the CSL is using different software, if i remember correctly it is the fastest shifting SMG gearbox BMW have, quicker than the V10s SMG gearbox.

Its a different in use and feel to an auto and Dual Clutch.

All i will say Lamborghini still uses a robotized Manual box in their Aventador !
Wow, very nice collection. Post a review of the transmissions for fun, you'll have one of the best perspectives of anyone owning those cars.

I'm jealous!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #68
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
I also found out my SMG differential needs a $700 fluid change. Ouch.
... what?
-As far as I know, there is no such thing as an "SMG differential"
-SMG fluid swaps aren't necessary (assuming you mean the hydraulic fluid), and if you do it anyway the fluid is ~$30
-SMG trans fluid is the same as the 6mt trans fluid, and is ~$40 for a flush for the fluid
-the labor for neither should be less than an hour

... what are you talking about, exactly?

If you meant to say "CSL differential", you're also getting ripped off. BMW specced two fluids for the M3/CSL:
1) $84: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...33117525064kt6
2) $172: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-33117525064kt

(1) will limit slip morebut make noise on tight turns. (2) will limit slip less but be 100% silent.

Both of the links above include a lifetime warranty-- so you can return the fluid when you're done and get new fluid for free (and never pay for it again).

In either of those cases, the shop is charging your $500-600 for ~10 minutes of work (at $700 for a diff fluid swap). HUGE rip off.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #69
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
I also found out my SMG differential needs a $700 fluid change. Ouch.
... what?
-As far as I know, there is no such thing as an "SMG differential"
-SMG fluid swaps aren't necessary (assuming you mean the hydraulic fluid), and if you do it anyway the fluid is ~$30
-SMG trans fluid is the same as the 6mt trans fluid, and is ~$40 for a flush for the fluid
-the labor for neither should be less than an hour

... what are you talking about, exactly?

If you meant to say "CSL differential", you're also getting ripped off. BMW specced two fluids for the M3/CSL:
1) $84: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...33117525064kt6
2) $172: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-33117525064kt

(1) will limit slip morebut make noise on tight turns. (2) will limit slip less but be 100% silent.

Both of the links above include a lifetime warranty-- so you can return the fluid when you're done and get new fluid for free (and never pay for it again).

In either of those cases, the shop is charging your $500-600 for ~10 minutes of work (at $700 for a diff fluid swap). HUGE rip off.
Thanks, I was confused when the tech told me the 'SMG differential' needed a fluid swap. I believe he is referring to the LSD but perhaps trying to make it sound harder than it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #70
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
The only downside to the M2 Competition is the connected twin kidney grille. I've come to appreciate the connected grille on every new BMW model except for the M2 Comp, which is such a shame because it's the complete driving enthusiast package otherwise and my favorite BMW right now. The shape they chose to outline the kidneys is awful compared to the other new designs like on the G20, F90, G05, etc. The M2's looks like a silly mustache by comparison, and the fact that there is less real estate on the front to begin with makes it appear that much more gaudy and out of place.

Please BMW, I'm okay with the connected design if that's where things are going, but for the love of God, just revise the outline's shape on the next M2 variant so it doesn't look so goofy and out of place. Then again, if there was one car that didn't need the connected grille to begin with, it would have been the M2 Competition. It's not even a new generation car, and IMHO didn't warrant any grille changes from the OG F87 M2. They just made it look stupid for nothing. Okay, rant over.
I quite like the new kidney grill, with the added benefit that my 2020MY won't look as dated as the OG M2 when the new generation comes out. The disconnected grill is a thing of the past, and already looks dated. I'm happy BMW made this change, otherwise I probably would've gone for a 718 Cayman or waited for the next gen.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie93.00
      03-19-2019, 04:55 AM   #71
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Are people forgetting about the whole slew of carbon fiber M Performance parts BMW released for the M2? There's your spiritual CSL successor right there, but without the crap SMG transmission.

The only downside to the M2 Competition is the connected twin kidney grille. I've come to appreciate the connected grille on every new BMW model except for the M2 Comp, which is such a shame because it's the complete driving enthusiast package otherwise and my favorite BMW right now. The shape they chose to outline the kidneys is awful compared to the other new designs like on the G20, F90, G05, etc. The M2's looks like a silly mustache by comparison, and the fact that there is less real estate on the front to begin with makes it appear that much more gaudy and out of place.

Please BMW, I'm okay with the connected design if that's where things are going, but for the love of God, just revise the outline's shape on the next M2 variant so it doesn't look so goofy and out of place. Then again, if there was one car that didn't need the connected grille to begin with, it would have been the M2 Competition. It's not even a new generation car, and IMHO didn't warrant any grille changes from the OG F87 M2. They just made it look stupid for nothing. Okay, rant over.
The new grille looks way better in person. I have seen both OG and Comp parked next to each other, too. I own neither FWIW, but it's one of the reasons I'd consider buying a Comp instead of a used OG.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #72
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Are people forgetting about the whole slew of carbon fiber M Performance parts BMW released for the M2? There's your spiritual CSL successor right there, but without the crap SMG transmission.

The new grille looks way better in person. I have seen both OG and Comp parked next to each other, too. I own neither FWIW, but it's one of the reasons I'd consider buying a Comp instead of a used OG.
OG M2 looks dated already.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #73
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Meh, to each his own. I hardly feel like the OG M2 looks dated. Hell, I think the e46 and e39 still look timeless. No connected grilles there. Again, I don't think being connected is the real issue with the M2C grille, but more the shape and proportion. Looks okay on a BSM M2C because you can't see the exact outline, but if looking at an AW or HKS car from the front, particularly when the car is in motion on the track, it just looks goofy and out of place. Like buck-toothed or something. Just my personal opinion.
      03-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #74
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
As the owner of neither, the M2 grills look better to me than the M2C grills.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #75
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Someone has to have done the manual conversion on a M3 CSL.

It is very common on base cars, a straight forward conversion as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #76
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
As the owner of neither, the M2 grills look better to me than the M2C grills.
As an owner of the M2C, I can confidently state the OG M2 grills look better.

But, I can respect the additional airflow and functionality of the newer design.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #77
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Am I the only one who is thinks it's absurd that the m2 is more than 500lbs heavier than the e46??
Than the CSL*

The normal E46 M3 has a curb weight of 1,549kg in US spec which is not too much less than the US M2 depending on who is reporting the numbers.

The CSL is crazy light compared to the standard M3, the trunk floor is cardboard, roof is carbon fiber, etc
Yeah I know what the csl is... they are doing a direct comparison between the two which is why I mentioned what I did...
There's almost 15 years of technology advancements between the two cars, you would think weight savings would be a huge part of bmws R&D for this car but clearly not
The new tech and safety that has been added into today's car also weighs. Without that r&r they'd be far heavier than they are no doubt.
Appreciate 0