johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb570 View Post
Tossing around idea of lowering my car. Mainly for looks, not too low but fill in the wheel gaps better. But looking at BC coil-overs or just lowering springs like H& R. Question is do you think the coil-overs are worth the money or just swap springs ??

BC Coil-overs
https://www.vividracing.com/racing-t...152645703.html

or
https://www.vividracing.com/racing-t...152645704.html

Lowering springs
https://www.vividracing.com/racing-t...152645703.html

THanks for your input. Any real world experience with these products would be great.
You mentioned an option of installing H&R lowering springs which are typically much stiffer than stock and 1.5" drop. Recommend checking for other options to consider such as if say Eibach or Dinan have a moderate drop spring (~3/4") that is a little more stiff than stock but not as stiff as H&R.

Also another way to eliminate some fender gap is to upgrade tires and size. For instance if I upgrade stock Pirelli runflats in 225/45-18 to summer Michelin goflats in 245/45-18, it would provide better handing and slightly higher sidewall for better comfort over poor roads which also would fill gender gap. Remember NOT to use sizes on sidewall to calculate sidewall height. Those online calculators are all inaccurate for the same reason. Use the TireRack website to look up the ACTUAL measured diameter of a particular brand/model and size of your stock tire to a proposed tire to calculate exactly what the sidewall difference might be.

Remember that a 1" drop in springs will eliminate 1" of fender gap. But a 1" difference in tire diameter will mean a 1/2" of fender gap eliminated. (It's the difference in the radius of the tire which is the amount above the wheel center or hub.)

You should be able to make measurements of your current fender gap and know exactly how that gap will change before you spend a dime on springs or tires.

To get exact measurements I use the following:
Painters/masking tape
Thin straight edge
A level
An inexpensive measuring caliper (Harbor Freight)
Tape measure or ruler

1) place painter's tape on fender lip at peak.
2) use level vertically to place a pencil mark on the tape directly above the centerpoint of the BMW logo on the center of the road wheel
3) use caliper to measure distance from top of wheel to fender lip at the pencil mark. Write down that number.
4) place thin straight edge across the top of the tire sticking out of the fender at the pencil mark. Use caliper to measure distance from the straight edge on top of the tire to the bottom of the fender lip at the pencil mark.
5) use tape measure or ruler to measure the distance from the centerpoint of the BMW logo on the road wheel to the outer edge of the road wheel.

With those measurements, along with the spring manufacture's drop predictions and TireRack's measured tire diameters, you have everything that you need to know what your current wheel gap iis and be able to predict accurately any change in wheel gap if you changes springs and/or tires.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #24
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I'll be moving from H&R springs to Dinan HAS next week. I don't mind the H&R being a bit stiffer and they don't lower the car too much (about 1 inch front and a bit less in the back).

I'll post my experience when I get to compare them.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #25
Ribosome
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 | 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I'll be moving from H&R springs to Dinan HAS next week. I don't mind the H&R being a bit stiffer and they don't lower the car too much (about 1 inch front and a bit less in the back).

I'll post my experience when I get to compare them.
For what it's worth. Also from BC (but drive around bad Langley/White Rock roads) I have KW HAS which also have a helper spring. They are very very comfortable, more so than OEM. The only tricky thing is the install but dinan's instructions are very good. Let us know how you like the dinans, which I heard are a step up from the KW
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:42 AM   #26
Steveng01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 120i

My suspension is stock but I can share my experience on lowering springs on my friend’s M2. He had the most comfortable lowering springs Eibach with stock bumpstops. I test drove his car once and it was a scary ride. At low speed everything was fine, but just a little bumpier than stock setup. And the stance was a lot better than stock. But on the highway the suspension felt like lost the grip of the road and I didn’t feel safe. My friend said it was because of mismatched bumpstops. Lowering springs might be a cheap solution if you want stance but not comparable to stock setup if you weigh on the performance more.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #27
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / G01 X3 M40i / F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribosome View Post
For what it's worth. Also from BC (but drive around bad Langley/White Rock roads) I have KW HAS which also have a helper spring. They are very very comfortable, more so than OEM. The only tricky thing is the install but dinan's instructions are very good. Let us know how you like the dinans, which I heard are a step up from the KW
How do you like the KW HAS? I've been looking into lowering but am hesitant based on poor performance from springs and getting coilovers to work as expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #28
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveng01 View Post
My suspension is stock but I can share my experience on lowering springs on my friend’s M2. He had the most comfortable lowering springs Eibach with stock bumpstops. I test drove his car once and it was a scary ride. At low speed everything was fine, but just a little bumpier than stock setup. And the stance was a lot better than stock. But on the highway the suspension felt like lost the grip of the road and I didn’t feel safe. My friend said it was because of mismatched bumpstops. Lowering springs might be a cheap solution if you want stance but not comparable to stock setup if you weigh on the performance more.
This sounds like an alignment issue, not anything to do with bumpstops.
Appreciate 0