BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M2 N55 will keep its value better then M2 S55 Compitition

03-21-2019, 01:28 AM   #23
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

It won’t hold value any better unless S55 is found to be a time bomb at high mileage.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:27 AM   #24
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwny2018 View Post
What made the original m2 such a success it that it was old school M car with a great growling N55 engine with the power band well suited for the size of the car. The 2019 competition m2 5k us more than the 2018. Its 0 to 60 time is a meager 0.1 sec faster , its 125 lbs heavier, the back end is kinda bland looking with the resonator in your face. The exhaust sound is dull, and in turns of performance it lapped 7.52 at Nurburgring a mere 6 seconds faster the the original M2, its combined MPG is 19 versus 22 for the original M2.In dealing with its value both cars probably will not be collectables but it terms of retaining its value which would most people pick? The fun car that closer to the old school M cars or the detuned M4 selling as the new and improved M2?:
Someone is butthurt about the m2c. So ur saying og m2 is the only fun car and m2c is not fun because it has a m4 engine ? Lol
I get the same impression about a lot of OGM2 owners, some of which are self admittedly "salty" about the M2C. There's an entire thread about it actually.

The OP trying to bash the M2C as having a "de-tuned M4 Engine" as if that was some derogatory way of tearing down the M2C to make himself feel better about his car.

I've said it plenty but these constant, stupid battles between the OG M2 owners and M2C owners attempting to validate their self worth is ridiculous. Just enjoy the damn car you own, if you love it, that's what matters. If you think yours is better and it makes you happy, that's what matters. However, if you're going to come on a public forum and try to get people to align with your subjective truth, then you're sadly mistaken. The M2C is the objectively better car. Guess what? The M2CS will be better still. And then all of our cars will be the old generation in 3 years and we'll be having discussions about how the F87 is the "last true M car" just like every generation before that.

This argument/discussion is so tired.

We all knew our cars would be devalued and obsolete with each new year thereafter, give it a rest already. There's no way your older car will hold its value better than a newer version. Unless it's the exception to the rule which it already isn't, then I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
Appreciate 10
tranck499.00
goku7173.00
MDuckie93.00
Evil///M161.50
Ikester192120.50
Bobby P88.50
zdbmw46.00
kfscoll208.50
      03-21-2019, 04:19 AM   #25
chris719
Major General
Rep

The fact is, despite the differences in this case, the competition package cars have always retained a little more value. True for E46 and E92.

Anyway, no one should expect these cars to be 1Ms or air cooled Porsches.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #26
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

OG M2 owner here.

I get the saltiness of course, since at the time of the OG, it was assumed M2 would never see an S55 in it.

Truly and objectively, except for sound and curb weight, the M2C is a better car in almost every way over the OG M2. Even with the added weight, stock for stock, the power to weight ratio is slightly better with the M2C.

If I didnt have an M2 already that I love and enjoy, M2C would be the better choice because sound isn't really a factor in purchasing decisions. In 20 years for sure M2C with proper M motor will be more sought out, just like the S54 vs S52 M Coupes today. The Clownshoe is my dream car and when looking, I only look for S54 variants. One day... but I digress.

That being said, I have never been salty or desired the M2C. And for me it comes down to the way I've personalized and got to know my car. I'm choosing to continue to mod it lightly and make it perfect for me.

No salt here. Sorry OP but you seem salty, and that sucks. I understand the sentiment, but it's more emotional than rational. Rationally, the M2C is a better car. 6 seconds is huge on a racetrack, not mere.

In the canyons, where low end and midrange reign supreme, similarly skilled drivers going hard will be neck to neck, I think. Where top end is involved such as faster sweepers and of course the track, the M2C will walk away from the OG M2. And, for the sake of progress, I don't think consumers would expect anything less from BMW.

Anyway gotta go, about to pack up for a road trip to the NC mountains in my OG, where I will enjoy "the sound of my people" and expect the thought of "I wish I was driving an M2C instead" to occur exactly 0 times.

(EDIT) PS. At 37,000 miles so far, and adding 7,500 miles of road trips just in the next few months, I plan to drive thing as many miles as possible, so clearly, value down the road isn't really important to me. I measure value by smiles per mile, and those are still at an all time high!

Last edited by ddk632; 04-03-2019 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Fix typo
Appreciate 18
MDuckie93.00
nosbocaj636.50
Altra265.50
KO764.50
clee1982796.00
W///7434.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
Ikester192120.50
Robin_NL8679.50
qnet676.00
M2Cnme33.00
Dabozo624.50
      03-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #27
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
OG M2 owner here.

I get the saltiness of course, since at the time of the OG, it was assumed M2 would never see an S55 in it.

Truly and objectively, except for sound and curb weight, the M2C is a better car in almost every way over the M2C. Even with the added weight, stock for stock, the power to weight ratio is slightly better with the M2C.

If I didnt have an M2 already that I love and enjoy, M2C would be the better choice because sound isn't really a factor in purchasing decisions. In 20 years for sure M2C with proper M motor will be more sought out, just like the S54 vs S52 M Coupes today. The Clownshoe is my dream car and when looking, I only look for S54 variants. One day... but I digress.

That being said, I have never been salty or desired the M2C. And for me it comes down to the way I've personalized and got to know my car. I'm choosing to continue to mod it lightly and make it perfect for me.

No salt here. Sorry OP but you seem salty, and that sucks. I understand the sentiment, but it's more emotional than rational. Rationally, the M2C is a better car. 6 seconds is huge on a racetrack, not mere.

In the canyons, where low end and midrange reign supreme, similarly skilled drivers going hard will be neck to neck, I think. Where top end is involved such as faster sweepers and of course the track, the M2C will walk away from the OG M2. And, for the sake of progress, I don't think consumers would expect anything less from BMW.

Anyway gotta go, about to pack up for a road trip to the NC mountains in my OG, where I will enjoy "the sound of my people" and expect the thought of "I wish I was driving an M2C instead" to occur exactly 0 times.

(EDIT) PS. At 37,000 miles so far, and adding 7,500 miles of road trips just in the next few months, I plan to drive thing as many miles as possible, so clearly, value down the road isn't really important to me. I measure value by smiles per mile, and those are still at an all time high!

You sound like an absolutely rational person that enjoys his car in the real world and isn't preoccupied with comparing stats on paper or arguing on the internet over who has the better car. Enjoy your car, the OG M2 is certainly an amazing car! The only reason I didn't get one was because I couldn't afford it. By the time I could, I just got lucky that the M2C was available, but not planned by me in the beginning. Anyone is lucky to have an M2, and I hope everyone can just enjoy it and stop this pissing match.

Appreciate 7
MDuckie93.00
ddk632583.00
goku7173.00
Altra265.50
qnet676.00
M2Cnme33.00
      03-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #28
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
You sound like an absolutely rational person that enjoys his car in the real world and isn't preoccupied with comparing stats on paper or arguing on the internet over who has the better car. Enjoy your car, the OG M2 is certainly an amazing car! The only reason I didn't get one was because I couldn't afford it. By the time I could, I just got lucky that the M2C was available, but not planned by me in the beginning. Anyone is lucky to have an M2, and I hope everyone can just enjoy it and stop this pissing match.

Haha, thanks! That sounds like a reasonably accurate description of my viewpoints Congrats on the M2C, enjoy yours as well!

Appreciate 1
M2Cnme33.00
      03-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #29
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Quote:
...I measure value by smiles per mile, and those are still at an all time high!

Couldn't have put it any better!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
bmwny2018
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 2011i xdr, bmw 2018 M2

In USA a 2016 M2 with 15-20 thousand miles in excellent condition easily will sell for 45-47K, not bad for the car sold for 51k brand new its holding it value better than most 2016 BMW's
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #31
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

I have to agree...this argument gets old. It's really not up for debate. The M2c is a better M2...and I say this as an OG M2 owner. It's called progress. This in no way disparages the OG M2 at all. When it was released it was breath of fresh air for BMW and car enthusiasts. Looks and sounds are subjective, but performance figures dont lie. It scoots around a circuit faster than the OG M2. End of debate. That being said...I get a kick out of all the stat jockeys here. Probably 90% of you will never have your M2 or M2c on a track, and the 10% who will already have done specific modifications to their cars to overcome shortcomings that a stock car will have after being run hard on track days. On public roadways and back roads, where most of us drive our cars, the difference between the OG M2 and the M2c are practically unnoticeable. I'm willing to bet no one on here is a good enough driver to run their car at even 9/10ths on the track, let alone on the street (nevermind how ridiculously stupid and unsafe that would be). The vast majority of us do a few 0-60 red light pulls and a little spirited driving on back roads...none of the advantages the M2c offers over the OG M2 are going to be realized under those circumstances. Enjoy whichever version you have and know that unless you duel it out on track, you arent going to notice any difference in "the wild".
Appreciate 7
DanG10444.00
MR_M2517.50
tranck499.00
Ikester192120.50
M2Cnme33.00
Dabozo624.50
      04-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #32
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

SCCA classed the M2C into A-street, and many thought it wouldn't be competitive there against the late model Z06 Vettes and Porsche Caymans along with those who proclaimed it would actually be slower than the OG M2 on course...take a look at the Crow's Landing ProSolo results from last weekend.

An M2C took 1st and 2nd in class in A-street, and PAX'd 5th overall -- an incredible showing for its first time out; of course two fantastic national level drivers also who report the car is great on course and very fast. The car still has lots of prep room left in stock class too (i.e. still on stock shocks and wheels for example).

One step back in B-street, an OG M2 took 1st and 2nd in that class too, again with two fantastic national level drivers and PAX'd 10th overall.

I was a bit skeptical when the SCCA put the M2C into A-street, but this initial outing on a car with almost zero prep is enlightening. It looks like it sealed the deal to keep the car out of B-street for good. The M2C's total time was 72.757 versus the OG M2 at 74.528. Clearly the SCCA SEB was spot on in the classing of the M2C as that is a huge difference and perfectly aligns the M2C to be in A-street (let's hope they don't move it into Super Street).

Two great cars. Two fun cars! Both are achieving great results in SCCA autox stock class competition in their respective classes. In B-street last year at Nationals, an OG M2 lost to a 1M by 6/1000ths of a second for the combined runs (~130 seconds). Let's hope for a repeat challenge in B-street with either car winning, and let's hope for a great showing in A-street for the M2C (assuming Bryan competes with it) where competition will be insane.

It's rare for SCCA stock classes to have competitive BMWs, and now we have multiple models topping the results in different classes (i.e. E92 M3 in F-street is a beast with multiple 1st titles in recent years).

Having owned/autocrossed/tracked many BMWs over the past 40+ years, these four cars stand out as amazing examples to me (E90 M3, M2C, OG M2, 1M), but I'm not biased or anything.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8

Last edited by CSBM5; 04-07-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
W///7434.00
      04-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #33
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You guys need to remove yourself from this thread. Too much sound reasoning and objective talk coming from you two. Only emotional and delusional reasoning can be discussed here.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #34
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Heh, ok, one more rational opinion.
I don't really care about value since I'm keeping the car forever.
But I don't think that it will make a lot of difference in 20 years, both will be seen as great classics.
What will matter is condition, manual transmission, and mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #35
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I agree. In ten plus years there will be very little difference in value between the M2 and the M2C. The wild card is the M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #36
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
But I don't think that it will make a lot of difference in 20 years, both will be seen as great classics.
In 20 years when you are being transported around in your electric transport pod and the government has all but outlawed operating cars that utilize fossil fuels to propel themselves...I think that's what you meant to say.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #37
Guydj1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LBB

If you live in Europe I’m sure they both will hold their value well, I wouldn’t even be surprised if they actually started going up in value once the new legislation and technology that’s introduced on all new cars sold from 2022. That is you won’t be able to drive any faster than the speed limit of any given road due to the software and gps linked to your vehicle, you can override it by pushing hard on the accelerator but if you continuously do that nobody knows the impact on insurance premiums with big brother watching.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #38
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
and no sunroof
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #39
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

LOL history has already proven the N55 M2 value sucks. I traded my 2017 with 8k miles in around Oct 2017 for 47k and as of now 6 months later that car is probably a 40k trade in if I'm lucky.
Appreciate 1
chris7197271.50
      04-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #40
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
OG M2 owner here.

Truly and objectively, except for sound and curb weight, the M2C is a better car in almost every way over the OG M2. Even with the added weight, stock for stock, the power to weight ratio is slightly better with the M2C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
SCCA classed the M2C into A-street, and many thought it wouldn't be competitive there against the late model Z06 Vettes and Porsche Caymans along with those who proclaimed it would actually be slower than the OG M2 on course...take a look at the Crow's Landing ProSolo results from last weekend.

An M2C took 1st and 2nd in class in A-street, and PAX'd 5th overall -- an incredible showing for its first time out; of course two fantastic national level drivers also who report the car is great on course and very fast. The car still has lots of prep room left in stock class too (i.e. still on stock shocks and wheels for example).

One step back in B-street, an OG M2 took 1st and 2nd in that class too, again with two fantastic national level drivers and PAX'd 10th overall.

I was a bit skeptical when the SCCA put the M2C into A-street, but this initial outing on a car with almost zero prep is enlightening. It looks like it sealed the deal to keep the car out of B-street for good. The M2C's total time was 72.757 versus the OG M2 at 74.528. Clearly the SCCA SEB was spot on in the classing of the M2C as that is a huge difference and perfectly aligns the M2C to be in A-street (let's hope they don't move it into Super Street).

Two great cars. Two fun cars! Both are achieving great results in SCCA autox stock class competition in their respective classes. In B-street last year at Nationals, an OG M2 lost to a 1M by 6/1000ths of a second for the combined runs (~130 seconds). Let's hope for a repeat challenge in B-street with either car winning, and let's hope for a great showing in A-street for the M2C (assuming Bryan competes with it) where competition will be insane.

It's rare for SCCA stock classes to have competitive BMWs, and now we have multiple models topping the results in different classes (i.e. E92 M3 in F-street is a beast with multiple 1st titles in recent years).

Having owned/autocrossed/tracked many BMWs over the past 40+ years, these four cars stand out as amazing examples to me (E90 M3, M2C, OG M2, 1M), but I'm not biased or anything.
Well written guys, and there should be nothing else to add to these 2 posts
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #41
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
LOL history has already proven the N55 M2 value sucks. I traded my 2017 with 8k miles in around Oct 2017 for 47k and as of now 6 months later that car is probably a 40k trade in if I'm lucky.
Wait until the CS comes out and the Competition drops. Every dog has its day. This is just the nature of owning a car. Unless you are buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini, I never understood the preoccupation with resale value or speculating potential collectibiily of a new car?? If these cars ever become collectible (and that a BIG if, they made way to many to be unicorn cars) it will probably be 40 years from now. Quite frankly, I don't see any modern cars as collectible for a multitude of reasons, but thats for another discussion. Enjoy your car...drive the piss out of it and don't worry about resale value, collectibiily, etc. Its all a great big unknown, except for the fact that these cars are a hoot to drive. That we know for certain.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #42
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it's just a normal (good) car. The 1M was a total anomaly in terms of resale.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #43
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
Quote:
Wait until the CS comes out and the Competition drops. Every dog has its day. This is just the nature of owning a car. Unless you are buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini, I never understood the preoccupation with resale value or speculating potential collectibiily of a new car?? If these cars ever become collectible (and that a BIG if, they made way to many to be unicorn cars) it will probably be 40 years from now. Quite frankly, I don't see any modern cars as collectible for a multitude of reasons, but thats for another discussion. Enjoy your car...drive the piss out of it and don't worry about resale value, collectibiily, etc. Its all a great big unknown, except for the fact that these cars are a hoot to drive. That we know for certain.
I wish more people would just enjoy the hell out of their cars and remember why they got them to begin with. It seems a good amount of people on this forum are more concerned with resale value (pointless on a depreciating asset with a guaranteed successor every year) and trying to compare numbers on paper.

Drive the hell out of your cars, maintain the hell out of them, and remember we're all here because we love the cars we bought (or ordered) and let's get back to why we love the brand, the car, etc.

This thread was stupid from its inception.
Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
VBM225.50
BlkSVT388.50
      04-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #44
VBM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

Value is relative. I contend mine will always have great value to me and my family. 2 weeks ED, Stelvio, Furka, Grimsel, Gothard, 138 mph on Autobahn & Nuerbering Nordeschleif. Daily driver and smiles every time I start it up or cruise through a tunnel. No one is promised tomorrow...enjoy today and be happy!🤘🏻
Appreciate 0