BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Sluggish pull in 1st gear

03-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Sluggish pull in 1st gear

Hey everyone,

The other day I was at a traffic light and when it turned green I pulled off in first gear, but when I did it stuttered/coughed 3 times jerking the car a bit (back and forth) before driving away normal. Any ideas why this happened?

I like to think my clutch control is fairly decent after almost 10 years of driving. This has happened 2 or 3 times.

Also when driving around in 1st/2nd gear around town, mainly London so speed is normally under 20mph, the car just doesn't sound natural and has metal like sounds. Am I overthinking this or is this normal?

FYI car is at 3700 miles and used to motorway driving.
      03-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim.F32 View Post
Hey everyone,

The other day I was at a traffic light and when it turned green I pulled off in first gear, but when I did it stuttered/coughed 3 times jerking the car a bit (back and forth) before driving away normal. Any ideas why this happened?
Happened to me a few times as well. Haven't quite figured it out yet since I'm still in the break-in period and have to short-shift every time, and I also only drive on the weekend. But it seems like my foot is feathering the throttle too much (can't floor it) and when I pull off the throttle ever so slightly, then try to re-apply, it goes into that chugging/stutter/jerking mode. And we're talking millimeters of feathering, not inches or anything.

I still have to practice with it more to figure out why this happens, but that's my only thought on it so far. Curious to see what others have to say.
      03-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

I think its the hill assist. It likes to hold for a little to long sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
OGM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

the sluggishness in 1st and 2nd sometimes is the torque being managed when DSC is fully on, set it to MDM or DSC off and you will not experience this. note that it is not wheel slip - DSC is actually predicting that the wheels will slip and proactively reducing the available torque before they do. kinda annoying but also kinda smart.
      03-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Benjoepen
Rep
Drives: M140i VO

I’ve noticed the exact same thing. I almost thought it was the car throwing me back and me lifting as a result but like in an on / off jitter kind of a scenario.

However I haven’t noticed it in a while and I have recently been driving with MDM on which I guess based on what’s been suggested above might be why.

Let me know if you get the same effect. I’m going to try a few pulls with full traction on and see if I get a difference. It’s quite annoying if it is this. I’ve never had anything similar in my 140i...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjoepen View Post
I've noticed the exact same thing. I almost thought it was the car throwing me back and me lifting as a result but like in an on / off jitter kind of a scenario.

That's what I was thinking as well. I'll have to try in MDM or with DSC off once I'm out of the break-in period.
      03-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2C View Post
the sluggishness in 1st and 2nd sometimes is the torque being managed when DSC is fully on, set it to MDM or DSC off and you will not experience this. note that it is not wheel slip - DSC is actually predicting that the wheels will slip and proactively reducing the available torque before they do. kinda annoying but also kinda smart.
I have to agree with this. I drive primarily in Sport+/MDM, and I'm always surprised by how much I can get away with in 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd (i.e. cold temps, tires like rock) w/o traction control/pullback. Any other setting and it's always involved
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjoepen View Post
I’ve noticed the exact same thing. I almost thought it was the car throwing me back and me lifting as a result but like in an on / off jitter kind of a scenario.
I get this with my M2 DCT and I initially thought the same thing. I think the car just doesn't like going slow in first gear, like most track cars. I live in a city and it happens when I'm stuck behind someone doing 15mph. And it especially happens after I'm on the treadmill at the gym, cause my foot doesn't have as much control after a workout. I just get up to 3k rpm as fast as I can and put it into 2nd.
Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      03-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Will try with the MDM/DSC off
      03-24-2019, 11:21 PM   #10
TonyL128
BMW Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i coupe

My wife has this problem on her M4 Comp w/DCT. It's actually quite a common issue with the M3/M4 w/DCT. You can check in those forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:50 AM   #11
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

...DCT posts are starting to mix in with the MT posts here lol...

The old SMG (e46 M3) was notorious for bucking like a bronco occasionally when starting in 1st gear -this happens when one's foot is not applying throttle in a smooooth manner; the quick fix a BMW instructor told me way back in the day was to shift into 2nd immediately.

The DCT is sooo much smoother than the SMG, I'm surprised people still have this problem. The old SMG in automatic mode jerked every single time it shifted and was unusable; the DCT in automatic mode is good enough that you could have your Mom drive it, and she would never know it wasn't a "true" automatic.
Appreciate 0