BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2017 OG M2 vs 2018 Honda Type R

12-15-2018, 04:10 AM   #23
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp M/T

I have both the Type R and an M2C in manual. The Type R really punches above its class as its a lot of car yet costs only just a bit over half of an M2C (where I'm from).

Looks wise, I know not everyone will appreciate but in my case, it has actually grown on me over the past few months and I can't imagine having my TypeR without its huge wing. Interior is good but of course not to M2C's levels.

But I kinda have to disagree a bit vs the other reviews on the thread though. I actually find the M2C's manual feel a bit better. Clutch pedal direction is more forward vs downward for TypeR which is kinda awkward especially with its heavily side bolstered seats. Shift feel also seems a bit more precise and shorter on the M2C. Then Type R steering is a little bit too heavy for me and it's a shame that you can't customize it unlike the M2C. In terms of suspension, I'm actually more comfortable on the non-adaptive M2C which I didn't expect.

TypeR engine feels linear just like the M2C and 4-doors plus a big boot are nice to have. One big complaint on the Type R was the 245/30 20" tires as I find going over bumps too harsh. Anyway, I'm changing my TypeR wheels to smaller aftermarket ones to solve this issue.

I'm keeping both for now as I enjoy alternating between these cars.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      12-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #24
kkakonn
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Financial decision or based on driving experience?
a little of both. I had 8 cars at the time and I just didn't find a good enough reason to hold onto the M2. It was driven the least and didn't make sense to keep. If i wanted to track I would take my e46. I would either daily my truck or m5, and for the weekend the gt4 is much more fun =]
      12-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #25
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Congrat's OP on the excellent decision to spend time w your son, and nice story.

The M2 is not a razor sharp car, its insulated from the road and the steering is a numb but precise vs. more focused track cars like Porsche and it sounds like the R. And the shifter is traditional BMW rubbery.

With that said, it depends what you're after. I enjoyed the M2 as a great DD as its more of a luxury sports car that is isolated from the road, a great sweet spot of comfort with some sport dialed in. And I enjoyed the casualness of the manual shifter / clutch for DD. Driving a heavy clutch on a track machine 100% of the time would get old quick. But when it came to back road time, the M2 was a bit boring as its not connected to the road. You just feel like you're going super fast isolated from the road compared to my C4S which is communicating to you at all times. Again, depends on what you're after. They each fit a different niche.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 2
Aloha Joe391.00
tranck499.00
      12-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #26
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Congrat's OP on the excellent decision to spend time w your son, and nice story.

The M2 is not a razor sharp car, its insulated from the road and the steering is a numb but precise vs. more focused track cars like Porsche and it sounds like the R. And the shifter is traditional BMW rubbery.

With that said, it depends what you're after. I enjoyed the M2 as a great DD as its more of a luxury sports car that is isolated from the road, a great sweet spot of comfort with some sport dialed in. And I enjoyed the casualness of the manual shifter / clutch for DD. Driving a heavy clutch on a track machine 100% of the time would get old quick. But when it came to back road time, the M2 was a bit boring as its not connected to the road. You just feel like you're going super fast isolated from the road compared to my C4S which is communicating to you at all times. Again, depends on what you're after. They each fit a different niche.

Have you driven a 718 or 981 Cayman? Do they have the same isolated feeling as the M2?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #27
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I havent driven any recent Caymans. Last time I drove one was in comparison to my 05 M3 ZCP. The Cayman was much sharper than the M3 at that time, however I wasnt interested in a 2 seater as my only vehicle. I can say my 991.1 C4S and GTS were a different level of sharpness than the 15 M3 and M2 but that's to be expected at double the price point.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post

I understand exactly you're saying. I kept my 2013 6mt Sport 370Z with exhaust & clutch mod for approx 3 months together with the new M2 and would drive the Z about 25% of the time. Yes the Z is a 9 year old chassis, slower than the M2 and yes, it's raw, snug, lacking of modern features but you do feel this nice connection to the steering, road and engine.

Prior to learning about the M2, a friend and sales rep at BMW, wanted me to try a M235i, 6mt. It wasn't your typical test drive, as I got to take it on the highway and my favorite mountain road in a very spirited fashion. The M235i was fast, smoother, handled well, more practical and I thought to myself, I could live with this car on a daily basis. However on my drive home, within a minute or two, the decision was clear. I was keeping the Z. The M235i was just too sterile for me.

For me, the M2 crosses the connected feeling box better than the M235i. It's definitely a faster, more practical and better daily than the Z. However if I had a 3rd enclosed garage, I'd still have my Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #29
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post
I have both the Type R and an M2C in manual. The Type R really punches above its class as its a lot of car yet costs only just a bit over half of an M2C (where I'm from).

Looks wise, I know not everyone will appreciate but in my case, it has actually grown on me over the past few months and I can't imagine having my TypeR without its huge wing. Interior is good but of course not to M2C's levels.

But I kinda have to disagree a bit vs the other reviews on the thread though. I actually find the M2C's manual feel a bit better. Clutch pedal direction is more forward vs downward for TypeR which is kinda awkward especially with its heavily side bolstered seats. Shift feel also seems a bit more precise and shorter on the M2C. Then Type R steering is a little bit too heavy for me and it's a shame that you can't customize it unlike the M2C. In terms of suspension, I'm actually more comfortable on the non-adaptive M2C which I didn't expect.

TypeR engine feels linear just like the M2C and 4-doors plus a big boot are nice to have. One big complaint on the Type R was the 245/30 20" tires as I find going over bumps too harsh. Anyway, I'm changing my TypeR wheels to smaller aftermarket ones to solve this issue.

I'm keeping both for now as I enjoy alternating between these cars.
jagged, This past Sunday, my son came over to wash & detail his car. We then went driving and swapped cars & drivers. Not something I really noticed on my initial trip, but the clutch as you mentioned feels straighter on the M2 vs the Type R. To me it's not so much up and down, but feels like the clutch pedal is more towards the right vs the M2. Not something that bothers me but I did notice it after you mentioned it. Maybe the Type R seats are more crooked vs the M2

I understand, feel is subjective but I'm fine with both cars steering weights and didn't realize the M2's was adjustable or is it just the M2C? However my son & I both feel the shifts are shorter on the Type R. Especially the cross shifts, 2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th and back, unless they changed the shifter on the M2C as well. Please don't get me wrong, I don't feel the shifter is bad on the M2, it's just that I prefer the Type R shifter over the M2.

Like my first post in this thread, I'm still very impressed with the Type R and very lucky to have my son own one, as I get to drive it!

Name:  M2 & Type R.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  65.9 KB
Appreciate 1
jagged32.50
      01-10-2019, 12:22 AM   #30
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp M/T

I'm unsure if BMW updated the manual transmission from M2 to M2C. Because where I'm from, the M2 was only available in DCT that's why I skipped that series as I really wanted an M/T sporty car despite our terrible traffic situation. Then the M2C was announced and I was glad to know that an M/T option was available.

Overall, I find the M2C a more comfortable car vs the Type R and I guess the much less bolstered seats plays an important part apart from the luxury interior trimmings.

By the way, since my last post, I've changed my stock TypeR tires to 18" Volk Racing TE37 Saga 18x9.5's and I feel handling has improved as a bit while ride quality has definitely improved. The Type R is in a car audio shop now as I've upgraded the entire sound system (stock came with only speakres on the doors) by adding an external amp, subwoofer w/ amp, plus premium Morel speakers. Picking it up very soon and the Type R will probably take over the M2C's DD chores soon
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe391.00
      01-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #31
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post
I'm unsure if BMW updated the manual transmission from M2 to M2C. Because where I'm from, the M2 was only available in DCT that's why I skipped that series as I really wanted an M/T sporty car despite our terrible traffic situation. Then the M2C was announced and I was glad to know that an M/T option was available.

Overall, I find the M2C a more comfortable car vs the Type R and I guess the much less bolstered seats plays an important part apart from the luxury interior trimmings.

By the way, since my last post, I've changed my stock TypeR tires to 18" Volk Racing TE37 Saga 18x9.5's and I feel handling has improved as a bit while ride quality has definitely improved. The Type R is in a car audio shop now as I've upgraded the entire sound system (stock came with only speakres on the doors) by adding an external amp, subwoofer w/ amp, plus premium Morel speakers. Picking it up very soon and the Type R will probably take over the M2C's DD chores soon
Nice choice on the wheels My son already tinted his car and was thinking of switching out his wheels as well. Would you mind sharing a pic of yours with the new wheels?

Good move on the sound system. Sounds like your Type R is going to be a great DD
Appreciate 0