12-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #23
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
They do look fun and I am sure it drives really well. Are there any deals to be had, or are they mostly selling at MSRP?
Right now, MSRP is a good deal. I've been doing the shopping for my son, as he's an engineer for the military, working in a secure facility. Can't use computer or phone to shop around for deals while at work. So I've been working for him on finding a deal for 3-4 months.

In Hawaii, all dealers are still asking $10k over MSRP. Cali & West Coast on average, have dropped from $10k over to now about $5k over. Midwest, East Coast it can be found for MSRP (which my son paid) but you need to hunt, due to limited production. My son's car has a production # (can't remember exact) of about 20,500 etched on the console. According to the sales rep, this is the worldwide production number. Probably true, as the Honda UK (where the Type R's are built) Type R chief said that 13,000 Type R's would be made from March 2017 to March 2018. So my son's production number seems to fall in line with this.

I believe this the 1st time the Type R has been sold in the US, so it's also a big reason for prolonged mark ups. According to Honda, apporximately 40% of the Type R's built, will come to the US.

We picked up the car in Kansas City (dealer provided 30 day trip permit & picked us up from the airport) then drove it to Dallas, using motorcycleroads.com as one of our guides. I got to do ED with the M2 plus wife, and have now done Missouri delivery with my son . $2k for shipping from Dallas plus travel expenses, (which I treated my son, was well worth the time & experience with him) is a hell of a better deal than buying from the sharks in Hawaii!
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #24
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
No worries. With your nice stable of cars, I would’ve thought you’d be open minded to driving a Type R.

Forgot all about Johnny Tran. While those F&F movies were sometimes corny, I enjoyed watching them.

At my age, I wouldn’t buy one either, however if I was 26, I’d sure consider it.

Two things that blew me away on our road trip was, how well the car drove and the amount of love the Type R received. Every gas station, restaurant, other drivers and passer by’s would say nice comments, take photos and give thumbs up. Made my son feel like a rock star

I would drive a type r if it didn’t look like it was built from an autozone ricer parts catalog. Why can’t Honda make something as clean and elegant as the 97 championship white itr.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I would drive a type r if it didn’t look like it was built from an autozone ricer parts catalog. Why can’t Honda make something as clean and elegant as the 97 championship white itr.
I understand. I often hear on this forum that our M2 is a parts bin car and it's also true for the Type R. While looking for a good deal for my son, I read up a lot on it. Honda used the basic Civic body/chassis, and like the M2, upgraded a number of parts. They wanted to keep their price point a $35k.

Every funky looking piece on the Type R has a purpose, it wasn't just put on for the aftermarket, boy racer looks. Hood scoop is functional. The fender pieces were needed to accomodate wider tires, the front bumper sides with 4 holes each were added to reduce drag, as well as the opening after the front fenders, plus increase air flow to brakes. The little end lips on the front lower lip and side skirts just before the wheels, aid in downforce on the corners of the car. The huge rear spoiler is thin on top, to reduce drag and does increase downforce at speed. Those 4 little things at the very rear inner part of the roof and on the side rear, that runs down the back window. Designed to channel the wind to the thin top of the spoiler and away from the support pillars of the spoiler. Extensive testing was done by Honda in a wind tunnel for all of these parts.

Respect to Honda on all these little details, while these additions does give the car a polarizing look. They remained true to their vision of creating a very fast, great driving Civic for $35k.

OP, sorry for the thread hyjack. Last post by me on here, when time allows, I'll create a vs Type R thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #26
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
My wife and I have downsized from our DD F150 to a GTI. For kicks, here are some initial observations of the GTI and my M2.

My big takeaway, aside from the obvious dynamic differences, is that the VW tech is better overall than my M2. I can get a host of information from the fantastic touch screen in the GTI: oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, G meter, water temperature, lap timer . . . not sure why BMW doesn't allow any of this in an M car. The VW also has Android Auto, which would be a lovely thing in my M2. I like the i-Drive interface better than the touch screen, though.

The interiors feel to be similar in quality and materials. The M2 seats are better, with more aggressive bolstering. But the GTI seats are more than adequate. The seat heaters are better in the BMW, but since we don't winter drive that car, it is a bit of a moot point.

At my age, headlights are a big deal. Both cars have LEDs, and both are terrific (light years better than the 2016 F150 halogens). The BMW lights seem to be a bit better at picking up things on the side of the road as I drive. The GTI has adaptive headlights, unlike my M2, and I like the illumination around the corner. The GTI also has LED foglights -- which will likely be useful at some point.

Both have excellent sound systems. I'm not enough of an audiophile to determine which is better (and since I primarily listen to the CBC it likely doesn't matter any way).

Both have distinct (enhanced) sounds. The BMW turbo is much more pronounced.

Both cars are six speeds. The shifting is better in the M2, with more of a mechanical actuation. Not unexpected, since I am sure there are cables involved in the VW because of the drivetrain layout.

We are pretty happy with the GTI as an F150 replacement. And neither of us thinks the GTI is an M2 replacement. But we are privileged to enjoy both for what they are.
I'm with you. I've got a 2011 (MK6) GTI as my winter driver, and a 2018 Tiguan as the family car. The M2 is about on par with the GTI - a significantly older car - and miles behind the Tiguan in terms of tech. The lack of Android Auto is a piss off, but one that I can deal with.

While I agree the materials are better in the M2, I actually prefer my GTI's cloth seats. Perhaps I just have them dialed in just right after so many years? In any event, I far prefer cloth to leather. As well, I find there is no comfortable position for my right leg in the M2 on longer trips (like one I took out to Kingston, matter of fact).

However, in all other respects, the M2 tickles me in ways the GTI doesn't - and never has. It kills me seeing it in the garage hooked up the the battery tender without being able to drive it. I can't wait for spring!

Last edited by digimattic; 12-07-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

My wife is perfect except she didn’t care for the tartan cloth . . . And she is a Scot!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #28
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

I own both cars, 2017
M2 manual and Mk7 GTI DCT (DD)

To put it very simple, GTI better at 1/7 driving, M2 best served at 7 - 10/10.

GTI feels a lot smaller and closer to ground, couldn't be happier with both.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #29
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitoda View Post
I own both cars, 2017

I don't own an M2, but also have Mk7 GTI and 1M Coupe and I agree. It is a great 1-7 or 1-8 driver which is where we spend most of the time.

The GTI is truly one of the great cars people aren't buying and will miss it when it goes fully automated like everything else.

Furthermore, I prefer the position of the screen lower in the center console instead of on top of the dash as well as the combination manual/touch controls over iDrive. I find it less of a distraction to BMW's top of dash iDrive. The seats in the GTI are amazing also.

I feel lucky to have both. I was chatting with someone at Cars and Coffee that had a really nice, super powerful 911 and somehow we hit on the fact that we both had Mk7 GTIs and his eyes lit up also about how cool and practical his Mk7 is. Here were two guys that own really nice sports coupes excited about a cheap VW while people that were admiring the 911 and the 1M probably thought we were crazy.

Enjoyed your post and just wanted to chime in!
Appreciate 2
mitoda66.50
seis-speed2426.00
      01-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #30
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

i've bought and sold a lot of cars over the years and if I could pick any one of them to have back it would probably be my 1996 GTI VR6
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      01-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
I own both cars, 2017

I don't own an M2, but also have Mk7 GTI and 1M Coupe and I agree. It is a great 1-7 or 1-8 driver which is where we spend most of the time.

The GTI is truly one of the great cars people aren't buying and will miss it when it goes fully automated like everything else.

Furthermore, I prefer the position of the screen lower in the center console instead of on top of the dash as well as the combination manual/touch controls over iDrive. I find it less of a distraction to BMW's top of dash iDrive. The seats in the GTI are amazing also.

I feel lucky to have both. I was chatting with someone at Cars and Coffee that had a really nice, super powerful 911 and somehow we hit on the fact that we both had Mk7 GTIs and his eyes lit up also about how cool and practical his Mk7 is. Here were two guys that own really nice sports coupes excited about a cheap VW while people that were admiring the 911 and the 1M probably thought we were crazy.

So jealous about the 1M, I feel the biggest problem of the M2 is that 1M exists!
Appreciate 2
GearRex193.50
seis-speed2426.00
      01-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #32
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
I own both cars, 2017

So jealous about the 1M, I feel the biggest problem of the M2 is that 1M exists!
M2 is a great machine too! Reminds me of another cars and coffee meet where I met a guy with a beautiful bright yellow Lotus Esprit Turbo. Loved his car and we were talking for a bit until most people had left. Pretty much my 1M and his Lotus remaining. Then as he is looking over my shoulder he says: man that 1M is beautiful, I would really love to get one of those!" I told him that was mine and we had a good laugh. Vested members of the mutual admiration society. I guess The thing is some of us are BMW guys and some of us are car lovers that own BMWs. I am in the latter. I own two BMWs but love other cars too. It's nice to see a thread that can appreciate other Marques for their goodness!
Appreciate 2
mitoda66.50
GearRex193.50
      02-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #33
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
My wife and I have downsized from our DD F150 to a GTI. For kicks, here are some initial observations of the GTI and my M2.

My big takeaway, aside from the obvious dynamic differences, is that the VW tech is better overall than my M2. I can get a host of information from the fantastic touch screen in the GTI: oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, G meter, water temperature, lap timer . . . not sure why BMW doesn't allow any of this in an M car. The VW also has Android Auto, which would be a lovely thing in my M2. I like the i-Drive interface better than the touch screen, though.

The interiors feel to be similar in quality and materials. The M2 seats are better, with more aggressive bolstering. But the GTI seats are more than adequate. The seat heaters are better in the BMW, but since we don't winter drive that car, it is a bit of a moot point.

At my age, headlights are a big deal. Both cars have LEDs, and both are terrific (light years better than the 2016 F150 halogens). The BMW lights seem to be a bit better at picking up things on the side of the road as I drive. The GTI has adaptive headlights, unlike my M2, and I like the illumination around the corner. The GTI also has LED foglights -- which will likely be useful at some point.

Both have excellent sound systems. I'm not enough of an audiophile to determine which is better (and since I primarily listen to the CBC it likely doesn't matter any way).

Both have distinct (enhanced) sounds. The BMW turbo is much more pronounced.

Both cars are six speeds. The shifting is better in the M2, with more of a mechanical actuation. Not unexpected, since I am sure there are cables involved in the VW because of the drivetrain layout.

We are pretty happy with the GTI as an F150 replacement. And neither of us thinks the GTI is an M2 replacement. But we are privileged to enjoy both for what they are.
I had the performance pack GTI 6 speed
It was a fantastic car ZERO complaints. It's was more comfortable than my current F80. The GTI I'd rate an 8.5 out of 10 for comfort. I rate the F80 6.9

I have the 18's on all seasons F80.

That said; the M3 is a constant adrenaline rush even just looking at it.

I still have my MK5 gti as a daily driver.

OP; the only thing the gti needs is a good set of tires; that's it!!!

I did the APR tune; nearly burnt the clutch went back to stock. Did the MSS suspension; great but went back to stock.

Did a set of Continental DWS 06 and it improved the over all car by 30% of an already fantastic car.

It was super reliable and low maintenance; enjoy the GTI!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #34
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

We are approaching 5000kms on the GTI, and I would add some additional observations. A caveat, I haven’t driven my M2 since mid-November since it is in storage.

The GTI is a versatile hauler. We haven’t had any issues with using all available space when needed. It is more useful than the can of the F150 (supercrew). The hatch helps.

The GTI has been terrific in the snow on dedicated winter tires. The car has a real LSD and it isn’t fazed by slippery conditions. I successfully navigated my unplowed street in 30cm of snow the other day — ground clearance is my only real concern.

The GTI allows for 87 octane. I’ve run the car on both 87 and 92 and I don’t see any noticeable benefit to the higher octane fuel.

The auto high beam in the M2 is significantly faster to respond.

The adaptive cruise control in the GTI takes some time to get used to.

I’m very impressed with the GTI. It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I haven’t missed the truck at all. I do fill up more often, but I am using much less fuel . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #35
SuperColossal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 / VW GTI MK6

I have been driving the GTI since they landed on US shores back in 1984. Suffice to say, I am a total unabashed fanboy. Of the 7 (or 7.5 versions), I have owned 5. I still daily drive my heavily modded 2012 Mk6 and it remains fun and fast, even w/105+ miles. I have not dynoed the GTI, but based on the Stage 2+ mods, APR claims it is making 383bhp at the crank and 360bhp at the front wheels. I love the M2! It sounds awesome, it is purpose built and has a really bad attitude! From a dig the M2 will crush the GTI everyday six ways to Sunday. However, from a roll, I think it would be very close. Ultimately the M2’s bigger displacement will win, but the MK6 remains a stellar sleeper. Their personalities could not be more divergent: GTI is happy and light, willing to assume any role, from grocery getter to hoonigan. M2 is very serious; all business and looking for any excuse to get its German-up. I love them both.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:39 AM   #36
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
My mom has an 18 GTI. My dad has an 18 M2.

There's no comparison...

Love the GTI for what it is, but driving them back to back couldn't be any different. I would take the M2 any day of the week.

Now, if I had to play in a particular price range, the GTI would be a great choice, but it cannot stack up to the persona and fun factor that the M2 delivers.
      07-04-2019, 12:42 AM   #37
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Until you look @ the 1M from the front.

A face only a blind mother could love...

BMW did that on purpose, to protect the E92 M3, but doesn't change the fact that the front of the car is just a bit comical looking...
      07-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #38
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

For the money the GTI cannot be beat for its segment class. My wife transitioned from a 2002 BMW (E39) 525i that we purchased new to a 2012 GTI Autobahn 2 door with the DSG transmission. It was suppose to be a temporary vehicle since the 2012 BMW 535i MSport had grown in size from the E39 and it felt disconnected from the road. We still have the GTI today with just under 74k miles it has the stage 1 APR installed and it is a blast to drive.

We also have a 2018 M5 (F90) and before that a 2015 BMW M3 (F80). Both vehicles were purchased new. The M3 (F80) had more then enough power and I kept it stock in the engine department. The F90 M5 is over the top in acceleration and having owned for close to a year I realize I do not need that much power for the street but it is fun.

I have tried to get my wife into a M2 / M2C and while she says it is fun to drive she wants to stay with the GTI. If they brought the 2 door GTI / Golf R back to the states we would have a new one in the drive way tomorrow.

As others have stated I am not a fan of the front wheel drive vehicles but the GTI has changed my mind set. The GTI interior presents itself in our opinion of a much higher priced vehicle. The same goes when I compared my M3 (F80) to my M5 (F90), yes I know there is a price difference between the M3 and M5. There is also a price difference between the GTI and M2. We felt the M2 was lacking for a vehicle at 64K MSRP (2020 M2C).

We are also waiting on the C8 Corvette to see where the pricing will start. I miss my 2012 C6 Z06/Z07.
Attached Images

Last edited by Egrunt; 07-09-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #39
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I have a 16 GTI Autobahn inbound to replace my wife's totaled DD. Hoping it's a good experience, my first VW.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #40
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
For the money the GTI cannot be beat for its segment class. My wife transitioned from a 2002 BMW (E39) 525i that we purchased new to a 2012 GTI Autobahn 2 door with the DSG transmission. It was suppose to be a temporary vehicle since the 2012 BMW 535i MSport had grown in size from the E39 and it felt disconnected from the road. We still have the GTI today with just under 74k miles it has the stage 1 APR installed and it is a blast to drive.

We also have a 2018 M5 (F90) and before that a 2015 BMW M3 (F80). Both vehicles were purchased new. The M3 (F80) had more then enough power and I kept it stock in the engine department. The F90 M5 is over the top in acceleration and having owned for close to a year I realize I do not need that much power for the street but it is fun.

I have tried to get my wife into a M2 / M2C and while she says it is fun to drive she wants to stay with the GTI. If they brought the 2 door GTI / Golf R back to the states we would have a new one in the drive way tomorrow.

As others have stated I am not a fan of the front wheel drive vehicles but the GTI has changed my mind set. The GTI interior presents itself in our opinion of a much higher priced vehicle. The same goes when I compared my M3 (F80) to my M5 (F90), yes I know there is a price difference between the M3 and M5. There is also a price difference between the GTI and M2. We felt the M2 was lacking for a vehicle at 64K MSRP (2020 M2C).

We are also waiting on the C8 Corvette to see where the pricing will start. I miss my 2012 C6 Z06/Z07.
Police officer.... you wouldn't be speeding would you?
Appreciate 1
kpaso183.00
      07-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #41
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Wow I hate start stop. Especially in TX summers when the AC starts blowing warm.
If your vehicle's engine shuts down and the A/C starts blowing warm air, then there's something wrong with your vehicle. Start/Stop systems are designed to keep the cool air pumping out with A/C, so they'll typically avoid shutting the engine off at all. Or if it does shut off, it will only shut off until the A/C can no longer send cold air into the cabin and then it will start the engine again.
Appreciate 0