BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > New M2C Style mirror caps from Autoid

10-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #133
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
My mirrors came in. It was a tougher job than I thought but not too bad. This thread helped a ton. They look better in person than in pictures IMO. I don't have any irregular wind noise.
Extremely jealous yours look perfect. Mine did not come out like that unfortunately

Got a replacement drivers side base (for free) coming in the mail but had to pay for a new set of caps since I broke tabs on both sides during install

Do you have any tips or tricks to get the caps on? Mine felt very tight fitting and were extremely difficult to get on for some reason.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #134
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Extremely jealous yours look perfect. Mine did not come out like that unfortunately

Got a replacement drivers side base (for free) coming in the mail but had to pay for a new set of caps since I broke tabs on both sides during install

Do you have any tips or tricks to get the caps on? Mine felt very tight fitting and were extremely difficult to get on for some reason.
The caps were a little tough for me at first. I made sure I started by getting that tab in the slot at the bottom. From there I tried to make sure everything was lined up at the top, and carefully pressed it together working from inside were the tip is, to the outside. The reason I started at the tip is because I had a hard time with it on the passenger side were I started.

On the passenger side I had a hard time getting the tip on the inside to snap in, but eventually did, so I started at the tip on the drivers side and that seemed to work better.

Another tip is to make sure the base and shell are put together solid, and everything is snapped into place. I had to take it apart once, and make sure all the screws went in - a little at a time- in a star pattern like the AutoID video recommends.

Hope that helps, it not the easiest of jobs, but wasn't that bad once I got one side done and could see how it went together.
Appreciate 4
AndrewC198910910.50
bmxcamel552.50
JTO245271.50
      10-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #135
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@AUTOID View Post
That's right! That tap is key to having the perfect fitment of the cap. This was taken over from the genuine M mirror caps, they have tabs in the same place.

If this clip is broken durning installation, the fitment will be effected. Unfortunately, we're not able to replace for free of charge if the tabs are broken (as spraying the caps are costly and are margins aren't huge), but I am happy to help out and replacement the mirror cap for the fee it costs us to spray each mirror cap.
yeah cheers mate, please pm for pricing for the passenger side cap (RHD) in alpine white
      10-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #136
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@AUTOID View Post
Dude, these photos are killer!

Can I share on our social channels?
I didn't see your post, sure of course you can.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #137
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Hoping to see a resolution soon.

I might just have to go back to the original M2C mirror idea.
I received mine from AutoID yesterday...will put them on this week-end and hope to get same results as qnet ... I also thought about going OEM on these, but that is 4x the cost of these and I'd say looking at the photo below...this is likely as close as you're gonna get to OEM without spending $2K+
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
bmxcamel552.50
qnet681.50
      10-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #138
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

i wonder why companies cant duplicate the design of cap, would it be like infringement?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #139
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
i wonder why companies cant duplicate the design of cap, would it be like infringement?
I wondered about that also.

I've looked at the M2C mirrors a whole lot. It's one of the primary reasons I've spent some time in that section of the forum. I've read people say the mirror is the same, but the M2C/M3/M4 mirrors look slightly more elongated. This looks like the closest AutoID could come to designing them, were they would fit with the OG M2 mirrors and also not get sued by BMW, if that's the case.

Either way, I'm happy with them. It's about what I was hoping for, and wouldn't be hard to undo if I wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #140
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Its not just the cap, it's the entire fixture. Look at the stalk that comes out from the door(where the mirror connects to the car), its more oval on the M2C vs the original. The shape of the mirror itself is different, the turn signal is different and the volume of material below the turn signal is different. Probably nothing with copyright and everything with the design of the entire thing being dramatically different.

I will say that if you don't see them side by side it's a great cheat.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #141
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Its not just the cap, it's the entire fixture. Look at the stalk that comes out from the door(where the mirror connects to the car), its more oval on the M2C vs the original. The shape of the mirror itself is different, the turn signal is different and the volume of material below the turn signal is different. Probably nothing with copyright and everything with the design of the entire thing being dramatically different.

I will say that if you don't see them side by side it's a great cheat.
Im mainly talking about replicating the shape of the pointy 'wing' part of the mirror cap, as that is what is mostly noticable
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #142
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im mainly talking about replicating the shape of the pointy 'wing' part of the mirror cap, as that is what is mostly noticable
It's actually closer than you think. One of the tough things about taking pictures of these mirrors is the angle of the picture. In the picture above were F87_LCI has my car next to what I assume is an M2C, the angle is slightly different in the way the pictures were taken.

Natek is correct about the other stuff, but I think the main thing is the difference in the shape of the actual mirror. To make the AutoID mirrors almost identical to the OEM ones they would have had to include a new mirror also. I suspect that would be very costly

It may not seem like it, but I'm pretty picky like some of you guys. I notice the same things you do, it just doesn't bother me as much, I assume. It took me awhile to even decide on getting mirror caps until these came out. As much as I would like getting the OEM mirrors, it's just too much of a hassle IMO and I'd rather spend the money on something else. Anyone who wants the go that route, that's cool . It would be nice to have a buddy at a BMW dealership, like SeanWRT; but most of us don't have that luxury.

Natek is correct, it's a great cheat, and I'm happy with it. (pics below still not the best angle, but close as I could find)
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
mjsaville101.00
JTO245271.50
heavyD^23688.50
      10-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #143
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Curious to see CF ones installed if anyone has gotten those.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #144
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
It's actually closer than you think. One of the tough things about taking pictures of these mirrors is the angle of the picture. In the picture above were F87_LCI has my car next to what I assume is an M2C, the angle is slightly different in the way the pictures were taken.

Natek is correct about the other stuff, but I think the main thing is the difference in the shape of the actual mirror. To make the AutoID mirrors almost identical to the OEM ones they would have had to include a new mirror also. I suspect that would be very costly

It may not seem like it, but I'm pretty picky like some of you guys. I notice the same things you do, it just doesn't bother me as much, I assume. It took me awhile to even decide on getting mirror caps until these came out. As much as I would like getting the OEM mirrors, it's just too much of a hassle IMO and I'd rather spend the money on something else. Anyone who wants the go that route, that's cool . It would be nice to have a buddy at a BMW dealership, like SeanWRT; but most of us don't have that luxury.

Natek is correct, it's a great cheat, and I'm happy with it. (pics below still not the best angle, but close as I could find)
Those look really good. Mine should be arriving by this weekend and I'm excited to get them installed.

For the smoked turn signals - How's the fitment and do you miss seeing the turn signal light at the end of the mirror? Any updates on issues with the brightness?
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      10-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #145
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:

the mirrors are lookin real cool

for me im getting the cf version, i have bsm colour on my OG,

and it was just lucky timing that I heard that they made these new mirrors for the OG, I was also looking to prob get the OEM m2c mirrors but didnt want to drop down another 2k for those, so it was good timing these came out now

and since the m2c came out, i didnt think any new developments would be coming out for the outgoing OG, these are prob the best option right now
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      10-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #146
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Those look really good. Mine should be arriving by this weekend and I'm excited to get them installed.

For the smoked turn signals - How's the fitment and do you miss seeing the turn signal light at the end of the mirror? Any updates on issues with the brightness?
The fitment is good. I like seeing the signal at the end of the mirror, but it's no big deal. I don't think I have issues with brightness, but I haven't viewed them in the direct sunlight yet. Since it doesn't blink on the end you can't tell while driving.

I never actually paid any attention to how bright the OEM turn indicator were. If I could have found some regular ones that blinked just like the OE ones, but smoked, I would have preferred that.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #147
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
The fitment is good. I like seeing the signal at the end of the mirror, but it's no big deal. I don't think I have issues with brightness, but I haven't viewed them in the direct sunlight yet. Since it doesn't blink on the end you can't tell while driving.

I never actually paid any attention to how bright the OEM turn indicator were. If I could have found some regular ones that blinked just like the OE ones, but smoked, I would have preferred that.
Thanks! Appreciate the input. Went ahead and picked up a pair off eBay because of it. Hoping it'll be here by Saturday with the mirror shells as they're shipping from SoCal so I can have it all installed this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #148
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Quote:
Nothing to do with infringement! It’s all about working around the internals and the size of the OE mirror glass.

The genuine M mirror caps have different clips and fitting locations to non-M cars so it makes it almost impossible to use the same design.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #149
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
Curious to see CF ones installed if anyone has gotten those.
We’re still working on our first production run at the moment. We’re havng trouble at the minute with getting the fixing points for the plastic clips on the full carbon cap - but we’re getting there.

First deliveries are scheduled for Nov 5th but I think we may be a little delayed Will he emailing customers with a proper update soon.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #150
Pyjamarama
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

The highly pleasant and exceedingly helpful Jack at Autoid today took care of installing a pair of the mirror caps for me. The fit is excellent and the installation was very straightforward. Clearly the trick is to take your time and at no point hurry the process! I know that I wasn't undertaking the installation process myself but watching Jack take care of it, whilst being constantly distracted my idle chatter, he took his time and the end result is stunning. The fit is superb and my hour long journey home, with varying speeds did not reveal any "whistling" or indeed any other strange noises.

Living in the UK has some added benefits I guess, in that if one is dealing with a UK supplier of products like this, you can always call upon them to install the product!

Take your time is the key expression here!

Happy days!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #151
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjamarama View Post
The highly pleasant and exceedingly helpful Jack at Autoid today took care of installing a pair of the mirror caps for me. The fit is excellent and the installation was very straightforward. Clearly the trick is to take your time and at no point hurry the process! I know that I wasn't undertaking the installation process myself but watching Jack take care of it, whilst being constantly distracted my idle chatter, he took his time and the end result is stunning. The fit is superb and my hour long journey home, with varying speeds did not reveal any "whistling" or indeed any other strange noises.

Living in the UK has some added benefits I guess, in that if one is dealing with a UK supplier of products like this, you can always call upon them to install the product!

Take your time is the key expression here!

Happy days!
Can you do some photo's of them installed please? I'm keen to see how they look on a UK car. I've heard the mirror gaps from left to right are different potentially putting me off committing to buy.

thanks in advance....

MJ
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #152
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

ok kids...finally got around to installing these today. Took me about an hour/hour and fifteen. Watched the video as I did the drivers side so it took a bit longer...also thanks to qnet for helpful posts on this thread. Fitment is good, no gaps around LED signal, Driver side (LHD) "wingtip" is only slightly further from the A-pillar than the passenger side, no whistling at slow or fast speeds (as far as I can tell - my car is VERY LOUD!!)

Some tips:

1. when putting the mirror back together, put the glass/mirror in last. video says to put the cover on last, but then you can't see the alignment for the tabs, and you can't make sure they are inserted all the way and locked - because the mirror is blocking your view.
2. as some have said, when putting the cover on, make sure the bottom most tab is in the slot and then put cover on by lining it up and applying pressure from the "wing" (window side) out to the far side. Much easier to get it all lined up. double check to make sure the tabs are locked correctly -use needle nose pliers
3. think someone said it, but don't tighten the rear screw (holding the bottom bezel) all the way at first - leave it a bit loose so you can make sure you have everything lined up correctly from the front side first.
4. The most IMPORTANT screw is the lower/outer screw. Get all the screws in there respective places but tighten this one FIRST! then do the rear screw (bottom bezel), then top outer, then bottom inner, then top inner and leave the bottom middle for last.. then go back and tighten them all again in that same order, just to be sure lol.

Other than that, all the advice in this thread is good. I was concerned reading some of the posts and the fact that AutoID Jack has had to give some tips, but this is totally doable by yourself if you have the right tools. (T-10 torx head being the key one). On to the pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 12
D22M21372.50
nioh_lbbm21716.50
mjsaville101.00
qnet681.50
davekt4.50
AndrewC198910910.50
heavyD^23688.50
Altra265.50
Smiler1.50
      10-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #153
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

^ looks great !
Appreciate 2
F87_LCI1787.00
      10-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #154
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

F87_LCI, great point about leaving the mirror for last. I hadn't thought to mention that. Also, your pictures are really good, a lot better than mine. You really captured the true look of these mirrors.
Appreciate 2
F87_LCI1787.00
Scotta0.00