BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Wait, whaaat!? A Civic Type-R is faster than a BMW M2 around the Nürburgring?!?

01-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Guys I didn't slur anything, sorry you take my not driving a Honda an attack on your cars. I just made a statement of personal preference..... We prefer the design of euro cars, the wife and I. If I prefer to drive a turd and you a cherry..... don't take it that I say all cherries are shit.

There are a lot of super fast American cars out there but I think they are designed like cheap toys and lack good classy design. Like what afwares referred to, the CTR could be the best fuck in the world but i would never be caught with it in public. Just say'n
You called it a "rice burner," that's the slur.
Should everybody be calling Bimmers "kraut wagens"?

I hope the majority of this forum are no longer in high school or stuck at that level of maturity.
No kraut but bratwurst wagen sure. The M2 would be then a short chubby one on a scale. C&D already referred to BMWs as sausages of different lengths.
Appreciate 2
ZPrime610.50
bollinm25.00
      01-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
No kraut but bratwurst wagen sure. The M2 would be then a short chubby one on a scale. C&D already referred to BMWs as sausages of different lengths.
Lol
Appreciate 1
Mavus2014.50
      01-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Sounds like p0rn titles.
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I'm not sure why everyone is hating on this car so much. Yes it's overstyled, yes it's ugly, yes it's in your face, but it's also a $30k hot hatch that Honda is betting will appeal to the younger crowd. A crowd you may have noticed that was never bit by the car bug like a lot of us were. I personally wouldn't buy one, but at 43 years old I'm not the demographic they are after. I hope this car sells extremely well to the 30 and under crowd, capturing a whole new generation of car enthusiasts that are on the verge of killing off the performance car as we know it. With cars like this, the Focus, the Subie STi, there's hopes manufacturers will realize that entry level performance cars are what's needed to hook the consumer on fun, performance oriented, cars and keep catering to them as they grow up and into cars like our M cars. It's a win-win for everyone! Go Honda!
Appreciate 15
champignon1562.00
akkando5860.00
Aloha Joe391.00
RedCarrot230.50
qnet676.00
mssVT98137.00
Aronis2267.00
bollinm25.00
Poochie9099.00
TripleU167.50
amw896582.50
      01-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #27
Bt12
Captain
Rep

Honda only recently started turbo charging their cars...
Just in time for autonomous Electric vehicles

The under 30 crowd will be doing the either uber or the monthly subscriptions... assuming these kids can pay for anything after their 200-300k college loans.

Edit: sorry, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today
Appreciate 2
emargul204.50
Aronis2267.00
      01-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #28
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Where did Joe racer come from?
I've never heard that one either, although I know the UK likes to use "boy racer."

At least that one isn't outwardly terrible to a whole race... although I guess you could argue it's "ageist..."
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #29
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Sounds like p0rn titles.
going down the slippery slope just add Helga somewhere in there
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #30
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
I've never owned a Honda. I had a Toyota a long time ago, but that's not relevant here. I don't really care if you want to hate on Japanese cars, you're entitled to your opinion about them and that's fine.

The term "rice rocket" (or "rice burner") is a racial slur against people of Japanese heritage.

I'll grant that it has lost a lot of its meaning since I'm pretty sure I've heard Japanese-American people use it to describe Hondas... but it's still a slur, by definition.
For the record, I'm a white guy (although I do actually have a Shiba Inu).

Not sure why I have to explain this.
Rice is the predominant grain in a huge part of the world, maybe covering the majority of the world's population. It has been common to refer to Japanese cars as "rice wagons" for a very long time. Of course, the first use of this expression was before there was a viable export automobile industry in Asia, other than in Japan. Now of course, Korea is a huge exporter, and (I'm guessing) they eat rice there, too. China obviously has aspirations on the car manufacturing front, also.

I'm personally a bit sick of having every expression or term used labeled as an example of "racism," or "racial slurs," or whatever. It gets old. In your world, maybe, but not in mine. Political correctness goes too far.
      01-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #31
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is hating on this car so much. Yes it's overstyled, yes it's ugly, yes it's in your face, but it's also a $30k hot hatch that Honda is betting will appeal to the younger crowd. A crowd you may have noticed that was never bit by the car bug like a lot of us were. I personally wouldn't buy one, but at 43 years old I'm not the demographic they are after. I hope this car sells extremely well to the 30 and under crowd, capturing a whole new generation of car enthusiasts that are on the verge of killing off the performance car as we know it. With cars like this, the Focus, the Subie STi, there's hopes manufacturers will realize that entry level performance cars are what's needed to hook the consumer on fun, performance oriented, cars and keep catering to them as they grow up and into cars like our M cars. It's a win-win for everyone! Go Honda!
Very well stated and my sentiment EXACTLY. We're even the same age...

Kudos to Honda, kudos to competition, I love my M2, and long live the manual tranny!!!!
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-29-2018, 03:45 AM   #32
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is getting funny
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #33
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The civic that got the ring time wasn't stock. They said the components added to the car "didn't affect" the time. I believe one of the things was a roll cage bar which they claimed "it didn't stiffen the chassis." I'd take that time they got with a grain of salt. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm 99% sure of this.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
I've never owned a Honda. I had a Toyota a long time ago, but that's not relevant here. I don't really care if you want to hate on Japanese cars, you're entitled to your opinion about them and that's fine.

The term "rice rocket" (or "rice burner") is a racial slur against people of Japanese heritage.

I'll grant that it has lost a lot of its meaning since I'm pretty sure I've heard Japanese-American people use it to describe Hondas... but it's still a slur, by definition.
For the record, I'm a white guy (although I do actually have a Shiba Inu).

Not sure why I have to explain this.
Rice is the predominant grain in a huge part of the world, maybe covering the majority of the world's population. It has been common to refer to Japanese cars as "rice wagons" for a very long time. Of course, the first use of this expression was before there was a viable export automobile industry in Asia, other than in Japan. Now of course, Korea is a huge exporter, and (I'm guessing) they eat rice there, too. China obviously has aspirations on the car manufacturing front, also.

I'm personally a bit sick of having every expression or term used labeled as an example of "racism," or "racial slurs," or whatever. It gets old. In your world, maybe, but not in mine. Political correctness goes too far.
It's a shame about all this political correctness eh ?

Apparently it must be very limiting to your vocabulary.

Just because a term is used by many,
Doesn't make it any less of a slur.

SHRED HATE Bro, don't cling to silly reasons to perpetuate.
Appreciate 6
MR_M2517.50
ZPrime610.50
      01-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #35
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
No hate for Honda... it was kool during my rice days when i was young and my friends were modding civics, del sols, lots of eclipse gsx and gst.

I had a new s2000 after my Honda Accord and Toyota Supra when it came out... I didn’t like the s2000, loved the Supra...But the only reason the s2000 and Supra has a cult following is cause they saw it on ‘fast and furious’. Other than being a fun track car, the s2000 was one of the worst cars I owned for daily driving. You needed to bring the engine up to 7000 rpm’s before the v-Tech solenoid kicked in and it was rough... can u just imagine daily driving the car at 7000 rpm everyday, every drive every shift... when the v-Ted didn’t kick in... it felt like a civic. my 600 cc race bikes were more fun in that aspect.

I tried to live my life a quarter mile at a time with the s2000. But the next light was usually always less than a quarter mile!

Edit: Count how many times I used the word rice and when I said race bikes I meant my 3 rice rockets, 600gsxr, 600rr and r6.
Interesting about the 7k vtech, my AP2 kicks in to vetch at 5800 rpm, and I know guys who got a tune that has the vetch kicking in arouond 4000 rpm. The s2000 is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven, the 6 speed tranny is pure bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Yes, congrats to Honda for making an affordable fun car! If it wasn't so ugly I might own one.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #36
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

my very first car was a Prelude...enjoyed that car...wasn't particularly fast, but it was fun to drive...then had a CRX (91), Civic si (98) and then a limited run Type R (2001 Integra version). Couldn't park that car anywhere without wondering if I would come back and find an empty spot...i think after 2 years it had something like an 80% theft rate out of sold units...but what a car...screaming redline at 8500rpm...handling like it was on rails...loved that car. Got older, earned more $...switched from Japanese to German and haven't seen the need to go back. Nothing wrong with Japanese cars.
Appreciate 2
qnet676.00
      01-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
my very first car was a Prelude...enjoyed that car...wasn't particularly fast, but it was fun to drive...then had a CRX (91), Civic si (98) and then a limited run Type R (2001 Integra version). Couldn't park that car anywhere without wondering if I would come back and find an empty spot...i think after 2 years it had something like an 80% theft rate out of sold units...but what a car...screaming redline at 8500rpm...handling like it was on rails...loved that car. Got older, earned more $...switched from Japanese to German and haven't seen the need to go back. Nothing wrong with Japanese cars.
My list of dream cars for which I dumped my Honda Accord.

Ford Mustang
Acura integra Type R (gen 1)
BMW E30 M3

Went with RWD and better transmission in the BMW and haven't looked back.

I was a huge Acura/Honda fan before bmw and you still have to respect they own some niches and have created others. I could daily drive a Honda Fit as a commuter but I really prefer RWD and don't live in a cold climate
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #38
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I don't think it's a case of broad Japan-bashing. This forum has some well-educated and experienced members who know their history, and they appreciate how Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Datsun etc. changed the automotive landscape. Without the efficiency, refinement and QC punches to the mouth that these companies dealt to the big 3 in the late '70s, early '80s, who knows how badly and for how long the American auto industry would have gone off the rails. The Honda Civic and Accord (not to mention the Toyota Celica, Supra and Corolla and Datsun 240) changed everything, and forced US manufacturers to take a long hard look in the mirror.

I think it's more a case of design struggle, and it's not just the Civic R. There is such a thing as going too far as Lexus has discovered:

https://jalopnik.com/is-the-spindle-...les-1822300581

Look at the new Toyota Avalon, of all cars. I personally think it's ok, but I wouldn't be shocked if in an attempt to lower their average buyer age they end up with everyone saying the front of the car looks like a baleen whale.

And I know exactly where DETRoadster is coming from - I appreciate that Honda is at least trying, and I hope they continue to push the envelope. But with this design...I would love to have watched Honda's focus groups to see which demographic they studied and how they reacted. I'm not a "millenial", so you guys tell me, is this the car that millenials told Honda they really wanted?
Appreciate 2
ZPrime610.50
TripleU167.50
      01-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #39
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

I've got nothing against Hondas, have owned a couple. Good cars.
The Type R isn't my cup of tea, so I won't buy one. I'm sure those that do will like it.
Has anyone seen what dealers are selling them for? I know the MSRP is $34k. I stopped in to a local dealer that had one in the showroom. Big sign on the windshield read "Not for Sale". I asked about having the newest hot Civic in a showroom & not being available. Salesman told me they are hard to get & they need to keep one for folks to see... and that they had yet to figure out the 'market adjustment'.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #40
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOJOE View Post
Ahhhhh so there is a back story here... ...that makes a little more sense.

For what it is worth the CTR was slower than the M2 in The Grand Tour's "Lap Board" around their "Ebola Drome"...

BMW M2: 1:26:2
CTR: 1:28:2

...but not by much...

Either way from this point forward I will simply refer the New Civic Type-R as a "Type-R" vs a "Civic"...
2 second difference in such a small track is indeed a big difference.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #41
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Needs the newer better Michelin Tyres that's all.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #42
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
The PS4S tires are no match for the R compounds that Honda used for the 'ring time. Same goes for the Alfa QV. These manufacturers are stacking the deck using semi-slick rubber and bragging about it. If these two cars were baseball players, they probably wouldn't be voted into the MLB Hall of Fame.
Appreciate 1
mssVT98137.00
      01-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #43
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
The PS4S tires are no match for the R compounds that Honda used for the 'ring time. Same goes for the Alfa QV. These manufacturers are stacking the deck using semi-slick rubber and bragging about it. If these two cars were baseball players, they probably wouldn't be voted into the MLB Hall of Fame.
I missed that part lol.

Time to get some real rubber and let Sabine Schmitz record a proper ring time in a M2 for a true comparison.
Appreciate 1
BLOJOE78.50
      01-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #44
Bt12
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
Interesting about the 7k vtech, my AP2 kicks in to vetch at 5800 rpm, and I know guys who got a tune that has the vetch kicking in arouond 4000 rpm. The s2000 is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven, the 6 speed tranny is pure bliss.

Yes, congrats to Honda for making an affordable fun car! If it wasn't so ugly I might own one.
I exaggerated a little... i had the ap1 vtec engagement is 6000-6500 rpm. Thye lowered it 500 or so for ap2. I bought my ap1 brand new when it first came out and never tuned. Part of the reason they changed to ap2 was the rough ride.

Ill be more specific... i hated my ap1

Btw in most of my cars i usually around 3000 rpm typical daily driving. Driving at 5-6000 rpm all the time is really high. The s2000 is ultimately a high rev engine. We sold it after a year

Last edited by Bt12; 01-29-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0