BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Active Autowerke | M2 Build Documentation **Updated 7/13/16**

Closed Thread

04-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #45
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
Those Volk TE37s look great! I really like the 18 inch look and beefy sidewalls.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusblazeee_f22 View Post
Those volks thooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionrace View Post
Thanks for the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
Why develop a new intercooler? It has the same part number stock as m235i. I am sure the ones developped for m235i will be a straight fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The M235i ones could be restrained by space limitations inside the front bumper/fascia. Possibly room for larger intercooler in the M2?
If there is room to improve on the existing intercooler than we'll try and make use of it. We have multiple different sized cores here that we can use to see exactly how big of a cooler we can fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
It would be really interesting to compare lap times for stock vs. square 275/35/18 setups.
BMW specified over 200 tire parameters to Michelin for the M2's special tires.

Oh, and dropping the car reduces suspension travel.
That can be bad when you're tracking the car and you hit the bump stops.
Just sayin'.
At the end of the day the PSS was still designed to be a good all around street tire. The class of tire we're going to use would be more similar to a Pilot Sport Cup.

Fortunately the coilover design that we plan on using to lower the car will not sacrifice travel. The M Performance Coilover requires you to adjust ride height by actually lowering where the spring sits on the shock. The design we're working with retains the full shock travel and spring preload at all times, and the ride height is adjusted by an external mount on the bottom of the shock. So basically to adjust height, you're moving the mounting point of the car to the bottom of the shock up or down, instead of lowering the spring and reducing travel.

Quote:
Agree. It's one of those weird sport + comfort features.
F1-simulation paddles + slushbox-simulation auto mode.
BMW developed it just to "keep up" with other car makers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Yep, afaik Porsche PDK 7speed and Ferrari's 7DCT are basically the 'same' Getrag DCT gearbox BMW uses with optimalized software etc.

But anyway. 1:12.2

Cheers
Robin
DCT is no doubt faster and more consistent. But it's less romantic and with current trends I'm worried that the death of the third pedal is near, especially in sports cars. Not to mention that the 6MT makes better numbers on the dyno than a DCT car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
TE-37s look great!!!
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Why should they ? Customers await ?!

18x9.5 - skinny wheels

I dropped 18x10s with 275/35 continentals on my 1M instantly for my track setup , and definitely more than 9.5 is needed with that size tire.

I Hope this baby can fit more than this...

I imagine that like most BMWs a square setup and some camber will make it a great track machine that doesn't cost you an arm a leg in tire because you can rotate all around.
The 10" 275 combo will fit fine in the rear. I'm worried about the front. The front fender does have a small lip that may need to be rolled, but hopefully we can make it work without doing all that.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 06:50 AM   #46
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post

DCT is no doubt faster and more consistent. But it's less romantic and with current trends I'm worried that the death of the third pedal is near, especially in sports cars. Not to mention that the 6MT makes better numbers on the dyno than a DCT car

ROFLOL

You made my day man.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #47
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

It's amazing how the same classic wheels look great on every new model that comes out.

White with this 6 spoke folks is the look!
      04-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #48
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

David, how many miles did the car have when you dyno it?

Also, could the TQ be limited due to first break-in map?

Last thing, is it true that overboost is not if function until 1200 miles service?

Thank you, and amazing job so far!
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #49
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Maaaaaybe. Andrew put up a thread in the sales section. I'll get with him tomorrow to see what we can do about intro pricing for the M2 tips.
Any updates on intro pricing? Considering these as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #50
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post

Last thing, is it true that overboost is not if function until 1200 miles service?

Believe it had about 5xx miles at the time of the dyno.

Overboost was working when I drove it with 100 miles. It was fairly noticeable when accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #51
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

Thank you Andrew, as this is my first car with overboost feature and I'm still easily break-in the engine.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #52
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Franklins query was the same as mine which is .. Will my 1M track wheel setup fit ?

haha i take this as an offer to use your track wheel setup at COTA....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #53
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Cool update. I must be the only one who doesn't like the Volks on the M2. They don't work well together in my opinion.
Appreciate 4
      04-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #54
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
Those Volk TE37s look great! I really like the 18 inch look and beefy sidewalls.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusblazeee_f22 View Post
Those volks thooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionrace View Post
Thanks for the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
Why develop a new intercooler? It has the same part number stock as m235i. I am sure the ones developped for m235i will be a straight fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The M235i ones could be restrained by space limitations inside the front bumper/fascia. Possibly room for larger intercooler in the M2?
If there is room to improve on the existing intercooler than we'll try and make use of it. We have multiple different sized cores here that we can use to see exactly how big of a cooler we can fit.

Quote:
It would be really interesting to compare lap times for stock vs. square 275/35/18 setups.
BMW specified over 200 tire parameters to Michelin for the M2's special tires.

Oh, and dropping the car reduces suspension travel.
That can be bad when you're tracking the car and you hit the bump stops.
Just sayin'.
At the end of the day the PSS was still designed to be a good all around street tire. The class of tire we're going to use would be more similar to a Pilot Sport Cup.

Fortunately the coilover design that we plan on using to lower the car will not sacrifice travel. The M Performance Coilover requires you to adjust ride height by actually lowering where the spring sits on the shock. The design we're working with retains the full shock travel and spring preload at all times, and the ride height is adjusted by an external mount on the bottom of the shock. So basically to adjust height, you're moving the mounting point of the car to the bottom of the shock up or down, instead of lowering the spring and reducing travel.

Quote:
Agree. It's one of those weird sport + comfort features.
F1-simulation paddles + slushbox-simulation auto mode.
BMW developed it just to "keep up" with other car makers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Yep, afaik Porsche PDK 7speed and Ferrari's 7DCT are basically the 'same' Getrag DCT gearbox BMW uses with optimalized software etc.

But anyway. 1:12.2

Cheers
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
TE-37s look great!!!
Agreed!

Quote:
Why should they ? Customers await ?!

18x9.5 - skinny wheels

I dropped 18x10s with 275/35 continentals on my 1M instantly for my track setup , and definitely more than 9.5 is needed with that size tire.

I Hope this baby can fit more than this...

I imagine that like most BMWs a square setup and some camber will make it a great track machine that doesn't cost you an arm a leg in tire because you can rotate all around.
The 10" 275 combo will fit fine in the rear. I'm worried about the front. The front fender does have a small lip that may need to be rolled, but hopefully we can make it work without doing all that.
The coilover issue always makes me wonder why people spend 3-4K on setups that sacrifice preload and shock travel to lower. When there are companies like fortune that make custom damping setups for selected custom swift springs. I always go with them. $1500-2k gets you a killer 2 way setup these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph
Quote:
Franklins query was the same as mine which is .. Will my 1M track wheel setup fit ?

haha i take this as an offer to use your track wheel setup at COTA....
Not sure how good the tires are but I do have two sets of wheels. The problem is the ET though
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #56
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:

ROFLOL

You made my day man.

Cheers
Robin
DCT - Pay more to get less.

Tell friends you will save .02 seconds per shift while car actually has 10 less hp all the way around the course.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #57
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
The coilover issue always makes me wonder why people spend 3-4K on setups that sacrifice preload and shock travel to lower. When there are companies like fortune that make custom damping setups for selected custom swift springs. I always go with them. $1500-2k gets you a killer 2 way setup these days.
Agreed. I'm going to try and get the stock dampers on the shock dyno at BC sometime next week. We also plan on running Swift springs on our kit. I'm on the fence about either spec'ing out a single adjustable digressive setup or just going with a full 2-way. I fear that most consumers will not spend the time to dial in a proper 2-way setup and they will realistically not be able to take advantage of the independent adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #58
Gato Grande
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
wow. the m2 can swallow wheels. i imagine some people who lower this thing will be putting 19x10s and 19x12s on it with some stretch and track guys will be doing 18x10 easily. with the power and size of this car and how it can handle, seems this is an evolution of the e46m3

love the white!
You think with 19x10 & 12s the factory tires will work?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #59
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
It's amazing how the same classic wheels look great on every new model that comes out.

White with this 6 spoke folks is the look!
Yup, some wheels are genuinely timeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post

I will be putting the car back on the dyno after the 1200 mile service to see if there is a notable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Any updates on intro pricing? Considering these as well.
You should be receiving a PM shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Cool update. I must be the only one who doesn't like the Volks on the M2. They don't work well together in my opinion.
Thanks! They aren't for everyone, and fortunately there is no shortage of wheel options these days
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #60
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Agreed. I'm going to try and get the stock dampers on the shock dyno at BC sometime next week. We also plan on running Swift springs on our kit. I'm on the fence about either spec'ing out a single adjustable digressive setup or just going with a full 2-way. I fear that most consumers will not spend the time to dial in a proper 2-way setup and they will realistically not be able to take advantage of the independent adjustments.
Sorry my bad I meant 1 way. I totally agree. I had custom BC's and swifts on the last car and the ride was so nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #61
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

David Can you guys measure front camber and take pics of the strut hats (which are unique to the M2)?
      04-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #62
Icsunonove
Enlisted Member
Argentina
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM

Quote:

Apex EC-7 18x10 ET33 275/35/18 square

rear 12mm closer to the fender
front 11mm closer to the fender
front 19mm closer to suspension

what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #63
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
Can you guys measure front camber and take pics of the strut hats (which are unique to the M2)?
The main difference in the strut hat is the mounting for the brace. However I also haven't confirmed that the ID of the hole for the strut is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icsunonove View Post
Apex EC-7 18x10 ET33 275/35/18 square

rear 12mm closer to the fender
front 11mm closer to the fender
front 19mm closer to suspension

what do you think?
I'm not sure that is correct? Off the top of my head the OEM front wheel is 9" et31. Going to a 10" et33 should only be a difference of 1/2" plus 2mm, which would equal 14.7mm closer to the suspension.

If it is indeed 14.7mm closer to the suspension I think it may work but I don't think 19mm will clear.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #64
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
DCT - Pay more to get less.

Tell friends you will save .02 seconds per shift while car actually has 10 less hp all the way around the course.
Agreed:
6MT=€6800,- more expensive(CO2tax), DCT is standard in the Netherlands.....

I'd rather go Dutch

*Help me out OrangeCrush *

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #65
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
The main difference in the strut hat is the mounting for the brace.
Difference from what?

Quote:
However I also haven't confirmed that the ID of the hole for the strut is the same.
I think it is, because the top nut is the same as used on all the F-series cars.

Will you post pics? I'm looking for the possibility that it's an off-center mount, like the ones on the M4 GTS...
      04-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #66
Icsunonove
Enlisted Member
Argentina
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM

Quote:
The main difference in the strut hat is the mounting for the brace. However I also haven't confirmed that the ID of the hole for the strut is the same.

I'm not sure that is correct? Off the top of my head the OEM front wheel is 9" et31. Going to a 10" et33 should only be a difference of 1/2" plus 2mm, which would equal 14.7mm closer to the suspension.

If it is indeed 14.7mm closer to the suspension I think it may work but I don't think 19mm will clear.
It is correct. Check it out here http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

OEM front is ET29, so ET33 is 4mm plus 15mm as the tyre goes from 245 to 275. Wheel width does not matter because the tyre increase is wider than the wheel.

But as you said, most likely 19mm will not clear.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread