BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track junkie, but first time with M2

09-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #1
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Track junkie, but first time with M2

It looks like I will be able to get some laps in before winter this weekend. I’m curious to know what to expect from the car in its stock form on stock tires.

Some background. This will be at Calabogie Motorsports Park, a track I have thousands of laps on, in a variety of cars and power levels.

I don’t anticipate pushing too hard, given that I don’t know tha car very well at this time.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Car will handle great in stock form, very neutral. Easy to drive with all nannies off. Depending on your level of driving, brake pads and stock tires may be fine or melt.

With the laps you have, you will likely be able to roll your tires onto their sidewalls and chord them within the day.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Car will handle great in stock form, very neutral. Easy to drive with all nannies off. Depending on your level of driving, brake pads and stock tires may be fine or melt.

With the laps you have, you will likely be able to roll your tires onto their sidewalls and chord them within the day.
I am planning to be disciplined, given that it is currently stock . . . but that torque is so addictive.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Just beware of brake fade with stock fluid and pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Just beware of brake fade with stock fluid and pads.
+1. Also, I’ve had issues with the tires getting greasy, even when managing the pressures. Michelin PS4S. Great street tires, but on hot days at the track they haven’t held up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Stock tires are very easy to chord
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #7
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Tad understeer with stock tires/suspension and brake fade with stock pads. Also, you can track worry free with sport+/mdm as DSC keeps the car extreme stable/smooth and saves you from just about everything. Once you've learned the car, you'll start to realize how intrusive DSC is when you're trying to push the car past 85%.
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep

Wow! That was eye-open8ng indeed. No wonder I had to work so hard to keep pace with the M2s in my E46 M3. Even in stock form it is fantastic, though I had zero confidence in the brakes Fortunately that’s an easy fix.

I was easily 20km/h faster at the end of the long straight than in the M3, and that’s with braking at the 5 marker, not the 1, and not pushing the corner entering the straight.

I am pleased with this purchase
Appreciate 2
PLF693762.50
      10-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Yup, faster than E46 M3. Actually... faster than M3 CSL too. Not as crisp though.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
fmandel
Rep
Drives: Ford GT350R

interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #11
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Yup, faster than E46 M3. Actually... faster than M3 CSL too. Not as crisp though.
I have raced my "stock" M2 in NASA TT4 against fully track prepared E46 M3s and the M2 comes out on top in spite of 500 lbs of extra weight. The car has near perfect balance, great power/torque curve and excellent brakes ( pads and fluid change of course)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Took me some time to start beating my CSL laptimes in my M2. But IMHO it's a pretty honest comparison with the same tracks, each track visited multiple times with each car, and the same driver. I get slightly better laptimes quite consistently with the M2 now. But it's quite a huge difference in feel between the two on track ...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #13
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I did one track day in the M2 (stock except for Motul RBF 660 fluid) and was pleasantly surprised how neutral and tossable the car is with DSC fully off. And yet, it was quite forgiving.

I started the day in Sport mode and found DSC to be super intrusive esp on exiting corners (typical BMW I suppose; my Z4MC was similar). Tried Traction mode and found steering and throttle not to my liking and DSC intervention was still there, though a bit less. I turned off DSC for my last session and it was driving nirvana.

Brake pads did fade and like OP, I was braking early and taking it a bit easy as the car is still pretty new and I didn’t want to buy new tires at less than 2K miles 🤓
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      02-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #14
kvnchu
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdeuce View Post
Tad understeer with stock tires/suspension and brake fade with stock pads. Also, you can track worry free with sport+/mdm as DSC keeps the car extreme stable/smooth and saves you from just about everything. Once you've learned the car, you'll start to realize how intrusive DSC is when you're trying to push the car past 85%.
I know im digging up an old thread but didnt want to start a new one.
Like the OP am a track junkie first time tracking the m2.

Two questions:

Noticed that it was mentioned that there's just a bit of understeer in the m2c with stock suspension and stock tires.

Current setup will be -3 Camber Zero Toe Front, -2 camber slight toe in rear. 265sq re71r on stock suspension.

Should i be expecting significant oversteer at track?

Also my m2c comes with 4pot/2pot. How do they hold up with track pads? Am usually quite aggressive on brakes.

Coilovers are on its way but wont be here in time for the trackday.

Thanks all, Kevin
Caterham S3 '01
Porsche 993 '96
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:02 AM   #15
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnchu View Post
Quote:

Two questions:

Noticed that it was mentioned that there's just a bit of understeer in the m2c with stock suspension and stock tires.

Current setup will be -3 Camber Zero Toe Front, -2 camber slight toe in rear. 265sq re71r on stock suspension.

Also my m2c comes with 4pot/2pot. How do they hold up with track pads? Am usually quite aggressive on brakes.

Thanks all, Kevin
I ran my stock M2 at Summit Point Main in October and the brakes were the weak point. At a minimum you will want to do pads and fluid. I am going with Castrol SRF and PFC 12s and steel braided lines front and back.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #16
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
I ran my stock M2 at Summit Point Main in October and the brakes were the weak point. At a minimum you will want to do pads and fluid. I am going with Castrol SRF and PFC 12s and steel braided lines front and back.
I'm using PFC08 since many years, how is PFC12 in comparison?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #17
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm using PFC08 since many years, how is PFC12 in comparison?
Haven't run it myself, but the 12s are meant to be endurance oriented with good initial bite even if not as strong as 08s, and should last longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:18 AM   #18
kvnchu
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
I'll be running endless mx72 front rear and srf.

Since you ran stock before, how does the stock suspension and brakes hold up, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #19
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll be running endless mx72 front rear and srf.

Since you ran stock before, how does the stock suspension and brakes hold up, thanks!
See my comment above re brakes. I think the stock suspension is fine unless you get hooked on the track and starting doing lots of track days. After brakes, the suspension will be my next enhancement.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #20
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Haven't run it myself, but the 12s are meant to be endurance oriented with good initial bite even if not as strong as 08s, and should last longer.
08s are an endurance pad as well. 12s are a new compound and intended to replace the 08.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #21
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
08s are an endurance pad as well. 12s are a new compound and intended to replace the 08.
Ah, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #22
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Two questions:

Thanks all, Kevin
Your setup sounds great! Dont need to worry about snap oversteer, the M2 is very forgiving and stable. Learn in MDM or Sport+ mode to keep the traction control on. Only tip is to be smooth and exercise "string theory" driving. Basically, imagine one string connected between the brakes, steering wheel, and throttle. The more you use one, the less you can apply usage to one of the other two. If you are applying throttle at 30%, you can apply steering at 70%. Also, be smooth with your steering while learning the car's weight transfer/dynamics.

The 4/2 pot brakes work perfectly fine, but swap the pads and fluid the fluids, like you've mentioned
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 1
FIDDIE12.00