BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilvers, worth it???

05-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #133
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
Not sure if that would resolve my sound but I would go with MPerf because I don't see any complaints about sounds with those, while KW complaints are relatively easy to find on the forums.
I might try getting one of those rubber isolators for mine though.
They are not interchangeable. The bottom of the spring looks different than the bottom of the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #134
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Quote:
Not sure if that would resolve my sound but I would go with MPerf because I don't see any complaints about sounds with those, while KW complaints are relatively easy to find on the forums.
I might try getting one of those rubber isolators for mine though.
They are not interchangeable. The bottom of the spring looks different than the bottom of the MPE.
Yeah I didn't mean the exact one, just recreating something like that for me
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #135
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Do you still get to keep your warranty if you have an independent shop install the M Performance Coilovers instead of the Dealership?
      05-11-2020, 02:11 AM   #136
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Do you still get to keep your warranty if you have an independent shop install the M Performance Coilovers instead of the Dealership?
No not here in the UK at least

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #137
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

When people refer to as warranty, do they mean the suspension warranty? Or the warranty on the install / reinstall? As far as I am concerned, either one of those is not particularly important... I could understand warranty on a mechanical rotating part like engine, tranny, diff etc etc... but if you blow a spring or part of the coil, I would expect that part to be covered by the manufacturer, you would just have to pay for the install / reinstall... am I wrong, right or very right?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #138
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
When people refer to as warranty, do they mean the suspension warranty? Or the warranty on the install / reinstall? As far as I am concerned, either one of those is not particularly important... I could understand warranty on a mechanical rotating part like engine, tranny, diff etc etc... but if you blow a spring or part of the coil, I would expect that part to be covered by the manufacturer, you would just have to pay for the install / reinstall... am I wrong, right or very right?
I agree.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10161.00
      05-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #139
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
OGM2 oem top mounts are 💩 2 sets replaced on mine under warranty which would of been on my nickel if I had gone with aftermarket coilovers.

Now running m2c oem top mounts cw alloy and CFRP brace and no issues ✅➕🤞🤞

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
ASAP10161.00
      05-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #140
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
I have had my rear shocks (leaking) and one of my front shocks (missing adjustment knob after it fell off) replaced at no cost to me whatsoever, parts or labor. The MP coilovers were purchased online from one of the BMW retailers here for much less than MSRP.

For me, the warranty from getting it installed at a dealership was absolutely worth it and I am very pleased with BMW's service in this regard. That being said, KW does have their own warranty, but they have their own conditions that need to be met as well, so watch for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #141
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

I don’t understand why these M performance coilovers would be better than the stock M2C setup. I’m not saying they aren’t. But why would BMW not put their best suspension in an M car and choose to have a “better” one for sale separately? Sure, they could do it to make extra money but it would hurt their brand when a factory M car doesn’t perform the best it can.

Does anyone have any proof that the M Performance coilovers are actually faster around a track than the stock setup? Or are people mostly getting these for the drop in height and more comfortable ride?
      05-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #142
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
I don’t understand why these M performance coilovers would be better than the stock M2C setup. I’m not saying they aren’t. But why would BMW not put their best suspension in an M car and choose to have a “better” one for sale separately? Sure, they could do it to make extra money but it would hurt their brand when a factory M car doesn’t perform the best it can.

Does anyone have any proof that the M Performance coilovers are actually faster around a track than the stock setup? Or are people mostly getting these for the drop in height and more comfortable ride?
of course they costs less and they require tuning. the stock setup is stock ofr everybody. Lamborghini makes adjustabel suspension but you cannot modify enything, simply to avoid mess. on the m4gts there are adjustable suspension
      05-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #143
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:

The stock dampers are made to a price point, sub $100. They are also built for longevity, not necessarily performance. OEM suspension is tested to last 100K miles and operate in a wide variety of conditions.

These are effectively BMW branded KW V3's with linear springs. They are more sophisticated than the stock dampers, but still considered 'entry level' coil overs. They will control energy into the suspension more effectively and respond a lot quicker improving grip. Being able to adjust compression/rebound independently will allow a setup tailored to the conditions. The downside is longevity, and they will be more fragile than the stock dampers.

I don't have these on my car, but on a 2 minute track they will be worth a couple of seconds easily - that's a lot. They will be more compliant on the street for very little loss of civility.

These are a solid choice IMO, at this price point it would be between these and the Bilstein B16's. Next level up would be Ohlins R&T, TC Kline, JRZ Single's, MCS Singles etc. After that your into $4.5k+ territory...
Appreciate 3
      05-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #144
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Sooo, switched back to stock suspension and my noise isn't coming from KW V3s. Based on this info I can wholeheartedly recommend you V3s. I actually am installing mine back today, when I just switched back to stock yesterday.

I discovered the noise was a loose trim panel in my drivers seat footwell.
Appreciate 3
      05-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #145
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Sooo, switched back to stock suspension and my noise isn't coming from KW V3s.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #146
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Sooo, switched back to stock suspension and my noise isn't coming from KW V3s.

Soooo turns out it wasn't that either! I'm going insane but I'm extremely hopeful that I found it.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637057

Will report back later today, I have an appointment scheduled at the dealer, but instead of trying to get them to fix this, I'll probably go to my mechanic beforehand and get it done, if that works I can cancel my dealer appointment. Pray for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #147
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Absolutely not. ( to the OP question ) awful.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #148
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:

Some auto journalists have complained the stock suspension was already stiff. Coilovers are a whole level of stiffness above that (the springs are physically stiffer, so even on full soft rebound/compression it's still stiffer). For the majority of M owners that never track their car, that is unacceptable for the street.

That being said, stiffness is just one variable. The coilovers are more sophisticated such that they will handle bumps and such more competently, so just because it is much stiffer doesn't mean it is much less comfortable - it is slightly less comfortable for DD (in my opinion) but the tradeoff is definitely worth the handling improvement for me. I keep it full soft on the street and turn it up at HPDEs.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #149
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

So is everyone having the BMW dealership install these in order to retain the warranty on adjacent components? I believe the dealer install is more expensive than an independent shop.
      05-16-2020, 03:26 AM   #150
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
In what way - the price, or the performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #151
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
So is everyone having the BMW dealership install these in order to retain the warranty on adjacent components? I believe the dealer install is more expensive than an independent shop.
My understanding is that if you or an independent shop install them you only get the standard 2 year warranty on the parts (not the labor)

Assuming the installation was done correctly I don't think it would have an impact on the rest of your warranty (however I'm not 100% sure about this TBH)

In any case, here is what the BMWUSA website has to say about the warranty for the M Performance Coilovers

"Most original BMW accessories that are installed on/in the vehicle prior to the delivery to the client will carry the full New Vehicle Limited Warranty. If the installation is made by a Dealer after the retail sale of the vehicle, the accessory will carry the remainder of the New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty period or the limited parts warranty for two years from the date of installation, whichever is greater. Warranty repairs do not constitute an extension of the original limited warranty period for the vehicle or any parts (including accessories) thereof. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from State to State."

The installation manual (attached below) lists the extra parts required and the approximate installation time (5.5 hours)

This will hopefully allow you make a more informed decision if and when the time comes
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MP-CoiloverInstallManual.pdf (777.1 KB, 514 views)
Appreciate 1
HazChem262.00
      05-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #152
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
In what way - the price, or the performance?
Both, expensive and you can't adjust them, just awful especially how hard the ride is.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #153
sauce25
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Thanks you have any clanks (noise) in the front from the KW's?

Reason why I ask is that people reported noise from the KW's. I can see the MPE's have a rubber isolator boot on the bottom of the front spring and the KW V3's do not have this isolator. In other words the KW spring sits on the adjustment collar directly and with the MPE the spring sits on an isolator boot than the adjustment collar. That's one other thing I noticed different about the two.
Exactly why I don’t want aftermarket. I had the same issue in the past.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #154
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Both, expensive and you can't adjust them, just awful especially how hard the ride is.
You can adjust them - both bump and rebound - as well as the ride height. Or was that not what you were referring to?

Also, as they are KW V3 in a different colour, it's always possible to try different spring rates.

Separately. The price is about the same as KW V3, and hence, quite a bit cheaper than many (but not all) alternatives. At least, in many markets. Not where you are maybe?

Last edited by M Fifty; 05-17-2020 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Forgot to include the quote
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2623.00