BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

03-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

I got my midpipe installed earlier this week! I'm loving it.

I won't bother trying to write up a detailed review. I don't have any past experience with other after-market exhausts & haven't had a chance to listen to other M2C systems in person.

I'll just say that I am really glad I made this purchase. Maybe I'll pair it up with AA's muffler (or any other) some time in the future. But I'm plenty happy with just the midpipe.

I did find the burbles to have gotten way too loud and obnoxious now so I coded them out with BimmerLink. I was never a big fan of them but after getting the midpipe replaced they really just went too far for my personal taste.

Here are some clips I recorded yesterday. Nothing fancy ... just my iphone. I recorded from inside with mixture of windows down and up which I don't think I had seen/heard before.

I haven't found the cold starts to be obnoxiously loud which I think I've heard others mention. I wouldn't feel much worse starting this up at night or early morning compared to the stock setup.

I am noticing two issues though. I am not sure if it was installation error by the shop or if this is just to be expected. Would appreciate input from others.

1. At very low RPMs I'll sometimes hear a bit of a strange vibration towards the front of the car. It's a bit unpredictable and hard to make it happen on demand but happens most frequently shortly after starting the car (even warm starts). It doesn't sound pleasent so I'd be surprised this is is intentional by AA.

2. Fairly constant creaking/rattling after starting from a stop (stop sign, traffic light, etc) I think it's behind me. It sort of sounds like it is coming from inside the car but I doubt that. It's quiet enough to not be an issue if I'm playing music but I worry this one might annoy me over time. Is this worth asking the shop to address? Or is it expected for things to start creaking after doing some exhaust work?

Last edited by ESB; 03-14-2021 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 7
spree44.50
JustinHEMI7445.00
ChrisK4449.00
jdubm2c169.00
nis270r33.00
      03-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #2
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And thank you to mike@xph for the great price and great service!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:51 AM   #3
workerONE
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, GTI Stage 3

I know they recommend the non resonated version for stock dp. Did you get resonated or non resonated?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
AM///X3M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS 2023 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post

I won't bother trying to write up a detailed review. I don't have any past experience with other after-market exhausts & haven't had a chance to listen to other M2C systems in person.

I'll just say that I am really glad I made this purchase. Maybe I'll pair it up with AA's muffler (or any other) some time in the future. But I'm plenty happy with just the midpipe.

I did find the burbles to have gotten way too loud and obnoxious now so I coded them out with BimmerLink. I was never a big fan of them but after getting the midpipe replaced they really just went too far for my personal taste.

Here are some clips I recorded yesterday. Nothing fancy ... just my iphone. I recorded from inside with mixture of windows down and up which I don't think I had seen/heard before.

I haven't found the cold starts to be obnoxiously loud which I think I've heard others mention. I wouldn't feel much worse starting this up at night or early morning compared to the stock setup.

I am noticing two issues though. I am not sure if it was installation error by the shop or if this is just to be expected. Would appreciate input from others.

1. At very low RPMs I'll sometimes hear a bit of a strange vibration towards the front of the car. It's a bit unpredictable and hard to make it happen on demand but happens most frequently shortly after starting the car (even warm starts). It doesn't sound pleasent so I'd be surprised this is is intentional by AA.

2. Fairly constant creaking/rattling after starting from a stop (stop sign, traffic light, etc) I think it's behind me. It sort of sounds like it is coming from inside the car but I doubt that. It's quiet enough to not be an issue if I'm playing music but I worry this one might annoy me over time. Is this worth asking the shop to address? Or is it expected for things to start creaking after doing some exhaust work?

I had the same problem. The midpipe was touching the F brace. Check that. I simply put washers and longer bolts to lower it.
      03-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Exactly the same as me, EL midpipe, otherwise stock, burbles disabled = PERFECTION to my ears!
      03-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerONE View Post
I know they recommend the non resonated version for stock dp. Did you get resonated or non resonated?
Non-resonated
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM319///M2C View Post
Quote:

I had the same problem. The midpipe was touching the F brace. Check that. I simply put washers and longer bolts to lower it.
I'll look into that, thanks. For both issues or just the first one?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
And thank you to mike@xph for the great price and great service!
My pleasure

Double-check the install and make sure the midpipe is not touching any other car component. We had the same issue when we installed the EL midpipes on the shop's car. Once the fitment was adjusted, the rattle was gone.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #9
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I agree with this sentiment. With burbles it's too loud. No burbles is perfect.

Also tbh, cold start still sounds terrible to me. I have stock everything else and I still hate cold starts.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post

Also tbh, cold start still sounds terrible to me. I have stock everything else and I still hate cold starts.
Try coding valves open. I love it.
      03-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
Apex Hitter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

That sounds really nice and exactly how it should have come from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Hitter View Post
That sounds really nice and exactly how it should have come from the factory.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Quote:

Try coding valves open. I love it.
Haha I have an exhaust flap controller and cold start is too loud with exhaust flap open. It also doesn't sound good either IMO.

I just keep it closed until engine is warmed and then flap open.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7445.00
      03-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #14
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Haha I have an exhaust flap controller and cold start is too loud with exhaust flap open. It also doesn't sound good either IMO.

I just keep it closed until engine is warmed and then flap open.
I'll have to try coding the flaps to normal and try it. I've had my flaps coded open since new so I don't actually know what this midpipe sounds like with them closed.
      03-10-2021, 05:41 AM   #15
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Quote:

100% its touching some brackets next to the pipes. I had the same issue and had to bend one of my brackets slightly
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #16
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Would you be able to upload more? This sounds so good snd love the no burbles.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #17
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Any chance you can put the burbles back and get some clips? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #18
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Any chance you can put the burbles back and get some clips? Thanks!
I think this video does a good job of showing that:
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      03-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #19
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Would you be able to upload more? This sounds so good snd love the no burbles.
Haha what else do you want to see/hear?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #20
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Cold start with higher revs in closed/open valves? More drive bys from the outside?

This is asking a lot but if you ever are that bored I'm sure people would appreciate it. Enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:31 PM   #21
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Quote:
Cold start with higher revs in closed/open valves? More drive bys from the outside?

This is asking a lot but if you ever are that bored I'm sure people would appreciate it. Enjoy it
Here's a clip of shifting close to redline til 80ish mph

I did a few drivebys but ran out of battery and the video ended early. Bummer.

I'll grab a cold start in next couple days. Spoiler alert: it doesn't sound good.
Appreciate 3
      03-18-2021, 12:01 AM   #22
CPT Smuggs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87

Thank you for the videos ESB.

For those with the AA EL midpipe, the internet videos make the car sound amazing from the outside, but it makes the inside sound "duller" unless you're stepping on it. Is there any truth to that statement?

I like the low growls and other noises stock provides while driving around town under 3k. (above 3k sounds great to me as well, but too quiet) Looking for something about 20% louder without going over the top with the burbles, or eliminating them altogether. Basically trying to get a more aggressive sound without entering the JDM or muscle market.