BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bad News for the Tuning Community?

04-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #529
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2compcharlie View Post
It's turns them off permanently, you have to turn them back on. So annoying the exhaust valves don't follow a similar permanent pattern.
Yea, exhaust valves would have to be in the tune.

The reason why you're able to do it is because Bimmerlink/Bimmercode takes advantage of the test routine built into the diagnostics to open the exhaust flaps. Those reset with power cycle.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #530
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Indeed, which is why I'm thinking of either cloning the ECU or going down the piggyback route (reluctantly). Or… I just hold out and see how the G87 M2 does and consider moving to that.
Allow me to use my crystal ball.. the reviews are in:
- omg so fast, so much power, quicker than BMW says
- massive weight gain +250lb at least "but you can't tell" and "it really hides it's weight"
- the steering is kind of vague but it's ok
- it's AWD but something about the car needing it because it's quick now
- wow you can make the car RWD only!
- options really add up, it's expensive
- "no turbo lag!" Even though there is turbo lag because physics.
      04-19-2022, 07:53 PM   #531
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
- massive weight gain +250lb at least "but you can't tell" and "it really hides it's weight"
Many of the same things were said when the 1M became the M2. What's your point?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:44 PM   #532
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Many of the same things were said when the 1M became the M2. What's your point?
I mean, it won't be disappointing unless you just don't want a modern M car. It's going to be stupidly fast, but much heaver, but it might not matter, but it's not like the old cars, etc. Right now if I'm "wait and seeing" about potentially a G87, I'd just slap my deposit down now and absolutely not tune or mod whatsoever. The reverse of that sucks--now you're parting out or getting the ECU flagged on flash counter before the sale.
      04-19-2022, 11:21 PM   #533
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I mean, it won't be disappointing unless you just don't want a modern M car. It's going to be stupidly fast, but much heaver, but it might not matter, but it's not like the old cars, etc. Right now if I'm "wait and seeing" about potentially a G87, I'd just slap my deposit down now and absolutely not tune or mod whatsoever. The reverse of that sucks--now you're parting out or getting the ECU flagged on flash counter before the sale.
So are you going to stop buying any new cars? I’m not sure what your point is either?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #534
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
So are you going to stop buying any new cars? I’m not sure what your point is either?
No I'm saying if I were currently on the fence about whether to add to my flash counter and mod my car because I might be ordering up a new M2, I'm saying the M2 will be predictably good with the typical gripes so there are no real surprises about it. The likelihood that reviews will be negative or vastly different from what we learned of the G8x cars is near zero. Personally I will probably go to one myself after it an LCI.

Tuning will at worst void warranty, and at best, frustrate a sale and harm resale. Hence what I mean when I say OP can safely bet the new M2 will be a known quantity thus keep his car stock. This is compounded by the fact that the topic of this thread will likely never be resolved. A remote flash tune is not going to come to these cars.
      04-20-2022, 10:20 PM   #535
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
No I'm saying if I were currently on the fence about whether to add to my flash counter and mod my car because I might be ordering up a new M2, I'm saying the M2 will be predictably good with the typical gripes so there are no real surprises about it. The likelihood that reviews will be negative or vastly different from what we learned of the G8x cars is near zero. Personally I will probably go to one myself after it an LCI.

Tuning will at worst void warranty, and at best, frustrate a sale and harm resale. Hence what I mean when I say OP can safely bet the new M2 will be a known quantity thus keep his car stock. This is compounded by the fact that the topic of this thread will likely never be resolved. A remote flash tune is not going to come to these cars.
Now that actually makes sense!! Thanks for the explanation.

I may get a G87. It would be the last in a line of M cars I have had. I want to like it so bad!! Still waiting. Last full ICE manual.

That has NOT deterred me from tuning my F87. I was lucky to have a pre 6/20 DME so I did a CarBahn stage 1. It came with a matching 2y warranty and at the time I had about that left on my OEM. Reasoning was if BW flagged it and would not cover the work while under their warranty then CarBahn would be on the hook.

I had to to fix the BMW crap detuning. It is what it should be now. No flat spot after 5,200rpm’s.

I think it will still matter when I go to sell but not in a BMW warrenty sense since that part will be over.

14 months in and no issue with it!
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      04-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #536
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed, which is why I'm thinking of either cloning the ECU or going down the piggyback route (reluctantly). Or… I just hold out and see how the G87 M2 does and consider moving to that.
Pretty close but it's not AWD, so instead they'll ask "would it be better if it was AWD!?!?"
Appreciate 1
stefan2354.00
      04-24-2022, 02:03 PM   #537
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
Quote:

Now that actually makes sense!! Thanks for the explanation.

I may get a G87. It would be the last in a line of M cars I have had. I want to like it so bad!! Still waiting. Last full ICE manual.

That has NOT deterred me from tuning my F87. I was lucky to have a pre 6/20 DME so I did a CarBahn stage 1. It came with a matching 2y warranty and at the time I had about that left on my OEM. Reasoning was if BW flagged it and would not cover the work while under their warranty then CarBahn would be on the hook.

I had to to fix the BMW crap detuning. It is what it should be now. No flat spot after 5,200rpm’s.

I think it will still matter when I go to sell but not in a BMW warrenty sense since that part will be over.

14 months in and no issue with it!
I'm not sure a tune is going to hurt resale on an m2 with some miles on it. If I were to decide to trade from my 2017 m2 to an m2c I would only consider m2c vehicles that could be tuned. If it is tuned it's saving me the hassle of checking the ECU date and doing a bench unlock.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:26 PM   #538
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I'm not sure a tune is going to hurt resale on an m2 with some miles on it. If I were to decide to trade from my 2017 m2 to an m2c I would only consider m2c vehicles that could be tuned. If it is tuned it's saving me the hassle of checking the ECU date and doing a bench unlock.
I think for us that is probably true but at least in my experience, the buyers of my M cars were all very interested in whether the car was tuned. Most of them took it to the dealer to check flash counter and boost parameters. YMMV obviously.
      04-29-2022, 01:18 AM   #539
ozmartini
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

So have we pretty much concluded that, given how much time has passed, no one's going to crack this ECU? Is a an ECU swap the only "solution"?

Gonna need new tires soon and was thinking of going 255/275 just in case I tune the car but the longer I wait the more it looks like that's not gonna happen... >.<
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #540
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmartini View Post
So have we pretty much concluded that, given how much time has passed, no one's going to crack this ECU? Is a an ECU swap the only "solution"?

Gonna need new tires soon and was thinking of going 255/275 just in case I tune the car but the longer I wait the more it looks like that's not gonna happen... >.<
it can be bench unlocked by a shop. we just can't do it like bootmod
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #541
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM2See View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmartini View Post

it can be bench unlocked by a shop. we just can't do it like bootmod
Incorrect. The newer 06/2020 onwards DMEs cannot be bench unlocked, at all, even by Femto (they've only managed to hack the S58/B58 DME, and even that is a limited unlock. The only solution for our later S55 DME is piggyback or ECU clone/flash.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
stefan2354.00
      05-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #542
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Incorrect. The newer 06/2020 onwards DMEs cannot be bench unlocked, at all, even by Femto (they've only managed to hack the S58/B58 DME, and even that is a limited unlock. The only solution for our later S55 DME is piggyback or ECU clone/flash.
Correct and given the unique DME model from 06/2020 to end of 2021 affecting basically just very limited M2C, M4, and Supra--like a handful of cars--I am saying it now that we will never see a remote flash tune solution.
imOFP210.50
M2_MEDUSA664.00
      05-05-2022, 02:54 AM   #543
myXero
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 / G31 / F21

Best way to do this is to plug in a DME befor 06/2020, we've done several times this year with a full compatible coding. M2 CS, M2C....

After the DME Change you can also use MHD / Bootmod3 / Flash with Autotuner or other tools. Fit's well
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:14 AM   #544
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myXero View Post
Best way to do this is to plug in a DME befor 06/2020, we've done several times this year with a full compatible coding. M2 CS, M2C....

After the DME Change you can also use MHD / Bootmod3 / Flash with Autotuner or other tools. Fit's well
I'd love to do this, but I can't find anyone in the UK that's happy to take on the task :
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #545
myXero
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to do this, but I can't find anyone in the UK that's happy to take on the task :
I've you are interested just let me know. We can do this trough shipment to germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:41 PM   #546
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Quote:
Correct and given the unique DME model from 06/2020 to end of 2021 affecting basically just very limited M2C, M4, and Supra--like a handful of cars--I am saying it now that we will never see a remote flash tune solution.
I agree. Everyone waiting for a flash tune solution for 06/2020+ S55 should just stop waiting. You will never ever see a solution for this. Your only option is a cloned DME or piggyback.
      05-17-2022, 08:29 AM   #547
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Waiting for a M2C I purchased from Germany to arrive to my country, Andorra. I selected the car before knowing the 06/2020+ tuning issue, and the car was manufactured in 08/2020. Now I just can hope that the ECU is at least two months older...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:58 AM   #548
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanLluch View Post
Waiting for a M2C I purchased from Germany to arrive to my country, Andorra. I selected the car before knowing the 06/2020+ tuning issue, and the car was manufactured in 08/2020. Now I just can hope that the ECU is at least two months older...
Having a flash tune is worth the wait!! feels like stock with just just more of everything and very smooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 02:13 PM   #549
myXero
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanLluch View Post
If not just let me know, we can change the ECU to an older one
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 05:26 AM   #550
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

As an FYI for anyone following this thread. I spoke to Femtoevo and despite the talk of them being able to unlock these locked DMEs (06/2020+), they cannot unlock the one in the M2C (MEVD17.2.G). They are only able to unlock the newer DMEs in the S58/B58. So, no one has unlocked these yet.

The only solutions:

1. DME clone/swap to older DME.
2. Piggyback.

I honestly wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an unlock as it seems no one is investing into these specific DMEs as the install base is comparatively tiny.

I've bitten the bullet and looking to get a cloned DME.
Appreciate 0