BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Gearbox aggressive shifts too much!

12-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
Tim_Wills
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Gearbox aggressive shifts too much!

Anyone else's gearbox slam into the next gear? I lose traction overtime at full throttle. I thought this was down to wet weather but it happens in dry now too. It's almost as if there's a drive logic button and it's at level 6!
N55 OG
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:28 AM   #2
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Wills View Post
Anyone else's gearbox slam into the next gear? I lose traction overtime at full throttle. I thought this was down to wet weather but it happens in dry now too. It's almost as if there's a drive logic button and it's at level 6!
N55 OG
I found this also with my 2018 dct. Comfort and sport modes weren't too bad, but sport plus was ridiculously harsh shifting gears.

I decided to purchase the Thor dct tune, and their gts software is much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post
I found this also with my 2018 dct. Comfort and sport modes weren't too bad, but sport plus was ridiculously harsh shifting gears.

Interesting observation. My experience is Sport mode tends to slam the upshifts harder than Sport plus for some reason. That's not what the handbook suggests but seems to be what happens in my car at least.

I rarely drive in either mode these days. I prefer "traction" mode for the less aggressive/more linear throttle and almost always manually change with the paddle shifters. It doesn't upset the car balance so much. If you are pushing hard on corner exit and the jump from second to third is too harsh, it unsettles the rear end.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I remember this on the test drive - which is why I bought the 6MT.

Using the paddles, Sport was quick and smooth, Comfort waited a second or so before shifting the same, Sport plus was no quicker than Sport, but dispensed with any attempt at making smooth shifts.

It felt like someone from marketing signed off on it, rather than anyone from engineering...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #5
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
In the M2, I found Sport+ too harsh for everyday to work driving and never used it after the first few times.

In the M2C, I now understand the initial complaints of the missing M buttons on the M2.

As for losing traction in dry it's probably b/c you're tires are worn. They don't last very long
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post

Interesting observation. My experience is Sport mode tends to slam the upshifts harder than Sport plus for some reason. That's not what the handbook suggests but seems to be what happens in my car at least.

I rarely drive in either mode these days. I prefer "traction" mode for the less aggressive/more linear throttle and almost always manually change with the paddle shifters. It doesn't upset the car balance so much. If you are pushing hard on corner exit and the jump from second to third is too harsh, it unsettles the rear end.
If you're pushing hard around corners I wouldn't want the car to be shifting mid corner lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Wills View Post
N55 OG
Look for the thread that describes the drive modes.

Comfort is softest/efficient mode
Sport is "performance mode"
Sport+ is "test drive mode" (Make the car feel like a racecar so that people buy it)

The MDM mode & DSC off mode both set the shift speed to "sport/L2" vs the hyper aggressiveness of "Sport+/L3". Probably for longevity and stability. Honestly Sport+ is pretty useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

THOR or XHP fixes this, and makes the DCT much more enjoyable plus faster shifting.

Give one or the other a shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:20 AM   #9
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

Seconded, get Thor m flasher and try all the maps to find your goldilocks setting.
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #10
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

I like the harsh shifts.
Appreciate 0