BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Shipping Thoughts

12-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
nzafi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X2

Shipping Thoughts

So my M2C is now on its way to the dealership and then will get shipped to me. I have instructed the dealer to do enclosed shipping. They are asking me if I wan the plastic removed and the car detailed, or to leave the plastic on.

I am sitting in NJ where it is freezing and am thinking to just get the car detailed at the dealership before it is shipped. Is that a bad idea? If the car was not enclosed then I would definitely leave the plastic on.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Enclosed shipping should be fine to get detailed before. That way you have a nice shiny car roll off the truck. Unless you are going to get ppf etc done anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I'm literally expecting my M2C to roll up on the truck in the next hour. I asked my dealer to leave all the plastic protective film on the hood/roof/trunk since it's not enclosed shipping (similar to how cars get from the port to the dealer anyways). He was happy to do it, he just made sure to let me know that means they aren't detailing the outside and the car will be dirty on the outside when it gets to me .
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
Fabulowso
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C (and 964)

Good luck with transport!! Personally, I’d probably leave the plastics on during transport, too many unknowns and no one will realistically treat your car the way you will. You can always revert to a basic detail when it arrives, or full out correction and PPF if you will be going that route. A prep detail shouldn’t be an extreme cost, few hundred bucks i would think for your basic buff / polish / wash.

Where in NJ are you located, curiously? Which dealer did you order from if you don’t mind sharing. I’m going to be ordering one soon as well, and located in NJ too.

Good luck once again!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
nzafi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulowso View Post
Good luck with transport!! Personally, I’d probably leave the plastics on during transport, too many unknowns and no one will realistically treat your car the way you will. You can always revert to a basic detail when it arrives, or full out correction and PPF if you will be going that route. A prep detail shouldn’t be an extreme cost, few hundred bucks i would think for your basic buff / polish / wash.

Where in NJ are you located, curiously? Which dealer did you order from if you don’t mind sharing. I’m going to be ordering one soon as well, and located in NJ too.

Good luck once again!!
I’m in Livingston. I have 3 dealerships near me but they clearly were not willing to negotiate. They refused to let me test drive unless I was willing to purchase same day and they didn’t really want to discuss allocations to build, instead were focused on selling the cars on the lot that did not have the configuration I wanted. I ended up using a dealership out of state. You can message me for details. Where in NJ are you?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
f87kevin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
I never trust a dealership to detail my cars.
📍Bellingham, WA 🏔🌲
📸 @f87kevin
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
I literally took delivery of mine 2 hours ago. I told the dealer to leave all the transport protection on the car. I did this for two reasons. One, I intend to get PPF installed right away. Two, I had read horror stories about cars riding on the bottom getting dripped on from cars above in the transporter. I figured the plastic would at least offer some paint protection from drips.

I was super thrilled about the transporter I used. DC Auto Transport, LLC. They use new enclosed rigs with liftgate. The upper deck has a real bottom which would prevent fluids from leaking down to the lower deck.
The driver was super thorough when he picked up the car and noticed a white glue spot underneath the drivers door no bigger than a pinhead. Not only is this outfit run by professionals that treat the cars they transport with kid gloves they were also super cheap.

I had the car transported 2590 miles and only paid $1700. That is a mere 66 cents a mile! I had requested quotes from the reputable transporters mentioned on this board (Reliable Carriers, Horseless Carriage, InterCity etc.) and most either didn't want the business at all or quoted beyond $3k. I was thrilled to see that my car rode the entire trip on the upper deck in the front. Mileage was identical to when it left the dealership. Car went onto the liftgate and the trailer and back out at delivery. Car arrived in the same condition that it left in. They tied the car down correctly as well using only the wheels. Super happy I went this route.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 2
ADDONE230.00
bmwdrive461.00
      12-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
I literally took delivery of mine 2 hours ago. I told the dealer to leave all the transport protection on the car. I did this for two reasons. One, I intend to get PPF installed right away. Two, I had read horror stories about cars riding on the bottom getting dripped on from cars above in the transporter. I figured the plastic would at least offer some paint protection from drips.

I was super thrilled about the transporter I used. DC Auto Transport, LLC. They use new enclosed rigs with liftgate. The upper deck has a real bottom which would prevent fluids from leaking down to the lower deck.
The driver was super thorough when he picked up the car and noticed a white glue spot underneath the drivers door no bigger than a pinhead. Not only is this outfit run by professionals that treat the cars they transport with kid gloves they were also super cheap.

I had the car transported 2590 miles and only paid $1700. That is a mere 66 cents a mile! I had requested quotes from the reputable transporters mentioned on this board (Reliable Carriers, Horseless Carriage, InterCity etc.) and most either didn't want the business at all or quoted beyond $3k. I was thrilled to see that my car rode the entire trip on the upper deck in the front. Mileage was identical to when it left the dealership. Car went onto the liftgate and the trailer and back out at delivery. Car arrived in the same condition that it left in. They tied the car down correctly as well using only the wheels. Super happy I went this route.

That’s an absolute bargain. Guess I shoulda bought from dealer willing to deal and ship... but didn’t enjoy my last experience. If it wasn’t covid woulda made a nice road trip. Did open “upper deck“ shipping on my s2000 for 1700$ from az to nyc. Think reliable carriers. Mostly smooth until the local delivery guys drove the car to me with an absolutely empty tank (gas stations are far and few in my part of Brooklyn) and then tried to deny receiving my 500$ payment on delivery. They played games with the delivery paperwork to indicate no payment to the shipping broker.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post
That’s an absolute bargain. Guess I shoulda bought from dealer willing to deal and ship... but didn’t enjoy my last experience. If it wasn’t covid woulda made a nice road trip. Did open “upper deck“ shipping on my s2000 for 1700$ from az to nyc. Think reliable carriers. Mostly smooth until the local delivery guys drove the car to me with an absolutely empty tank (gas stations are far and few in my part of Brooklyn) and then tried to deny receiving my 500$ payment on delivery. They played games with the delivery paperwork to indicate no payment to the shipping broker.
Man that sucks. I gotta tell ya I was a little nervous as the shipper wanted cash on delivery and the only paperwork I had was from my dealer indicating the condition my car was in at pickup. Nowhere did it say anything about price. I only had one text message from my dealer with the cost. Part of me was worried for driver 'delivery tax' on the other end. As it turns out all my worries were unfounded and I had a great experience.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00