BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Too old for an M2C ?

01-12-2021, 07:08 PM   #287
RARZED4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MerlinTiCx

I'm 64, and can't get enough of this car!
GERMAN M34181.00
CFO277.00
naitoon28.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      01-12-2021, 11:02 PM   #288
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone;
I'm 57 and mine will arrive in 3 weeks! Cant wait. I too have a Tesla in the garage and to me they are perfect compliments to each other. Each serves a different purpose. But if you love machines, you can't help but marvel at both
Which one stays in the garage? The Tesla or the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #289
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Picking up a M2C MT Saturday and I’m 55. Looking forward to joining the ranks.

Here she is next to our 228i. Super glad we went this route.
Attached Images

Last edited by aftercorbu; 01-16-2021 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Added pics
Appreciate 2
CFO277.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      01-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #290
Wolfblass
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I don't like to think I'm old, but I am almost 50 with a family so I'm not a teenager either. I have a perfect family car in a Tesla Model S. It's great at everything, except that it's kind of a big boring family sedan. This is definitely a first world problem, but now that the Tesla tech amazingness has worn off, I just drive it around like a minivan. Whenever I hear Elon Musk talk about the next advance in self driving, rather than being appropriately excited, I think.. oh great, so we will make driving even more boring.

I test drove a M2C about a year ago and my reaction was.. "it's alive!" I loved it. But at "my age" I'm debating if an M3/M4 is more appropriate. Or even a 911, although I'm loathe to spend that kind of money on a car. Is the M2C more of a car for 20 year olds or 30 year olds? This sounds like a stupid question in my head even as I type it. But it's a thing. You know, I shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans at some point either (not that they fit me, but you know what I mean).
Agree with the reply’s, doesn’t matter how old you are. Buy whatever puts a smile on your face, life is too short! I’m 52 and just bought a new 2020 M2 competition in hockenheim silver. Pick it up in two weeks and can’t wait. Coming out of an Audi A3 etron hatch, night and day upgrade.
Appreciate 3
CFO277.00
bmwdrive461.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      01-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #291
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I'm 63 and DD a Golf R. I now have a chubby for the M2C and am seriously considering ditching the Golf R (which I absolutely love) and parking an M2C in the garage next to my Z4MC. Age? Completely irrelevant IMHO.
bmwdrive461.00
Rob495143.50
      01-24-2021, 02:40 AM   #292
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone;
I'm 57 and mine will arrive in 3 weeks! Cant wait. I too have a Tesla in the garage and to me they are perfect compliments to each other. Each serves a different purpose. But if you love machines, you can't help but marvel at both
Which one stays in the garage? The Tesla or the M2C?
Fortunately we have a 2 bay garage!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:26 AM   #293
50Lombardy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 C

I may have qualified as a little silly at 61 when I bought my silver one. But I cleared that up by buying a Guards Red 1990 944 Turbo last year when I turned 63. Now the M2C looks like my estate car!
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive461.00
      01-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #294
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

Bought mine late 2019 at 51 yrs old / HS manual. Stock the car was great and personalized it a bit with mPE exhaust + performance flash Dinan tune And m performance coilovers+ 763 m wheels. Which all combined takes it up a few notches for the overall feel etc. Also crazy how much attention this car gets especially from younger guys which says a lot of how appealing this car across such a broad age group..
Appreciate 2
bmwdrive461.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      01-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #295
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

I'm bordering 67, and considering ordering mine this week. Has anyone here come out of an X3M and, if so, any comments on the performance differences in the two cars?
Appreciate 1
naitoon28.50
      01-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #296
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

I have only test driven both (not owned them) so I can't say too much. My feeling was that the X3M is more powerful. But it's also way bigger and heavier obviously. I liked it a lot and to be honest it would be a smarter choice for me given the practicality for the family and dog.

The M2C on the other hand is so nimble and fun. The only reason I have it on order is that I feel it may be the last of a real old school M.
Appreciate 2
DAC17170.50
m20e30871147.00
      01-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #297
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
I'm bordering 67, and considering ordering mine this week. Has anyone here come out of an X3M and, if so, any comments on the performance differences in the two cars?
I currently own (lease) both. The M2C has better low end torque. It has sufficient torque by high teens and comes on strong by 2500. The X3M seems to have nothing until mid 2s and kicks you hard crossing 3000 RPM. I'd guess the X3M with AWD will outrun the M2C but you'll have more fun running thru the gears in the M2C.

The X3M is very fun and engaging for an SUV but the M2C is noticeably more raw and fun to drive with a sharper turn in. When pushed hard in sport + or MDM mode, its definitely tail happy so be aware of that. Whereas the X3M xDrive keeps it fairly neutral, although I've yet to really explore its on limit handling. You'll obviously miss the X3M utility but the M2C has a decent sized trunk. I've loaded it up and done 300 mile trips in it. Not too bad but louder and stiffer riding than even the X3M.

It's a great combo to own both. Which one by itself depends on your needs and wants.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52721.00
DAC17170.50
      01-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #298
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
I've considered the X3M. After my SO bought the 530e and we came to realize that, because of the battery, we didn't have a single car that could actually take a decent-sized box into the trunk (because of the size of the opening not the actual interior space of either one with seats down), and a few other things about modern driving that annoys me (no one trims bushes down for visibility anymore and feeling boxed in by all the SUV's every moment I'm on the road, so many high-up headlights), I actually considered trading in my M2C.

I've driven the X3M once, and the X3MC twice. I've also test-driven the M40i version a couple of times over the years. I like the vehicles enough, but never stepped out of the thing feeling like I'd driven a performance car. Watching the speedo, it was obviously fast, but I got almost nothing visceral out of driving it. Part of it is the ZF8. Going DCT instead of MT takes away driver involvement, we all know that, but it leaves a bit of theater intact that the ZF8 does not. I spent years with the ZF8 on two cars, and the "M" version of it doesn't help enough. With the transmission out of the engagement loop, you're left with engine and suspension.

The S58 in the X3M's is really impressive...once you get going. The low-end feels no different than the B58 (which isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't feel very M). I left feeling that the engine would only be what I want it to be at ticket-level speeds. I REALLY want to know if the S58 will feel the same in the M3 and 4.

The suspension was stiff enough that I was flat out wondering what the point was. It wasn't stiffer than my M2C but it didn't seem to react as consistently and I WAS bouncing in my seat more. Without transmission engagement and legal-speeds fun, the stiff suspension wasn't worth it.

In the end, if at some point I get pushed further into buying an X, I would end up with the X3 M40i. It's a REALLY good vehicle for the price, and there's nothing about it that makes you wonder what the point is.
Appreciate 3
DAC17170.50
BigKutta3901.00
CSBM52721.00
      01-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #299
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I've considered the X3M. After my SO bought the 530e and we came to realize that, because of the battery, we didn't have a single car that could actually take a decent-sized box into the trunk (because of the size of the opening not the actual interior space of either one with seats down), and a few other things about modern driving that annoys me (no one trims bushes down for visibility anymore and feeling boxed in by all the SUV's every moment I'm on the road, so many high-up headlights), I actually considered trading in my M2C.

I've driven the X3M once, and the X3MC twice. I've also test-driven the M40i version a couple of times over the years. I like the vehicles enough, but never stepped out of the thing feeling like I'd driven a performance car. Watching the speedo, it was obviously fast, but I got almost nothing visceral out of driving it. Part of it is the ZF8. Going DCT instead of MT takes away driver involvement, we all know that, but it leaves a bit of theater intact that the ZF8 does not. I spent years with the ZF8 on two cars, and the "M" version of it doesn't help enough. With the transmission out of the engagement loop, you're left with engine and suspension.

The S58 in the X3M's is really impressive...once you get going. The low-end feels no different than the B58 (which isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't feel very M). I left feeling that the engine would only be what I want it to be at ticket-level speeds. I REALLY want to know if the S58 will feel the same in the M3 and 4.

The suspension was stiff enough that I was flat out wondering what the point was. It wasn't stiffer than my M2C but it didn't seem to react as consistently and I WAS bouncing in my seat more. Without transmission engagement and legal-speeds fun, the stiff suspension wasn't worth it.

In the end, if at some point I get pushed further into buying an X, I would end up with the X3 M40i. It's a REALLY good vehicle for the price, and there's nothing about it that makes you wonder what the point is.
Great write-up and exactly how I feel as well. Plus the X3M doesn't "look" like an M.
      01-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #300
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Quote:

Very well-said. I have concluded that what I really miss is the manual. You’re right that many cars today are fun only at illegal speeds (WAY illegal!). And the driving “feeling” has become very digitized. The old adage about a “driving a slow car fast” still applies. Except today, the slow cars really aren’t! Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #301
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

So many good points made here about various things that I dont know where to begin.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #302
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

All good points. The M40i just didn't feel engaging enough or "special" enough for me. The X3M does, even when running errands. Not in the sports car sense but in the overall sense. Plus I'm satisfied knowing its capabilities even when not using them all the time. And I got a great deal on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #303
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
All good points. The M40i just didn't feel engaging enough or "special" enough for me. The X3M does, even when running errands. Not in the sports car sense but in the overall sense. Plus I'm satisfied knowing its capabilities even when not using them all the time. And I got a great deal on it.
I agree on the M40i. It doesn't feel that special, but it is a very good smaller SUV, and hard to argue with at its price point (yes, it is expensive, but so is everything that comes close to matching it's overall qualities). I wouldn't expect it to feel terribly special, anymore than my 340i did. Also not discounting that even with 3 test drives, it's possible that the X3M requires TIME to appreciate. I certainly feel like it was about six months before my M2C and I were truly in sync.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #304
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting an X3M if you need/want an SUV, it's cheaper than the Lambo 😂. However the driving engagement is nothing like an M2C IMHO. I drove one at a BMW track event, fast it was, engaging it wasn't. I also drove the Z4 M40i. It was fast and the shorter wheelbase was fun but the suspension was not what I'd hoped for. Bring on the real Z4M!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #305
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting an X3M if you need/want an SUV, it's cheaper than the Lambo 😂. However the driving engagement is nothing like an M2C IMHO. I drove one at a BMW track event, fast it was, engaging it wasn't. I also drove the Z4 M40i. It was fast and the shorter wheelbase was fun but the suspension was not what I'd hoped for. Bring on the real Z4M!
Would you say the same thing if you compared the X3M to a DCT M2C?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #306
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I concur the M2C is definitely more engaging and playful, especially if a 6MT.
Plus the RWD allows one to easily kick out the back end. I've yet to truly explore the capabilities of 4WD Sport and have only had a brief track experience with an X4M. But I'm now learning the settings and throttle/RPM ranges to have fun on the street and twisty roads with it. Another meaning of "special" is the unique sport seats and subtle trim and feature upgrades compared to the M40i. And yes the X3 M40i is high 60s (comparatively equipped), my X3M was high 70s, comp models are 80s and some of the competition crosses $100k. Therefore it (and the M40i) are relative values.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #307
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Would you say the same thing if you compared the X3M to a DCT M2C?
I think that a DCT would be a step in the right direction. My opinion is that when you ride that high up in a 4wd vehicle there is only so much you can do to make it feel sporty in the twisties. Horsepower is their main tool and it does have power.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #308
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that a DCT would be a step in the right direction. My opinion is that when you ride that high up in a 4wd vehicle there is only so much you can do to make it feel sporty in the twisties. Horsepower is their main tool and it does have power.
In my mind its more what you are used to versus the vehicle capabilities. When I went from an X5 to a base X3, the X3 felt lower and more nimble. Going from a M550i to the X3M, it felt tall and awkward. But after 3 months it feels normal and the M2C feels like a low to the ground sports car.
But when pushed, the X3M holds its own, stays flat, neutral and composed, and gets the job done. Whereas the X5M/X6M always feel like big brutes that you have to manhandle to drive hard. In the end, they're all mind blowing capable.
Appreciate 0