BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Will installing the oil cooler guard void the warranty?

07-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Will installing the oil cooler guard void the warranty?

Just curious on your guys' experience with BMW.

Would adding an oil cooler guard void your manufacturer warranty in case anything goes wrong. Could they say that it caused the oil to overheat and the engine wasn't running at expected operating temps?

There's also the fact that you have to cut into the trim a bit to install the guard...but I'm guessing they dont care about that?

Thanks as always
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

If this voids you're warranty, BMW is purposely looking for an excuse to screw you. I cannot see how they would possibly use that as an excuse or if it is even realistic. People modify their front ends with lips and spoilers and diffusers which often times replaces the trim pieces down there and I've never heard anyone getting denied because of that.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Yeah I can't imagine any problems and certainly wouldn't accept any if something came up. The end of the day, it's simply a guard and doesn't effect anything mechanically.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

I think it would help the warranty, and save BMW some expensive repairs. BMW should send you a "thank you" and some "cash" for fixing the problem!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

The only remotely related thing they could blame it on would be an oil temp issue.

No one will even notice it or bother flagging it. If your oil cooler leaks by itself just take it off before you bring the car in.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
bobby.is.rad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, SpecE46 Racecar

Are you having issues with oil temps? I thought the cooling system was pretty beefy on this engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad View Post
Are you having issues with oil temps? I thought the cooling system was pretty beefy on this engine.
Cooling system is beefy, that's why the cooler is vulnerable, no other place to put it.

Guard supposedly protects from puncturing projectiles but I question efficacy with respect to small stones at speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I added a steel grate for extra protection and oil temps have not increased.
Attached Images

Last edited by Saintjah; 08-01-2019 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2019, 01:55 AM   #9
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

That looks solid I will likely add a steel grate as well before I install it.

Instructions say 2-3 hours, seems excessive unless I'm missing something?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:58 AM   #10
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
This looks like wearing metal trousers in case you damage the boys when climbing a fence.
I am not sure how healthy it is. You have to let 'em breathe.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
BigKutta3896.50
      08-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
bobby.is.rad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, SpecE46 Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
Cooling system is beefy, that's why the cooler is vulnerable, no other place to put it.

Guard supposedly protects from puncturing projectiles but I question efficacy with respect to small stones at speed.
Oh sorry, reading comprehension is important. I completely misread the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
This looks like wearing metal trousers in case you damage the boys when climbing a fence.
I am not sure how healthy it is. You have to let 'em breathe.
You Aussies certainly have a way with words.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      01-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #12
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP 6MT, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
I added a steel grate for extra protection and oil temps have not increased.
Bringing back an old thread... is there a DIY somewhere for the mesh insert?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #13
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Me too...is there a DYI thread or a vendor that we could purchase the kit?
      01-20-2021, 11:05 PM   #14
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Here a solution....why not keep eyes on the road for road hazards and road obstructions. Cheapest modification. jk.

I do believe the plastic shroud was an afterthought by BMW. I see lots of discussion on options. Absolutely would fight it if they denied replacement under warranty. In using a mesh guard with either Fallline or a TMS skid plates, I would take temperature readings under different driving conditions to ensure OEM range is maintained. Even a slight increase beyond the range can create cooling inefficiencies which over long term use may lead to issues.

Question to ask is why aftermarket options don't have the mesh shield. Maybe because they tested it in their development or know something we don't. Quite honestly driving over or hitting a small hard object is going to destroy the cooler regardless of what type of mesh Is installed. Having said this, it offers some peace of mind knowing you have stronger material in place to protect the cooler for smaller rocks and road debris.
      01-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #15
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider86 View Post
Bringing back an old thread... is there a DIY somewhere for the mesh insert?
I agree with GarageMadness in that I doubt the mesh is really necessary for the oil cooler. I got the Turner Motorsports oil cooler guard while I was installing mesh for all the radiator openings in the bumper. The radiators took a lot of hits from rocks and bugs but the oil cooler is in perfect shape. But I wouldn't fault anyone for adding extra protection as long as it doesn't affect air flow for cooling...

For a DIY, all you have to do is remove the bumper and you have easy access to the oil cooler guard. After that it is only a few 8mm (?) bolts. There are plenty of videos for removing the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #16
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
I agree with GarageMadness in that I doubt the mesh is really necessary for the oil cooler. I got the Turner Motorsports oil cooler guard while I was installing mesh for all the radiator openings in the bumper. The radiators took a lot of hits from rocks and bugs but the oil cooler is in perfect shape. But I wouldn't fault anyone for adding extra protection as long as it doesn't affect air flow for cooling...

For a DIY, all you have to do is remove the bumper and you have easy access to the oil cooler guard. After that it is only a few 8mm (?) bolts. There are plenty of videos for removing the bumper.
Is completely removing the front bumper necessary to install one of these aftermarket oil cooler shields? I would've thought you could get away with just unbuttoning a few of the clips on the underside of the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Is completely removing the front bumper necessary to install one of these aftermarket oil cooler shields? I would've thought you could get away with just unbuttoning a few of the clips on the underside of the bumper?
I won't say it is 100% necessary but you need to remove all the bolts on the underside of the bumper and I would recommend loosening the 3 bolts per side that attach to the fender so the bumper can move around a bit. And that involves removing the fender liners. At that point there are only 6 (?) bolts on the top and 2 wiring harnesses to unclip and the bumper is ready to remove.

When I installed my oil cooler guard I had the front end of the car on jack stands and the bumper half installed. I did a test fitment of the guard with the bumper in place and it would have been difficult. You're replacing an odd shaped piece of flimsy plastic with rigid aluminum.

Part of the problem I had was that I have a front spoiler and the mounting points on the sides were problematic with the thickness of the aluminum guard. Without that complexity you might have better luck sliding the guard in place while you have someone pull out and up on the bumper.

Either way it's an easy-ish install. Feel free to send me a DM if you have any specific questions
Appreciate 0