BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Brake squeak.

01-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #23
KillerExcessive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 6MT F80 6MT F87 6MT G82CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
It depends on the pitch of the squeak; if the frequency is above 6000 hz but below 7000 hz, you're okay, if it is below or above, your car will explode.

I'm kidding, this has been discussed to death on this forum. Its normal.
To shreds, you say?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #24
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerExcessive View Post
To shreds, you say?
Look, the last time someone's brakes squealed, it turned their car into a convertible.

01-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #25
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG///M View Post
Normal with any high performance brakes. After experiencing the bloody murder from PFC08 pads, nothing is loud anymore.

Apply some pad paste if it's really bothering you. These calipers are super easy to service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Quote:
Yep, very noisy brakes. I assumed though that it was expected, since they only squeal under light braking such as the last 10 feet before a red light. Slightly embarrassing though for around town driving, oh well.
This is perfectly normal for any car outfitted with aggressive metallic pads.

Normal to hear the pad noise rolling to a stop...Usually from the rears.

I've lived with it on several cars now.

One way to possibly reduce or eliminate the noise at runout is to make a couple really hard stops (ABS kicks on)

That usually re-beds the pads in the rear where deposits build up if you only daily drive the car..

Its funny but my Ferodo 2500's On the Essex BBK aren't making any noise at all...

Where my OEM's did a tad
+1 on bedding occasionally

My Ferodo 2500s are actually pretty loud with the stock calipers. I did not use pad paste as the BMW manual says it shouldn't be applied.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #26
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG///M View Post
Normal with any high performance brakes. After experiencing the bloody murder from PFC08 pads, nothing is loud anymore.

Apply some pad paste if it's really bothering you. These calipers are super easy to service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Quote:
Yep, very noisy brakes. I assumed though that it was expected, since they only squeal under light braking such as the last 10 feet before a red light. Slightly embarrassing though for around town driving, oh well.
This is perfectly normal for any car outfitted with aggressive metallic pads.

Normal to hear the pad noise rolling to a stop...Usually from the rears.

I've lived with it on several cars now.

One way to possibly reduce or eliminate the noise at runout is to make a couple really hard stops (ABS kicks on)

That usually re-beds the pads in the rear where deposits build up if you only daily drive the car..

Its funny but my Ferodo 2500's On the Essex BBK aren't making any noise at all...

Where my OEM's did a tad
+1 on bedding occasionally

My Ferodo 2500s are actually pretty loud with the stock calipers. I did not use pad paste as the BMW manual says it shouldn't be applied.
The manual don't always make sense, especially these days where they actively discourage people to work on their cars.

Lots of people use a thin layer on and off track with Brembo or AP calipers for years and never had a problem. As long as you don't over apply it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:54 PM   #27
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:
To shreds, you say?
Look, the last time someone's brakes squealed, it turned their car into a convertible.

[IMG]https://images.stv.tv/articles/w1280...urie-crash.jpg[/IMG]
Jeez, that's a tragic photo, on both ends; for the car and the unfortunate occupants that had to endure that sort of impact..

Although, most of the missing roof is probably from the "Jaws of Life" pliers that emergency first responders, to major automobile accidents, roll around with and not actually related to the collision.

Regardless, I sincerely hope the occupants they made it long enough to sue their insurance company, for a new car..

Appreciate 2
Bumpinjeep5363.50
Kankles1484.50
      01-13-2021, 01:47 AM   #28
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Huh, interesting. I was under the impression that this was a 2NH issue specifically, since my F80 with the standard blue calipers never made any squeak/squeal, not even once.
This. My F80 brakes have never squealed. My M2c, on the other hand, always squeals, LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:49 AM   #29
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
No squeal ever in 27 months on my blue brake M2C.

I've owned some howlers in the past though. Pagid blues on my e36 M3 and I used to duck down in the seat with embarrassment at traffic lights. It sounded like a garbage truck. But worse.

Really hoping the incoming CS isn't a howler.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #30
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Really hoping the incoming CS isn't a howler.
If it has the steel brakes, it will be.
Kankles1484.50
      01-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #31
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

BBK's tend to squeak; it's perfectly normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #32
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Regarding unwanted brake noises - I've had good results in subduing or eliminating most of jarring brake byproduct sounds emitted, by merely taking apart the entire braking system, throughly cleaning every contact surface of any and all interconnect mechanical braking components, throughly soaking them with an absurd amount brake cleaner spray - then finally apply a thin coating of any major distributor of generic Disc Brake Quiet or Anti-Squeal gel, amongst each and every adjoining end piece that might need to endure any sort friction, due to the normal operation of the braking system.

The Disc Brake Quiet formula is water resistant, high-temperature film that absorbs noise while quieting squeaks & squeals within the vehicle's braking system - and should last for the life of a typical brake pad or rotor.

This Disc Quiet/ Anti-Squeal gel is frowned upon in some of the official BMW technical repair manual but I've been personally using it for years, with excellent result..

BMWs main argument against the use of any anti-squeal products is when applied, its added lubricants can possible throws off the braking system fastener's torque specs, that's officially prescribed by the BMW overlords and not that this product has any direct detrimental affect towards the braking performance, per se, for better or worst.

Its main purpose and effect of any and all anti-squeal and Brake Disc Quite products is an underlining liquid form of sound mechanical deadening, that of friction-induced braking components and the byproduct cacophony it emits.

When applied correctly, anti-squeal gel acts as a dampening layer, isolating the brake pad, shims or adjacent components, as to form adhesive, which bonds it to it's corresponding mechanical components, effectively changing the mass of the shoe causing it's natural resonance frequency to drop to the inaudible range. It can vibrate all it wants, nobody will hear it.

It's like $7 a tube and might be worth a shot, before jumping to other more possible dire solutions.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CFO275.00
      01-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #33
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I stopped the squeal by applying a liberal amount of synthetic bearing grease to the pad friction surface and the rotor.

I also aligned the in-board pads as depicted in the pic.

Problem solved...problem staying solved
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #34
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

^^now that is just mean (but there is a video of a backyard hacker lathering it on the friction surfaces).

My M2c only has 110 miles, so no squeal yet, but with other BBK it seems to relate to bedding quality. Once fully bedded (or when discs are raw), they quiet down a lot, so try that first. Most people don't really brake hard enough to truly bed them, so push it almost to ABS level 8-10 times.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      01-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #35
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
^^now that is just mean (but there is a video of a backyard hacker lathering it on the friction surfaces).

My M2c only has 110 miles, so no squeal yet, but with other BBK it seems to relate to bedding quality. Once fully bedded (or when discs are raw), they quiet down a lot, so try that first. Most people don't really brake hard enough to truly bed them, so push it almost to ABS level 8-10 times.
Yeah, in all seriousness this is true, but I think you can't eliminate it completely with stock pads on the 2nh.

Funny side note, I ran Pagid RSL29 in the summer (for track days) and bedded them in on the Autobahn. They squealed just a hair bit more than the stock pads but way less than the guys with blue brakes and the same Pagids. On the blue M brakes (stock F8x brakes) the Pagids sound like a dump truck driving though a nitroglycerin plant.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50