BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > My car exhaust is much quieter than other M2s. Could I have a clogged cat?

12-17-2020, 04:10 AM   #23
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
It might not be a bad idea to get an oil analysis done. You could be looking at coked oil if the turbo was getting to hot.
I changed the engine oil very recently.
What should I be looking for at the next change?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 04:11 AM   #24
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Sorry if I came off rude. Have a happy holiday.
No offense taken, don't worry. I understand. Happy holiday to you too.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      12-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #25
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktom2 View Post
I changed the engine oil very recently.
What should I be looking for at the next change?
You can just take a sample of your oil in a clean container and ship it to a lab to do analysis on it. They will process the oil to determine if there is internal damage. Excessive heat in the turbo could have essentially cooked the oil in a process called coking, where extreme temps cause oxidation of the oil and it forms hard shards of carbon deposits. This can cause additional wear etc. in your engine or block oil passages. They can also look for bearing material etc.

It's actually pretty cheap considering how much insight you can gain from it. If you have an engine or turbo issue, this can pick it up before you have a big mechanical failure that would cost even more to fix.

If you don't want to pay though, you can always just do a quick and dirty physical analysis yourself. Drain the oil and run a magnet through it, you should get almost no pickup of ferric fragments in "healthy" oil.

Cut open the filter and then the filter element, see if there are obvious flecks of metal in the filter. Anything like that is a bad sign.

However, I would bet that your car is probably fine. The fact that it was still running, and just seemed to be down on power is a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #26
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
You can just take a sample of your oil in a clean container and ship it to a lab to do analysis on it. They will process the oil to determine if there is internal damage. Excessive heat in the turbo could have essentially cooked the oil in a process called coking, where extreme temps cause oxidation of the oil and it forms hard shards of carbon deposits. This can cause additional wear etc. in your engine or block oil passages. They can also look for bearing material etc.

It's actually pretty cheap considering how much insight you can gain from it. If you have an engine or turbo issue, this can pick it up before you have a big mechanical failure that would cost even more to fix.

If you don't want to pay though, you can always just do a quick and dirty physical analysis yourself. Drain the oil and run a magnet through it, you should get almost no pickup of ferric fragments in "healthy" oil.

Cut open the filter and then the filter element, see if there are obvious flecks of metal in the filter. Anything like that is a bad sign.

However, I would bet that your car is probably fine. The fact that it was still running, and just seemed to be down on power is a good sign.
Thanks I will look at sending a sample to a lab. It won't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #27
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Today I went to a shop to decat the sportcat with a drill and we failed.

I may try at another shop with a torch or something really hot.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #28
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

You might just want to go with a catless DP. They're pretty cheap compared to catted DP's, and you'll probably have a tough time getting all the cat material out cleanly without damaging the external pipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #29
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
You might just want to go with a catless DP. They're pretty cheap compared to catted DP's, and you'll probably have a tough time getting all the cat material out cleanly without damaging the external pipe.
This. Catless DP is so cheap, and 0 PITA.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #30
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
This. Catless DP is so cheap, and 0 PITA.
If you're not tuned (and want to stay that way) it's a little annoying since you'll have a CEL on your dash. Also annoying if you live someplace where emissions testing is mandatory. If my sportcat ever blows I'll just get another. They're worth it to me since there's no smoke, smells, or CEL. Personally, I also think they sound better than straight pipes.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #31
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
If you're not tuned (and want to stay that way) it's a little annoying since you'll have a CEL on your dash. Also annoying if you live someplace where emissions testing is mandatory. If my sportcat ever blows I'll just get another. They're worth it to me since there's no smoke, smells, or CEL. Personally, I also think they sound better than straight pipes.
I'm completely on your page, I have a catted DP for those exact reasons. I was only saying that if he's trying to drill out the DP, might as well buy one without the cat for cheap and not have the hassle.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
      12-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #32
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I'm completely on your page, I have a catted DP for those exact reasons. I was only saying that if he's trying to drill out the DP, might as well buy one without the cat for cheap and not have the hassle.
Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I agree, why waste time and money drilling when you can just buy a straight pipe for next to nothing.
      12-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #33
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

I also think a catted DP sounds better.
Catless is loud but sounds a bit like an exhaust on the S55.. not a very pleasant note from the videos I have seen.
But I just figured out I could try the sound with this pipe and see if I like it or not, but the work to remove the material is too much. I may just buy a catless DP or a catted DP.

Is the sound the same between catted DP's, assuming they are the same cell rating? I really like what the akrapovic catted DP sounds like in videos. I wonder if a cheap DP like the Active Autowerk will produce the same sound and will perform the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #34
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

I ordered ER catless downpipes but right after I did, a shop that I know well told me they could gut the sportcat for not much of a cost (~a hundred bucks), so instead of throwing away the pipe, I gave it a second life. What they did is cut it open from the side, pull all the material (wasn't easy at all!), polish the inside to make it smooth then weld it back together.
I blurred the pics because the shop didn't want to be recognized if I post pics online. You can see on the picture that the first cat was a complete mess, and the second almost good but the exterior was also partially melt and stuck to the pipe. So it was not an option to leave it there.

I emailed x-ph.com (where I ordered the ER downpipe) to cancel my order, as it wasn't shipped, but they don't answer my emails. Worst case scenario I end up with two catless downpipes and will have to sell one of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #35
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Yikes! That picture gives me major trypophobia vibes
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #36
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Ready to be installed
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:42 AM   #37
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Little update

I installed the (now) catless akra downpipe for a week but the smell was horrible. So I added a 200 cell instead of the resonator. I was afraid that it would muffle the sound but it still sounds good to my ears. Smell is a bit better, but not quite as good as stock (as expected).

Catless downpipe + reso delete + 200 cell cat (instead of the resonator) + stock muffler. No burble map :

Happy now

Last edited by Oktom2; 01-09-2021 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #38
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Cool update, but that doesn't sound like a "no burble" map to me. Do you mean OEM burbles?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #39
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Which 200 cell cat did you purchase and what are the dimensions?
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #40
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Cool update, but that doesn't sound like a "no burble" map to me. Do you mean OEM burbles?
I mean't "no burbles added, just oem burbles".
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #41
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Which 200 cell cat did you purchase and what are the dimensions?
It is made in germany but I am not sure of the maker. I bought it used from a friend.
I will measure dimensions and tell you when I get back home.
Appreciate 0