BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > SPL PARTS

12-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

SPL PARTS

Anyone running spl arms and such on their track focused m2s?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
Anyone running spl arms and such on their track focused m2s?
I have their adj end links on both sways. Haven't done anything else to this point. Quality products
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I have pretty much their whole offering for the M2 waiting to go on the car - do you have a question on anything about the actual parts or is it more wanting to know how they perform on track?

One thing of note on the E9x M3 side you hear about some people having issues with the titanium hardware backing out. Some have reported this happening while others have not had an issue. There are some that change out all the titanium for stainless.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I have pretty much their whole offering for the M2 waiting to go on the car - do you have a question on anything about the actual parts or is it more wanting to know how they perform on track?

One thing of note on the E9x M3 side you hear about some people having issues with the titanium hardware backing out. Some have reported this happening while others have not had an issue. There are some that change out all the titanium for stainless.
Likewise, I hope to get everything on the car in a few months. I'll be looking into stainless as well because the titanium ones strip easily as well. I felt the pain first hand on my e92 M3 with full SPL Arms. The arms/bearings etc are great, those pretty blue bolts are weak.
      12-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome guys that's great feed back!
I'm looking to potentially do all the arms or at least most of them before a track day end of June.
I'm thinking the front thrust arm, rear upper arms to adjust the rear camber, rear toe arm and the front sway bar end links.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:02 AM   #6
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M2

I have installed the parts on below pic + rear sway bar end link

Works all very fine, definately can recommend
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
I have installed the parts on below pic + rear sway bar end link

Works all very fine, definately can recommend
Was the install pretty easy? Was it hard to get the arms adjusted to lengths that were good enough to get it aligned?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Had full SPL line on my M4. Recommended!
      12-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Was the install pretty easy? Was it hard to get the arms adjusted to lengths that were good enough to get it aligned?
SPL parts no challenge to install (as per my garage), sway bars from Dinan caused some problems in fitment.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
juicy
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
Quote:
SPL parts no challenge to install (as per my garage), sway bars from Dinan caused some problems in fitment.
Easy install unless people have rusted suspension components haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:13 AM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCity View Post
does this front tention arm replace this bmw part? so there is no need to buy the monoball arms?

Yes it does. I bought that SPL arm because I was going to put a monoball there anyways and their arm already has it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Yes it does. I bought that SPL arm because I was going to put a monoball there anyways and their arm already has it.
Why does the SPL have adjustments, when the original one doesn't?
      01-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #13
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Why does the SPL have adjustments, when the original one doesn't?
To adjust caster, camber, toe
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #14
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
To adjust caster, camber, toe
I'm not an alignment expert, but I don't know how that adjustment will adjust all three of those. I can see maybe Camber, but that's what I have Camber Plates for. I just ordered the OE arm with Mono Balls installed, seems like a more robust part.
      01-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #15
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I would suggest looking at the M2 suspension and the different arms to see how moving each in and out affects the tires.

The specific arm in question, adjusts caster, not camber. You cannot adjust camber with a suspension arm in a mcpherson strut system. I told this to you in the other thread. SPL sells replacement arms for the other suspension parts, as well, which adjust different things. It's not a single arm being able to adjust multiple things, but multiple arms adjusting independent things.

As for strength, SPL is far ahead. OEM is pot cast uncoated aluminum. SPL is machined billet and anodized. Machined billet is far superior in both strength and stiffness. And anodized aluminum is far superior to uncoated aluninum in teams of corrosion pertection.

Sure, OEM looks like a beefier item, but due to the mfg process, it's not. The added girth in the OEM arms is to make up for the cheaper production process of the arms. More cost effective.
After researching Turner,SPL and OEM with Mono Ball installed, I decided to keep it simple. I do not see the point in adding addition points of potential weakness, such as joints into this equation. My Caster and Camber is adjusted through Camber Plates. What is the benefit to have two adjustments points?
      01-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #16
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
There are no two adjustment points. Caster is adjusted ONLY through the thrust arm when you have SPL arms. Camber plates do not allow for any caster adjustment.
If I were to put those arms on my car I would have two adjustment points for Camber. Camber Plates and this SPL Arm. Ground Control sells Camber/Caster Plates.

Last edited by chief1richard; 01-03-2021 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #17
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There are no two adjustment points. Caster is adjusted ONLY through the thrust arm when you have SPL arms. Camber plates do not allow for any caster adjustment.
If I were to put those arms on my car I would have two adjustment points for Camber. Camber Plates and this SPL Arm. Ground Control sells Camber/Caster Plates.
Bottom line, unless you plan on tracking this car very hard you don't need any of the spl parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #18
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have GC plates for the m2 and they do not adjust caster. There was also no option.

Like previously stated the only way to adjust front caster is the thrust arm. Hence why you can get mono ball units with different inserts to adjust caster.

I'm deciding to go the SPL arm route to remove pot cast aluminum and remove as much rubber out of my suspension as possible. My car is built for aggressive track and canyon drives.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #19
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I've done adjustable arms and camber plates in my F31. NVH should be better with just the adjustable arms and keeping the stock top mount.

With my F31 I couldn't reach my camber target with just arms alone (xdrive), however I can do so with the M2.

BTW, if you look at the M2 CS Racing you'll see they use arms like the SPL.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #20
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No you wouldn't. Those arms have nothing to do with camber.
The SPL wishbone/LCA does adjust camber. SPL told me it should be able to get to -4deg. As you increase camber by lengthening the LCA/widening the track, caster will increase on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #21
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Tension Arm

Quote:
We're not talking about the LCA though, we are talking about the upper thrust arm. The ones I linked images to earlier. The guy I replied to also made a thread and has been asking about that arm, the thrust arm, with the monoball bushings.

Guess it kinda gets lost in translation when myself and cheifrichard say "those arms" back and forth. But the context of the conversation is about the upper arms, not the LCA. The arms both him and I are refering to ar the thrust arms. They have nothing to do with camber.
After all these posts, I have decided to cancel my Monoball in Cast Aluminum Arm. I will be ordering the SPL Upper Thrust Arm, or as some call it Tension rod.
      01-29-2021, 02:27 AM   #22
slap
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Caster Adjustment

I used the lower control arms to give more -ve camber but had to go back and order the thrust arms to adjust the caster as it was out of spec, causing binding and rubbing on the inner front fender. I didn't do the tie rod ends as
I haven't lowered it enough so no issues there.

But if you go with lower control arms for -ve camber adjustments and you want to go out past -2 up to -3.5 then you will need the thrust arms to adjust the caster - or you will have problems with rubbing and binding.

I use my M2 for competitive supersprints at state level and the difference has been around 1 sec/lap with the camber, caster and toe adjusted for turn in etc. Cheapest 1 sec I've ever gotten.

These arms will provide far better gain than coil overs etc - I'm always amazed that people don't adjust their camber, toe and caster (need the SPL adjustable rods for this type of thing) and think that coil overs will give a great increase in race type handling - good for ride and ultimate grip but only if you have done all the rest first. I haven't used camber plates in this car, just adjustable arms. Nothing wrong with coilovers and I use them, but getting the geometry right will give far greater handling, turn in and stability increases so I always advise people to do their arms first. Often they then wait some time before upgrading to coilovers as well.

My 2c
Appreciate 0