BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Install side skirt/front lip without jacks

12-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #1
capeie
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Install side skirt/front lip without jacks

Hey guys,
I just got my side skirts and front lip in from suvneer, want to install them but I have no jacks.

I was thinking of using a right angle drill bit to get clearance to drill the side skirts and the front lip in. Anyone have success doing it this way?

I did buy a ramp to do this but had to return it, I think the car is too low and would scrape.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #2
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I have a suvneer lip, I installed it with bolts + oem hardware. Depends on the ramps you use but yeah car is too low probably for bigger ramps.

I used these

https://www.eastwood.com/race-ramps-...ce=google&wv=4

these are small ramps used so you can jack the car if car is too low. They give you enought space to install the lip. Not sure about side skirts though, likely not so your idea might work. However I would just buy a jack to have and do it that way. For front lip though the ramps are nice, I would not want to do anything under-ish the car with a jack and those race ramps are fantastic, pricey but fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
capeie
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I have a suvneer lip, I installed it with bolts + oem hardware. Depends on the ramps you use but yeah car is too low probably for bigger ramps.

I used these

https://www.eastwood.com/race-ramps-...ce=google&wv=4

these are small ramps used so you can jack the car if car is too low. They give you enought space to install the lip. Not sure about side skirts though, likely not so your idea might work. However I would just buy a jack to have and do it that way. For front lip though the ramps are nice, I would not want to do anything under-ish the car with a jack and those race ramps are fantastic, pricey but fantastic.
MooMooM2 I ended up using race ramps I borrowed from a buddy. the lip looks great

I do have a question though- maybe you can answer this. If My lip breaks and I want to replace it with the same lip, how do I mount that lip with the holes I made from this lip? I feel like If replaced this lip the screws wouldnt hold in the same spots.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeie View Post
MooMooM2 I ended up using race ramps I borrowed from a buddy. the lip looks great

I do have a question though- maybe you can answer this. If My lip breaks and I want to replace it with the same lip, how do I mount that lip with the holes I made from this lip? I feel like If replaced this lip the screws wouldnt hold in the same spots.
they won't and that is why I did not use self tapping screws, not only you will not be able to take bumper off but they are sketchy and your bumper may fly off if you go above certain speeds (I go to the track and see speeds of up to 130mph no problem so I did not want to run the risk of the lip flying off).

So I used bolts with rivnuts but when I have some time I am going to switch them to similar rivnuts as Farkle has done as seen here

Yes this is kind of a pain to do but I just don't trust a lip with tape and self tapping bolts
Appreciate 1