BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Oil change after a track day?

05-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #23
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LiterBeater View Post
I don't really trust the factory drain intervals. They consider the wear "acceptable" but, planning on keeping and tracking the car for a long time, I think the reduced wear will pay dividends.

My analysis shows less wear at a considerable amount of track time than some of the factory intervals with no track time which motivates me to keep using it/ changing at 5-6k miles
I’m running with this same logic given the ease and relatively low cost.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2022, 12:25 PM   #24
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
I'm going to jump out on a limb and say it's likely more beneficial to run oils more equipped for track use than those who achieve the LL approvals. There are oils outside of the 300v that are not likely to damage cats. I'd argue they won't be checking in-depth as to what oil you were running prior to an engine failure as that's very hard to prove.

That shearing/ breakdown of the xcess in the previously mentioned post would make me question long term longevity of the engine on track.
I mostly agree that they are unlikely to do that, but given the cost of that gamble, I'm willing to try and find an approved oil that will hopefully meet my needs. I do feel guilty about short oil change intervals due to the waste. My wear on the Motul Xcess Gen2 5w40 (despite shearing down) looked pretty good according to Blackstone.

Quote:
I don't really trust the factory drain intervals. They consider the wear "acceptable" but, planning on keeping and tracking the car for a long time, I think the reduced wear will pay dividends.

My analysis shows less wear at a considerable amount of track time than some of the factory intervals with no track time which motivates me to keep using it/ changing at 5-6k miles
You should post the oil you're running in the oil thread I linked to. And 100% to anyone considering the factory intervals—even if you're sticking with the BMW oil, change it significantly more often.

At the risk of confusing things, for the CS Racing, BMW recommends oil and filter change every 5,000 km (3100 miles) using BMW TwinPower Turbo LL-04 0W-30. But that engine is only supposed to last 30,000 km.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #25
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Quote:
I'm going to jump out on a limb and say it's likely more beneficial to run oils more equipped for track use than those who achieve the LL approvals. There are oils outside of the 300v that are not likely to damage cats. I'd argue they won't be checking in-depth as to what oil you were running prior to an engine failure as that's very hard to prove.

That shearing/ breakdown of the xcess in the previously mentioned post would make me question long term longevity of the engine on track.
I mostly agree that they are unlikely to do that, but given the cost of that gamble, I'm willing to try and find an approved oil that will hopefully meet my needs. I do feel guilty about short oil change intervals due to the waste. My wear on the Motul Xcess Gen2 5w40 (despite shearing down) looked pretty good according to Blackstone.

Quote:

You should post the oil you're running in the oil thread I linked to. And 100% to anyone considering the factory intervals—even if you're sticking with the BMW oil, change it significantly more often.

At the risk of confusing things, for the CS Racing, BMW recommends oil and filter change every 5,000 km (3100 miles) using BMW TwinPower Turbo LL-04 0W-30. But that engine is only supposed to last 30,000 km.
Great info! Can you link where you found the servicing on the factory race cars? I'm only familiar with the Porsche side of things.

As for the other comment, happy to share my oil. I also used it in my Audi RS4 with wonderful results
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 02:21 PM   #26
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 comp

Thread bump

Just curious if anyone strictly only uses the OEM stuff and tracks their car?

Ive been doing an oil change every 2-3 track days on my M2C. I always use the oem stuff with oem filter. Debating on perhaps going with a thicker weight oil, however it seems pointless as the oil temps never exceed normal temps; even during hard 20 minute sessions.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #27
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Another happy engine report from Blackstone. Car is still used daily and sees everything from snow and ice to humid summer days. Stock aside from catless DP and a Wagner IC.

5-10 track days on each oil sample
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M1500Z423.00
to_riffic3023.50
      11-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #28
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM2C View Post
Thread bump

Just curious if anyone strictly only uses the OEM stuff and tracks their car?

Ive been doing an oil change every 2-3 track days on my M2C. I always use the oem stuff with oem filter. Debating on perhaps going with a thicker weight oil, however it seems pointless as the oil temps never exceed normal temps; even during hard 20 minute sessions.
Mine track/street use and I never buy anything OEM, always the cheapest filters from the best-known brands, oil before I used amsoil 0w40, now mobil1 0w40 every 5.000km.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:17 PM   #29
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 comp

Quote:
Another happy engine report from Blackstone. Car is still used daily and sees everything from snow and ice to humid summer days. Stock aside from catless DP and a Wagner IC
Can you remind me which oil you use?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #30
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM2C View Post
Quote:
Another happy engine report from Blackstone. Car is still used daily and sees everything from snow and ice to humid summer days. Stock aside from catless DP and a Wagner IC
Can you remind me which oil you use?
Sure thing. 5w-40 RLI Bio-Syn (low-ash)

https://renewablelube.com/products/b...mo-shp-low-ash

Used year round!
Appreciate 1
MadM2C73.50