BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Production Number / Build Date / VIN

02-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Production Number / Build Date / VIN

As I'm still a little fuzzy on this whole procedure I'm looking for experiences with those 3 things. How long did you have to wait between them? Like once you received your PN how long after did you receive your BD and VIN? I've had my production number for a couple months now but that's it. I'm hearing this is normal and others are saying the PN and BD go hand in hand. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Canada but I'm sure the procedure is similar everywhere. Thanks.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

It's always been my understanding that production numbers are directly tied to build weeks. The first time I called BMW Genius after receiving my M2 production number I was given the estimated build completion week. I'm still confused as to how you have a production number but no estimated build completion week. It makes no sense and is different than my experience with all five BMW's I've ordered.

The VIN I don't know exactly when it was assigned (I believe it's immediately before production starts) since I didn't ask my CA for it until I knew production was done (I only use the VIN to find the ship for tracking).
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      02-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCUR View Post
It's always been my understanding that production numbers are directly tied to build weeks. The first time I called BMW Genius after receiving my M2 production number I was given the estimated build completion week. I'm still confused as to how you have a production number but no estimated build completion week. It makes no sense and is different than my experience with all five BMW's I've ordered.

The VIN I don't know exactly when it was assigned (I believe it's immediately before production starts) since I didn't ask my CA for it until I knew production was done (I only use the VIN to find the ship for tracking).
Trust me I'm confused too.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
As I'm still a little fuzzy on this whole procedure I'm looking for experiences with those 3 things. How long did you have to wait between them? Like once you received your PN how long after did you receive your BD and VIN? I've had my production number for a couple months now but that's it. I'm hearing this is normal and others are saying the PN and BD go hand in hand. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Canada but I'm sure the procedure is similar everywhere. Thanks.
I've had my PN since 1-17-17 with an expected build date in March with delivery expected in April. I don't have a build date yet and I don't have a VIN yet, but the BMW track my car website shows the car but with the wrong color. I'm told that the website can be notoriously inaccurate regarding the details and it can lag info that the dealer may already have.
Attached Images

02-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
TheBatM2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3C, Individual DBB

Production number is always associated with an estimated Build Week. BMW Genius can give you an estimated build week. They will not give you an exact production date, however they should have no issues sharing the confirmed estimated build week. VIN Number is assigned only after your car is well into the production process. This is typically 3-5 days into production start, once all the body shop work is complete.

Best!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
TheBatM2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3C, Individual DBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I've had my PN since 1-17-17 with an expected build date in March with delivery expected in April. I don't have a build date yet and I don't have a VIN yet, but the BMW track my car website shows the car but with the wrong color. I'm told that the website can be notoriously inaccurate regarding the details and it can lag info that the dealer may already have.
Your color will be updated online as soon as the car goes into Status = 112.At least that was my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiamhere View Post
Production number is always associated with an estimated Build Week. BMW Genius can give you an estimated build week. They will not give you an exact production date, however they should have no issues sharing the confirmed estimated build week. VIN Number is assigned only after your car is well into the production process. This is typically 3-5 days into production start, once all the body shop work is complete.

Best!
In Canada the BMW geniuses are more like 3rd graders

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
jofus
Rep
Drives: MY17 M2 On Order

When I finalized my order at the beginning of December, my SA said he had an allocation date in January with a March delivery to the GTA. By the end of December he had given me a production number. When I called to confirm the build date with the Canada "genius" line the first time, they were able to tell me it was an estimated week 3 build. I called a few times after for updates and they weren't even able to confirm the build week, so I gave up calling. I got my VIN on the 12th from my SA, and it finished production on the 19th.

Not surprised you're not getting good info from the Canada help line, but am a bit surprised the dealer doesn't have the build date more solidly firmed up for you. That was the first thing they were able to provide me with (at least ballpark), and were able to confirm with a production number a few weeks later. It's conceivable he had the production number all along, but I didn't ask for or receive it until a few weeks after finalizing the order.
Appreciate 1
Kid Eh569.50
      02-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #9
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

I have said this 1000x in a variety threads around here and will say it again (for our Canadian members):

If you have a production number, you have a build week. Period.

The two come hand in hand. BMWCA stopped in late fall 2016 giving out build week estimations by phone, but your CA/SA most definitely has that information, all he has to do is send you a screenshot of the order. If he won't point it out for you, I can help, just DM me the screenshot.

Remember too that last year was when the rear differential recall was (and still is actually....) going on, so a lot of cars were built during the proper week but then had to wait around for a diff replacement, sometimes for almost two months. That - or so I've been told - is the reason they stopped giving build week info by phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I have said this 1000x in a variety threads around here and will say it again (for our Canadian members):

If you have a production number, you have a build week. Period.

The two come hand in hand. BMWCA stopped in late fall 2016 giving out build week estimations by phone, but your CA/SA most definitely has that information, all he has to do is send you a screenshot of the order. If he won't point it out for you, I can help, just DM me the screenshot.

Remember too that last year was when the rear differential recall was (and still is actually....) going on, so a lot of cars were built during the proper week but then had to wait around for a diff replacement, sometimes for almost two months. That - or so I've been told - is the reason they stopped giving build week info by phone.
Well I've asked him repeatedly for a build week and he says he doesn't know. I have a great relationship with him and have dealt with him for 11 years now. I'm sure he would tell me.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well I've asked him repeatedly for a build week and he says he doesn't know. I have a great relationship with him and have dealt with him for 11 years now. I'm sure he would tell me.
Easy solution: ask for a screenshot of your order page. Tell him it's to brag at forums or whatever. I'll gladly find the info on the screenshot for you.

If he's legit he wouldn't have a problem sending it to you. Just make sure you black out your personal info.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Make it your mission to track down that build week, it has to be there, it will make your wait somewhat easier, but not much
      02-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
So I managed to get my build month. It's June. I'm pretty bummed about it. When I put down my down payment I was told March build and April delivery. When I grilled him about that he said something about that's the info they had and were later informed there was a delay. In his exact words...

"We were not aware that there was a parts availability issue due to the overwhelming demand worldwide. Looks like the US and some Middle Eastern countries got priority build based on profit margins. Corporate decision."

So I'm looking at a late July delivery which kills the whole summer practically. I can deal with a May build but any later than that sucks. Might get my deposit back.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
So I managed to get my build month. It's June. I'm pretty bummed about it. When I put down my down payment I was told March build and April delivery. When I grilled him about that he said something about that's the info they had and were later informed there was a delay. In his exact words...

"We were not aware that there was a parts availability issue due to the overwhelming demand worldwide. Looks like the US and some Middle Eastern countries got priority build based on profit margins. Corporate decision."

So I'm looking at a late July delivery which kills the whole summer practically. I can deal with a May build but any later than that sucks. Might get my deposit back.
I originally put a deposit back in Oct/2015, thought I would get my car by the summer too...that did not happened, got a MY2017 in Oct/2016, car only has 900Km on it, sleeping pretty in the garage right now. All I can say, especially after driving it...man is it worth the wait!!
Kid Eh569.50
      02-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2ME2 View Post
All I can say, especially after driving it...man is it worth the wait!!
Well the wait is only half of the issue for me. I've just sold my current car and am borrowing my dads car until he's back from Florida in mid March. After that I planned on maybe renting something or just taking public transit for a month or so until my car came. Now all that's out the window.

Appreciate 1
///Mē281.00
      02-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
iprchaels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2(On order)

When can I get my production number?

Hello. Just wondering when can I get my production number since I've been waiting for 3 months(placed the order on Nov.25 ). My dealer told me I am currently number 4 on the waitlist. Can anyone estimate the date that I am able to pick up my m2?

Thank you
Jack.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iprchaels View Post
Hello. Just wondering when can I get my production number since I've been waiting for 3 months(placed the order on Nov.25 ). My dealer told me I am currently number 4 on the waitlist. Can anyone estimate the date that I am able to pick up my m2?

Thank you
Jack.
You'll get a number when you're assigned an allocation. If you're very, very, very lucky you might get a Q2 2017 allocation (they come out in the next couple of days) for delivery in late Q2 or early Q3.

Now, if I'm being realistic, you're probably two sets of allocations behind, so a Q4 production is likely, for delivery in Q1 2018. That's my rough guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #18
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Well the wait is only half of the issue for me. I've just sold my current car and am borrowing my dads car until he's back from Florida in mid March. After that I planned on maybe renting something or just taking public transit for a month or so until my car came. Now all that's out the window.
Sounds almost like my situation. I've had been bugging my rep for the production number because I need to put a timeframe together to get rid of my current car. Eventually she provided me with one.

Sorry to hear yours will be later in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #19
iprchaels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2(On order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
You'll get a number when you're assigned an allocation. If you're very, very, very lucky you might get a Q2 2017 allocation (they come out in the next couple of days) for delivery in late Q2 or early Q3.

Now, if I'm being realistic, you're probably two sets of allocations behind, so a Q4 production is likely, for delivery in Q1 2018. That's my rough guess.
Thx for your reply. I might contact my dealer in next couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #20
bmw-st
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2C AW

Why don't you start shopping around?
There are dealerships with allocations available or cars in stock. You should be able to fine one.
I am in SoCal, and I was able to come across with multiple dealerships w/ allocations available.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-st View Post
Why don't you start shopping around?
There are dealerships with allocations available or cars in stock. You should be able to fine one.
I am in SoCal, and I was able to come across with multiple dealerships w/ allocations available.
For anyone in the US, for sure do this! There's at least 6 I know of on the forum.

Here in Canada though, you're SOL. 2017 is sold out, so now it's into 2018. My dealer is Fall 2018 (their estimate based on 2016 and 2017 allocation numbers).
Appreciate 0