BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Aquamist WMI Installed

01-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Aquamist WMI Installed

Hey Guys,

For a while I would lurk around on the forums in hopes of seeing if anyone installed Aquamist's WMI kit on their M2 to no avail, so I ended up ordering the Aquamist HFS4 for my M2. So as far as I know, this is the first Aquamist kit to be installed on any M2.

I'd also check out the forums to see any more details about WMI kit installs, but didn't really find much, so I thought I'd share some photos of my setup. I had some photos of the install process but can't find them at the moment. I'll share them once I do (I only took photos in the beginning and then got too carried away working with my local performance shop, so forgot to take more). One thing to keep in mind is that throughout this install my primary concern was a factory looking setup that is almost 100% reversible without too much effort, so some mounting choices were made to comply with that thought process.

The job all in all took approximately 8 hours to complete, mainly due to difficulties operating in the tight area around the DME near the firewall, and due to having to make sure to tap into the correct wires, as there are more than one wire having the same color per connector; this was a huge hassle.

With regards to working in the trunk area, it was all extremely straightforward and took no time at all. Ran the necessary electrical wires to the controller from the passenger side by routing the cables under the door sill and to the passenger footwell area where the controller was. Fuel line from the fuel pump was run to the driver side from the passenger side area of the trunk, and was run under the door sills to reach the firewall where an easy access grommet led the fuel line to the engine bay.

The tank was installed on the side as that way it wouldn't require modifying the trunk floor cover and doesn't interfere with its operation at all. One of the 4 mounting points was cut to clear the trunk floor liner. 3 mounting points are more than enough, as the tank is mounted solidly in place and won't be going anywhere.

The fuel pump was installed in the passenger side area of the trunk, in which I opted to cut out the side pocket to make routing wires easier, and to aid in heat ventilation of the pump, and because it gave easy access to the vent which I connected the tank ventilation kit to.

The gauge was installed in the center console, as Lebanon doesn't get wireless charging or any dock to connect your phone to, it was empty and I decided that mounting the gauge there is discrete and completely reversible, as if I decide to uninstall this kit, I'd just buy a $15 replacement rubber cover and call it a day.

Lastly, I am still running my Bootmod3 Stage 2 93' tune, but the car itself feels much faster, like really really fast at low gears, and pulls like a train constantly, without losing performance to rising IAT's.

So without further ado, here are some photos of my setup.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

zieus0.00
akkando5860.00
      01-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Looks like a clean install. To bad you didn’t get more pics. I wish the M2 could fit a 3 gal stealth tank under the trunk floor like what’s available for the M3/M4. I used the windshield washer reservoir for the WM in a previous car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

You could always go with a 1 gallon tank, looks pretty sleek when installed.

I will take pictures if interested.

Car pulls like a train during scorching summers....best and near only mod if done to the car.

Like the reflective heat tape....did that on my last car, which had the HFS-4 lol
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      01-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
You could always go with a 1 gallon tank, looks pretty sleek when installed.

I will take pictures if interested.

Car pulls like a train during scorching summers....best and near only mod if done to the car.

Like the reflective heat tape....did that on my last car, which had the HFS-4 lol
Haha ordered some intake wrap from Heatshield Products, should make it look neater. Was never a fan of the gold color.
      01-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Haha ordered some intake wrap from Heatshield Products, should make it look neater. Was never a fan of the gold color.
I feel that.....went with silver colored heat reflector tape for that reason.

You messed up....the car will feel asthmatic when not injecting lol

Night and day difference, you'll break loose in scenarios you didn't before
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      01-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It certainly does break loose low in the RPM range. I'm filling it with rubbing alcohol that's 96% pure isopropyl rather than going with 50/50 water + methanol. Easier and same benefits.
      01-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
houtiiiii
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: LBB BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Quote:

It certainly does break loose low in the RPM range. I'm filling it with rubbing alcohol that's 96% pure isopropyl rather than going with 50/50 water + methanol. Easier and same benefits.
Nikki benzzzzzzzz
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      01-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

How long does a tank last you?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
It'll be different for everyone because it depends in yoru driving style, the harder you drive the more fuel you'll Inject and since the hsf4 bases flow on injector duty cycle you'll use more water meth the harder you drive. For me my old hsf4 on an m235i lasted about 1 tank of gas on average driving and harder driving alot quicker.
M2OG399.00
963mw331.00
      01-14-2019, 02:51 AM   #10
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
It's been lasting me approximately 1 week with a lot of spirited driving.
      01-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Nice install!

I had an Aquamist HFS4 kit in my EvoVIII and ran 100% meth, it was nice.
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      01-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Yup I'm planning to get an hsf4 in the near future when the warranty is done, but I will be running 100% distilled water because I'll have e85 + an xdi hpfp to supplement fuel and octane, so the water will just be for cooling (even though it can be used to suppress the flame front and hot spots effectively suppressing knock and simulating higher octane gas).
      01-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Water = cooling
Meth =octane

Use a very small nozzle for 100% distilled water, car will bog down if too big!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Nice install.
HP figures from the Dyno?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM2PRDallas View Post
Nice install.
HP figures from the Dyno?
Dynos here are a bit sketchy, won't be a reliable readout, even the delta isn't reliable.
      01-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Water = cooling
Meth =octane

Use a very small nozzle for 100% distilled water, car will bog down if too big!
That's actually a misconception in the BMW world because we use water meth Injection to supplement fuel.

Water suppresses the flame front in the combustion chamber which effectively stops knock simulating running higher octane gasoline. Methanol supplements fuel but itself has a high octane rating so when you spray methanol as well it mixes with the fuel creating a higher octane mixture essentially like ethanol and gas mixes.

If you compare the octane of water and methanol, water has an infinite octane rating but it is incombustible.

So water is just as effective if not more so than methanol if you're not fuel limited, look at the gt2rs and m4 gts as a production car proof if concept.

Yes I'm not a beginner in this field, I have alot of experience messing with water methanol Injection and Imo aquamist is the best option out there compared to any of the current options. It had better hardware from compression fittings designed for meth (not off the shelf stuff that will corrode over time), to FAV's, flow sensors and fail-safes that don't wait for engine knock to kick in.

There's a formula on aquamist's website to calculate injector size for water or various methanol concentrations. If you run more fuel flow you can run more water. You also won't bog as easily or as ad as other systems if water Injection because Injection is based on fuel flow and is actually lines because the FAV is pwmed and not the pump. So it's constant line pressure and modulated injection flow, vs. the competition which is instant on and hope the ECU compensates rapidly to the large change. Or pump pwm which is slow due to the large mass that needs to spin up and fluid which needs to be moved (alot of inertia in total making for a slow response).
963mw331.00
      01-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #17
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Aquamist is definitely the best option out there, but even with all the failsafes and running off IDC if the nozzle selection is incorrect, you can flow too much water and blow out the flame front. But compared to other inferior systems, this one integrates far better and is less likely to due so as you mentioned.

Due to the charaistics of H2O it does simulate a higher octane( that resistance of detonation)....which is actually better then methanol itself.

If anything, methanol is often used for the purpose of not allowing your lines to freeze if living in very frigid areas/ as a fuel itself as you mention/ rapidly reduce intake temps.

I remember speaking to Richard at aquamist many years ago, theres a reason the aquamist systems are primarily used with water in mind and not recommended to use mixtures higher then 50%. The pump and seals in the kit are not designed for high concentrations of methanol.

I find water to be superior for injection, but often calls for further tuning to make the most of it.

PSA:
Methanol in full concentration is easy to ignite and hard to notice(near invisible!) which is why it's never recommended to install one of these in your WW tank or upfront by the engine.
Seen my fair share of incidents.
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      01-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Aquamist is definitely the best option out there, but even with all the failsafes and running off IDC if the nozzle selection is incorrect, you can flow too much water and blow out the flame front. But compared to other inferior systems, this one integrates far better and is less likely to due so as you mentioned.

Due to the charaistics of H2O it does simulate a higher octane( that resistance of detonation)....which is actually better then methanol itself.

If anything, methanol is often used for the purpose of not allowing your lines to freeze if living in very frigid areas/ as a fuel itself as you mention/ rapidly reduce intake temps.

I remember speaking to Richard at aquamist many years ago, theres a reason the aquamist systems are primarily used with water in mind and not recommended to use mixtures higher then 50%. The pump and seals in the kit are not designed for high concentrations of methanol.

I find water to be superior for injection, but often calls for further tuning to make the most of it.

PSA:
Methanol in full concentration is easy to ignite and hard to notice(near invisible!) which is why it's never recommended to install one of these in your WW tank or upfront by the engine.
Seen my fair share of incidents.
Yup agreed, that's why you should use the injector sizing chart they have in their site to pick an appropriate size for your Injector depending on your concentration of meth.

Again 100% correct on the water vs meth portion, which is what I also said above. But BMW users need the meth because we lack fuel. That's why you always hear "how much meth do I need to hit xxx whp. They always think it's the meth giving the octane needed for that power, but in reality it's just supplementing the fuel to get to that power more so than octane.

Yup I also spoke to Richard, and do recall that about the pump. I believe everyone uses aquatec pumps or something of that nature, which is why you hear those guys running 100% meth have pump leaks over time. But the aquamist fittings themselves are designed for 100% meth, and have a reputation online of never leaking compared to the other companies and their off the shelf fittings that can leak. Especially push lock imo, those are notorious for leaks over time.

Yeah water is superior imo as well, but we need more fuel first beuse water displaced air and fuel in the combustion chamber, and you need more fuel to keep the air fuel mixture correct. So you you need to increase fuel injection before you go full water imo, the tuning.

Oh yeah high methanol concentrations in the engine bay is a really bad idea, alot of engine fires started that way. It's also very volitile due to it's really low vapor point, so it evaporates quick. So it's also not a good idea to have in the cabin because methanol vapors cause blindness, and if you are in a roll over flammable fuel can also enter the cabin. That's why it's important to have an externally vented tank to solve the vapor issue inside the cabin, and it'll drain the meth outside the car (still not optimal) incase of a roll. You can add a check valve or roll over valve to fix this second issue, but this is also why water would be more advantageous.
963mw331.00
      04-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #19
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

I think I'm going to give this a shot to help combat IAT's on my setup. I'm glad the OP got this working and is happy on his M2. I had WI on my supercharged e36 back in the day. It was a very simple setup by a company called coolingmist IIRC. This aquamist setup seems to be quite a bit nicer.
Appreciate 3
F87source7177.50
963mw331.00
      04-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I think I'm going to give this a shot to help combat IAT's on my setup. I'm glad the OP got this working and is happy on his M2. I had WI on my supercharged e36 back in the day. It was a very simple setup by a company called coolingmist IIRC. This aquamist setup seems to be quite a bit nicer.
Yup nothing better than aquamist imo, from the fittings to the failsafes, water tank, and spray strategy aquamist is the best.
      04-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #21
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

So where do I spray? I plan to do 50/50 mix. My charge pipe has a bung for nozzle. Do I just do one nozzle there, or spray before the intercooler too?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
So where do I spray? I plan to do 50/50 mix. My charge pipe has a bung for nozzle. Do I just do one nozzle there, or spray before the intercooler too?
Charge pipe, I don't recommend spraying pre intercooler because the intercooler has alot of ducting etc so it could cause the meth to fall out of suspension and pool in the intercooler which is bad. Also pre intercooler spraying to be successful has to be sprayed far enough away for the mixture to be fully atomized and dispersed into the air stream, I don't think the tic pipe is long enough on our cars to do so, plus you'd need to add a bung there too.

I recommend with aquamist run dual injectors, when you select your kit you can pick 3 sizes so use the formula on aquamist's website to determine the sizes you need. Just remember to learn a bit more about meth Injection before you do it.