BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Hidden exhaust mode in M2 (Traction Mode)

01-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #133
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Loved this mode but recently did an m4 gts dct software upgrade on my car and it took out this burble mode. The car shifts so much better and jerks so little that it's tough to give it up just to have the burble mode back
Does it still burble normally in sport/sport + like before? Does the software upgrade actually improve performance at all or just smooth out the tranny?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #134
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Loved this mode but recently did an m4 gts dct software upgrade on my car and it took out this burble mode. The car shifts so much better and jerks so little that it's tough to give it up just to have the burble mode back
Does it still burble normally in sport/sport + like before? Does the software upgrade actually improve performance at all or just smooth out the tranny?
It still burbles in sport and sport+. I also feel like it's produces a more aggressive sound in comfort when downshifting which I don't recall it doing before hand. It's silky smooth in low speeds and going from reverse to 1st. Doesn't buck at low speeds and I feel it's crisp at up shifting.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #135
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
For those concerned about using 'popcorn' mode and stability in wet etc. don't worry - the M2 traction control is very intrusive. too much so unfortunately. Its winter here with snow and ice everywhere and I drive with one click on the traction button at all times as it will barely let me get out on the corners in that mode before cutting in. With everything turned on its incredibly annoying. Obviously it was designed and tested on dry pavement situations.
This. The thing I miss most about my last car (Audi) was the traction/stability control. The only indication it was kicking in was the blinking light in the instrument panel - no abrupt jerkiness or loss of motivation, just smooth, maximum acceleration/cornering with all available grip. BMW could learn a lot from them about traction control.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #136
Em-Two
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
Quote:
For those concerned about using 'popcorn' mode and stability in wet etc. don't worry - the M2 traction control is very intrusive. too much so unfortunately. Its winter here with snow and ice everywhere and I drive with one click on the traction button at all times as it will barely let me get out on the corners in that mode before cutting in. With everything turned on its incredibly annoying. Obviously it was designed and tested on dry pavement situations.
This. The thing I miss most about my last car (Audi) was the traction/stability control. The only indication it was kicking in was the blinking light in the instrument panel - no abrupt jerkiness or loss of motivation, just smooth, maximum acceleration/cornering with all available grip. BMW could learn a lot from them about traction control.
Oh you mean like putting AWD on sports cars?
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #137
Mint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-Two View Post
Oh you mean like putting AWD on sports cars?

If you want a car that can't get it's tail out, pick up an Audi, Subaru or a volvo. Personally, I love getting the tail out in the lower-traction settings. I also find that in sport mode or comfort mode with all the nannies on the car handles exactly like you would probably appreciate. Dash lights just come on like a Christmas tree but the rear of the car stays planted.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #138
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep

I like getting the tail out & letting the smoke out of the tires as much as the next guy, but I also like being able to make maximum progress without the ecu intervening violently all the time and preventing any real fun.

I find the nannies come in far too early and far too intrusively on this car, same as the 335i I had a while back.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #139
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
LOL, Gimmethecash, are you still allowed to log on this site after posting that?

Audi's AWD is still the king of AWD.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #140
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep

Heh waiting for the but I really wish BMW would improve or at least back off on the TC a bit. Violent chop of throttle if the tires so much as think of making a squeak, even in sport+ mode, is really annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #141
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Heh waiting for the but I really wish BMW would improve or at least back off on the TC a bit. Violent chop of throttle if the tires so much as think of making a squeak, even in sport+ mode, is really annoying.
yes it is 100%. I had an S4 and the thing was slightly nose heavy and slower than the M2 but good grief was it fun with one click on the traction control. it's like somebody actually thought about how you wanted to drive it with clicking the traction control button once - meaning - I want to get tail happy and drive hard and I ONLY want you to mess with me if I'm going to crash or over rotate NOT the moment I start to rotate (BMW) as THAT is the ENTIRE point of one click on traction. Porsche is the absolute best at this. the new cayman was amazing and let you slide and spin all over the place and it seemed to know if you knew what you were doing and let you have fun the entire time without having to shut it off completely. I agree with the above comment - BMW could learn a lot from Audi and everyone it seems. Still love my M2 don't get me wrong but some constructive criticism
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #142
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
yes it is 100%. I had an S4 and the thing was slightly nose heavy and slower than the M2 but good grief was it fun with one click on the traction control. it's like somebody actually thought about how you wanted to drive it with clicking the traction control button once - meaning - I want to get tail happy and drive hard and I ONLY want you to mess with me if I'm going to crash or over rotate NOT the moment I start to rotate (BMW) as THAT is the ENTIRE point of one click on traction. Porsche is the absolute best at this. the new cayman was amazing and let you slide and spin all over the place and it seemed to know if you knew what you were doing and let you have fun the entire time without having to shut it off completely. I agree with the above comment - BMW could learn a lot from Audi and everyone it seems. Still love my M2 don't get me wrong but some constructive criticism
Single click on Audi TC = TC OFF but stability ON. So it won't get you into trouble, but engine wouldn't cut power.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #143
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Here's a video of my MPE exhaust tested/filmed by a friend. He shows several modes, including the 'COMFORT' + 'DSC OFF' mode. My M2 has a manual transmission. Of course it all sounds even better when on the move under load.

My older videos of the MPE cold start sequence:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1267721
1:14

i think i just came

Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      01-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #144
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 (MT/AW)

Thanks OP! I'm a +1 for the sound!!

I could only play in traffic this morning on the way to work (dull) but MAJOR difference for sure. However, I couldn't tell the difference between going from Comfort -> Traction versus Sport+ -> Traction...

Can other people comment on if it sounds different to them depending on coming from Comfort -> Tractions versus other combinations?

Cheer,s LP
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #145
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpak View Post
Thanks OP! I'm a +1 for the sound!!

I could only play in traffic this morning on the way to work (dull) but MAJOR difference for sure. However, I couldn't tell the difference between going from Comfort -> Traction versus Sport+ -> Traction...

Can other people comment on if it sounds different to them depending on coming from Comfort -> Tractions versus other combinations?

Cheer,s LP
The quick press of the traction button to enable the extra burbles always reverts the car back into Comfort Mode no matter what mode you were in when you pressed it, no doubt that will be why you can't tell any difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #146
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
The quick press of the traction button to enable the extra burbles always reverts the car back into Comfort Mode no matter what mode you were in when you pressed it, no doubt that will be why you can't tell any difference.
This is the way I understood things too. Once you quick-press the DSC button, there is no memory of the mode you used to be in (i.e., comfort, sport or sport+). -scr
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #147
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Let's not forget that the head of the M group was a lifer at Audi before joining BMW.
      01-19-2017, 01:16 AM   #148
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 (MT/AW)

Quote:
Actually surprising, this is my first BMW and after all the drift vids and my dealer telling me "go easier, this ain't a subaru anymore", i was pretty timid at first. But, tbh, sport+ and traction modes are pretty tame. You have to give the steering a good push with some heavy throttle and then the computer goes "ok lets slide" but you know there is enough power lower down to do it, it just won't let you. DSC off only solution here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Thanks, wasn't sure if this was a true easter egg (ie where pathway mattered) or a feature but, checking the mode definitions (see http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1304767), MDM mode is meant to have "comfort sound", which it clearly does not! awesome stuff!
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #149
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Okay, in the thread with the F87 mode configuations, it shows Transmission configurations too...

Why is it that we are stuck with the middle range of modes when we want the car for ourselves. It looks like those with DCT can only get Sport throttle and 2 Shift control with DSC off. I get DCTs are quick, but i want mode 3(as you apparently get in Sport +) and Sport + throttle with no nannies sometimes. I understand Sport throttle provides a smoother input but WTH BMW...

In the the E60 M5, you got a 6th shift mode in the SMG with all traction controls off. DSC Off. and Damn is that 6th mode a beast. It was an easter egg almost.

You could all 5 shift modes in D or S modes...
But then a 6th Shift mode would pop up with DSC off in S(Manual Mode), that was neat.

Here is a link as to what I am talking about:
https://youtu.be/yRVKRpBx9B4
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #150
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
I'll be quite honest not a fan of this mode. Doesn't sound like a burble to me but more like a lot of built up back pressure making the exhaust sound like it's broken. I prefer sport +. But that's just me
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #151
littleoldman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: incoming M2 - sold 335D Sport
Location: 1988 M3, 2006 330 Conv (ZCP), 2008 535Xi, 2011 335D Sport

just wondering - when you get in a cold car and rev the engine to those high RPM''s...isnt that bad for the engine? I was always told not to do that? Are M2's different?

Love the noise, but damaging the car might be a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #152
Fab_R
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 / Audi S3 8V Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman View Post
just wondering - when you get in a cold car and rev the engine to those high RPM''s...isnt that bad for the engine? I was always told not to do that? Are M2's different?

No not good... Don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #153
riottyp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I tried it yesterday. And: DAMN. Thats just sexy!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:56 AM   #154
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman View Post

You dont rev your engine on the cold start, but you can use this mode while car is still cold without a problem.
Just dont go past 2.5k-3k rpm until your car warms up properly.
Appreciate 0