BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Muffler delete

05-16-2022, 07:17 AM   #1
Dozer324
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Muffler delete

Can’t seem to find much info on a muffler bypass with the stock down pipe. Would it be similar to the mpe with the valves open?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Do it right and get an exhaust. Dinan axel back at min.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #3
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Do it right and get an exhaust. Dinan axel back at min.
So the fab speed muffler bypass exhaust is not doing it right because of drone or? The dinan axel back is essentially straight pipes when the valve is open.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #4
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer324 View Post
So the fab speed muffler bypass exhaust is not doing it right because of drone or? The dinan axel back is essentially straight pipes when the valve is open.
The Dinan has almost no drone, especially if you leave the resonator in place. I personally run a fabspeed sport cat, Dinan res delete, and Dinan axle back. It drones with the valve open, but I run the macht schnell valve delete specifically so I can run with the valve closed (about 70% of my driving) in any drive mode. With the valve closed there is almost no drone. Without a sport cat, there is no meaningful drone in either valve position.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:15 PM   #5
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Thought you were talking just hacking it off
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Can’t seem to find much info on a muffler bypass with the stock down pipe. Would it be similar to the mpe with the valves open?
Have you seen these videos?

MPE with the valves open is a brighter sound, and will have more drone as well, it's a common complaint.

Drone is usually a product of a missing resonator + aftermarket exhaust. I have the stock box with a Fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete and NO DRONE whatsoever. So drone is basically a function of aftermarket exhausts, for whatever reason, paired with the resonator delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #7
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Have you seen these videos?

MPE with the valves open is a brighter sound, and will have more drone as well, it's a common complaint.

Drone is usually a product of a missing resonator + aftermarket exhaust. I have the stock box with a Fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete and NO DRONE whatsoever. So drone is basically a function of aftermarket exhausts, for whatever reason, paired with the resonator delete.
Thanks for sharing the videos. The more I think about what exhaust to get the more I lean towards just keeping the stock and pressing the traction mode on!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the videos. The more I think about what exhaust to get the more I lean towards just keeping the stock and pressing the traction mode on!
I left the stock box but got a Fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete, then locked the valves open and got some decent tips. Hard to say I could be happier, and I suppose I could with a Remus, but for the price difference, I can't justify it.

Always do the down-pipe first. Many guys don't even want an aftermarket exhaust after doing the DP. It'll give you more volume and more sound artifacts for sure. If you choose a catted DP then you'll have a warmer tone, and no CEL (Fabspeed), or catless will give you a brighter tone and you'll get a CEL.

Then comes the tune, as again, it'll give you more volume and sound artifacts (don't ask me how), but it does.

The combination of the two keeps a lot of guys from having to buy a full exhaust, and many of those that buy the exhaust first, then get the DP and tune find it too aggressive.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2022, 04:45 AM   #9
Lubanko
Rep

Yeah definitely go with Dinan, my buddy got a fabspeed for his and ngl it sounded like sh*t lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 07:13 AM   #10
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Surely one can easily get a muffler delete by leaving the car parked overnight in a dodgy area?
Appreciate 0