BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > S55 Engine Swap

05-12-2016, 02:54 AM   #1
747flyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 2012 550i M

S55 Engine Swap

Question for the experts; Is S55 Engine swap possible on M2.

There are several complete S55 engines with low miles available (including ECU and sub-components). I am having the wild thought purchasing M2 and mounting S55 engine. Any ideas, thoughts on such possibility would be appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 04:19 AM   #2
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Would be possible if you have the $$$

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/02/ac-...s-bmw.html?m=1
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/03/01/ac...va-motor-show/
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747flyboy View Post
Question for the experts; Is S55 Engine swap possible on M2.

There are several complete S55 engines with low miles available (including ECU and sub-components). I am having the wild thought purchasing M2 and mounting S55 engine. Any ideas, thoughts on such possibility would be appreciated.

Of course it's possible, but I'd honestly question if it's worth the money.

What are you trying to gain that a worlds-cheaper turbo upgrade won't get you?
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Let BMW M do that for you: M2 CS (MY 2018).
      05-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
747flyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Artemis,

Please esplain....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
automotiveaperture
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Let BMW M do that for you: M2 CS (MY 2018).
Please tell me it's true good sir! Fingers crossed.

This is such a polarizing topic. In one camp are the "because awesome" group (when does a motor swap ever make significant performance, let alone financial sense). That's me, I don't like M cars because they're so practical, efficient, affordable, etc. they're about fun and how they make you feel. So I don't like that BMW "makes" me feel like I'm not getter a real M motor, all jokes about the s55 being a hyped up n55 aside

In the other camp are the more realistic, practical folks who don't care if it's not an "S" motor. Slap a pure turbo in and a tune and you'll be keeping up with or bettering M4s. Need to be more like this group. Can't wait to test drive the M2... May end up parting with my s65 motor for it. Or... S65 swap? Stroker?
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747flyboy View Post
Artemis,
Please explain....
Quote:
Originally Posted by automotiveaperture View Post
Please tell me it's true good sir! Fingers crossed.
For some speculation: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1228342
      05-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anything is possible. To get the engine installed in the car is the least problem here. It's fundamentally the same architecture, so expect engine mounts etc to be a direct swap.

Where you start facing issues will be with adapting the engine wiring harness needed for the S55 engine and mating it with the wiring harness in the M2. And then you need to get the proper software installed... Either by getting S55 software/mapping in the M2 dme or by using a S55 dme and have that set up with your M2's VIN etc. Since you can't order a S55 dme with a M2 VIN number from BMW, you need to change the VIN afterwards... And with the security and encryption built in, it takes some expertise and work to mate a S55 dme to your M2.

If it's possible to remap a M2 dme with S55 software then that would be the better solution I guess.

Modern cars that have CAN bus electric systems are also way more complicated to do these kinds of transplants on than a "good old" E30 with a M5 engine etc.

Manhart in Germany do these kinds of engine swaps all the time. But it's expensive and time consuming. Expect it to cost just as much as you paid for the M2... The cost of the S55 engine is probably the least expensive part of the swap... (Unless you do all the labour, software work etc yourselves)
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #10
747flyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the reply.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
I posted this over on 1addicts as this mostly pertains to the E82:

If you are planning on doing the swap, a few things have to be addressed. Firstly, steering. The subframe mounting can stay the same, but if you are planning on keeping the OEM plumbing for the turbos, it won't work. The rear turbo inlet will hit the frame, so custom fabrication is required. Secondly, the top-mounted heat exchanger won't clear the factory hood. It will either be necessary to have an aftermarket hood, or seek alternative cooling solutions (such as the typical front mounted intercooler with the secondary cooling system deleted). Then there is the steering. The location to bolt a power steering pump to the S55 interestingly enough exists, thus making either a swap to an existing F80/F82 possible, or a swap of the S55 into an older hydraulic steering vehicle less complicated. A "crossover" module for PT-CAN information will have to be installed and coded to intercept the bus information to convert to the older style cluster and FRM. Dynamic shifting has to be coded off, otherwise every time you go to downshift, it will redline the engine due to the transmission not having individual gear sensors. DSC will also need to be tweaked for different power input. There are other small physical compatibly issues, as well electrical/coding hurdles, but that's the basics of it.

Also, You also have to double up the fuel feed lines and put in a T connection with a fuel line suitable for low pressure. The S55 has two high pressure fuel pumps that need equal feed pressure. In terms of cooling, the heat exchanger coolant reservoir must be relocated to the drivers side (instead of in the back) to clear the hood properly. If anyone has any more questions, feel free to message me.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #12
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
I posted this over on 1addicts as this mostly pertains to the E82:

If you are planning on doing the swap, a few things have to be addressed. Firstly, steering. The subframe mounting can stay the same, but if you are planning on keeping the OEM plumbing for the turbos, it won't work. The rear turbo inlet will hit the frame, so custom fabrication is required. Secondly, the top-mounted heat exchanger won't clear the factory hood. It will either be necessary to have an aftermarket hood, or seek alternative cooling solutions (such as the typical front mounted intercooler with the secondary cooling system deleted). Then there is the steering. The location to bolt a power steering pump to the S55 interestingly enough exists, thus making either a swap to an existing F80/F82 possible, or a swap of the S55 into an older hydraulic steering vehicle less complicated. A "crossover" module for PT-CAN information will have to be installed and coded to intercept the bus information to convert to the older style cluster and FRM. Dynamic shifting has to be coded off, otherwise every time you go to downshift, it will redline the engine due to the transmission not having individual gear sensors. DSC will also need to be tweaked for different power input. There are other small physical compatibly issues, as well electrical/coding hurdles, but that's the basics of it.

Also, You also have to double up the fuel feed lines and put in a T connection with a fuel line suitable for low pressure. The S55 has two high pressure fuel pumps that need equal feed pressure. In terms of cooling, the heat exchanger coolant reservoir must be relocated to the drivers side (instead of in the back) to clear the hood properly. If anyone has any more questions, feel free to message me.
Sounds like a weekend project.
Appreciate 0