BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Attack of the Pollen...

03-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Attack of the Pollen...

Ok, so obviously it's Spring here in the U.S and wow is the pollen going crazy. Anyone have advice on getting it off the cars without having to do a full wash or any other tips?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

I'll jump in here. Lived in suburb of Chicago with lots of trees and know of the battle.
Some may differ, but I kept a several layers of wax ON the car as much as I could. It sat outside as well. But kept "on top" of the pollen issue a LOT.

If it gets wet and hardens of course then it's full wash battle gear. But I also used a hand leaf blower, to carefully get pollen out of cowl area in front of windscreen, and from in the crevices; because as soon as you wash it, or it rains, -- the water runs that stuff into every nick and cranny, and then it builds up.
Hate to say it, but often it was full wash. Many days, I could use a very clean, kept clean Griot's full microfiber duster to lighten the load. Know I will get flamed for that, but I am a detail nut, and kept the wax layers built up so as the dusting produced swirls, they were easily buffed out as they were in the wax, not the paint for corrections. Washed the duster a LOT...but it kept buildup at bay. Good luck with earth's dandruff.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The struggle is real
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50
      03-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Ah so it's pollen that has decided to stick to the beadmaker top coat!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I'm in Florida so we've been dealing with the pollen for a couple of months now. Even keeping my car in the garage it gets pretty bad. I keep it waxed and decently clean. When the pollen bugs me I have one of those california type car dusters that'll get most of it off. It's not perfect but seeing the thing covered with pollen 2 days after a good wash gets the best of me.............
Appreciate 0