12-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #23
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Thanks all. You'd think with a device this expensive they would have some type of tracking or app that could show you the keys last location.
But that would go counter to them making money.

Try different dealers, the prices may be different. That worked for me in the case of Nissan dealers.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #24
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
No coding required AFAIK, the new key will come with pre programmed for your car.
And what about the lost key? Is there no longer a need to disable it for the car? The handbook for my car says: "A lost remote control can be blocked by the Service Centre.".

Quote:
You'd think with a device this expensive they would have some type of tracking or app that could show you the keys last location.
People would rather appreciate some type of tracking or app that could show them the car's current location by the key. (Just to return it. )

Quote:
You'd have to provide proof of ownership and many more personal details about yourself confirming your identity
That's vast! How many more? Do they even know anything about your identity before you tell them all those details? I would believe a proof of ownership must be enough.

Quote:
There is absolutely no need for them to get their hands on your keys or VIN. They can literally just find a nice car outside of a coffee shop and wait for the owner to come out to unlock their car.
"That is so old." AFAIK that doesn't work anymore: modern keys use that "one time session id" trick to prevent just repeating. Welcome to SSL and all that communication security stuff.

Quote:
Then they'll use a device that acts as a signal repeater/relay which clones the key signal. Then they can follow you to your home or office, write down where you live and come back while you're at work or sleeping and just hop right in without setting an alarm off or breaking a window.
It does not clone (record to replicate, I mean) the key signal. It only makes it stronger so it can reach the car as if the key were close enough. Real time. They need to hop right on your lap for that to work because the key has very limited range. You'd better mind strangers rubbing against you even if you find them attractive.

Quote:
I've seen plenty of security footage of people having this happen to them.

Why does that sucker leave to return? Didn't he even know the signal was needed to start the car, not just to unlock it? One must be really stupid to buy a car instead of simply taking anyone he likes these days. Don't store your key fob in your entrance hall. Put it in a safe place like between yourself and your wife in bed instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
380 isn't terrible actually. My wife lost the key fob for her Nissan Murano about 10 years ago , just a regular fob with a key no comfort entry and it was more than that to get the fob and key plus programming.
10 years ago a key fob (a remote control rather than a key you would insert to start the engine) must've been rare and thus expensive! Porsche still doesn't offer a pure fob, AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I u see a car following you driving fast that should ring some alarm bells
Make sure it's not a police car ringing it's alarm "bells".
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #25
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
I can unlock my M2 with my Apple Watch if my iPhone is not around or lost or stolen.
REALLY? My Apple Watch tells me to sign in on my iPhone first
Guess I’d be SOL since I’m already signed in
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #26
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 788MorDeath View Post
Quote:
I can unlock my M2 with my Apple Watch if my iPhone is not around or lost or stolen.
REALLY? My Apple Watch tells me to sign in on my iPhone first
Guess I’d be SOL since I’m already signed in
You need an Apple Watch with LTE SERVICE.
      12-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #27
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Only other person that could drive my car would be the wife...and lol, that's not happening.

She went to the same driving school as many women I know...the Drive by Feel Academy for Lady Drivers.
I resemble that remark.

I have a mini panic attack every time my husband says, "Can I take your car?" I want to say NOOOOO! It's MINE! It's MINE! You're a terrible driver! I revoke your driving rights. Begone!

This thread has given me an idea though. Maybe he should "lose" his key... Fantastic "problem" you have here.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #28
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dealer has you by the balls on this one. No other way.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #29
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I lost one in the snow earlier this year.

I now lock the key in my trunk and unlock the car with my iPhone.
My car doesn't let me do this - the trunk beeps and does not lock when I leave/forget my key in the trunk. Did you override that feature?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #30
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Quote:
Dealer wants to charge $380 and wasn't sure if any additional coding would be necessary beyond that (only talked to the parts guy).

Anyone know a more affordable way to do this?
Just ordered a replacement key for my e90. Has not arrived yet, so I can't provide a personal recommendation. You would need to order the fob and blade separately:
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/407...z-66129312540/
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/161...d-51217268293/

total of $325 so not much of a savings, and I think you need to have the comfort access programmed by the dealer anyway, so possibly more in the end anyway. Like others said, probably better to pay the fee from the dealer and ensure you get what you need.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #31
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Thanks all. You'd think with a device this expensive they would have some type of tracking or app that could show you the keys last location.
https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #32
VBM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
You should check and see if your car insurance will cover the replacement. Nationwide has covered replacing my Land Rover keys twice when the rubber wore out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #33
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBM2 View Post
You should check and see if your car insurance will cover the replacement. Nationwide has covered replacing my Land Rover keys twice when the rubber wore out.
Doesn't one key cost less than your typical deductible?
You're just giving them reason to increase your premium on your next renewal.
Appreciate 0