BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AP S55 Front Mount Intakes Installed

09-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
Foyc55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: HS M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
if the filters were smaller you could avoid most of the issues about blocking the radiator, it's an interesting way to get cooler air though.
This is coming from one of the best in the industry. (Mike Radowski)
Attached Images

09-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #24
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

What kind of gains do you see with this setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #25
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
i'd much rather have small scoops installed in the grille than the filters. removing the grille to service the filters is a PITA and is just not that good of a design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
What kind of gains do you see with this setup?
by itself, it shouldn't be much. they just make better noise. dyno's typically show only a small gain at the wheels - something that can be attributed to temperature or the ECU making an adaptation tweak or changes in the seasonal gasoline. on my N55, my gruppem intake registered a 4whp gain. its cheaper to upgrade the filter and ram air into the intake chamber to get the same power gains. you just won't get the eyecandy or intake sounds.

i wonder if anyone's tried wrapping the OEM intake pipes and filter covers in CF.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #26
bfayard
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Hey how did the front mount intakes hold up? I’m about 2 hours away from
The shop you took yours to and was thinking about running this set up? Are you still running this or did you change. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #27
Foyc55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfayard View Post
Hey how did the front mount intakes hold up? I'm about 2 hours away from
The shop you took yours to and was thinking about running this set up? Are you still running this or did you change. Thanks!
They held up great dude. They look good and sound good and never had any problems whatsoever. If you're willing to make the trip to Yuriy's shop, he is very familiar with the car now and will treat you very well. Since you're somewhat far and probably wouldn't want to drop your car off, you could schedule a Saturday in the future and he will do everything right there in front of you. Txt me if you want and I can give you his cell. Mine is 609-335-1324.
      07-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #28
bfayard
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Awesome that’s great to hear, I just Maps’d the drive and it would be closer to 5 hours one way for me lmao. I might take you up on your offer if my shop struggles to install it or something, thanks for the reply man I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #29
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

From an engineering standpoint, I'm sorry, this is a fail. First of all, putting conical or cylindrical air filters at the front without some sort of closed housing in hopes of some sort of ram air effect is nearly hopeless. If you imagine the amount of air striking the air filter and being directed through into the intake rather than deflecting, it is much much more effective to engineer a tunnel/scoop to lead air into a closed cavity housing the air filter so that the increased air pressure can be absorbed more equally along its entire surface area.

On top of this, as others have mentioned you are also undoubtedly restricting airflow onto your radiator. Whether or not the effect is negligible can be calculated but it is definitely > 0.

This set up solves zero issues and actually deters efficiency. This set up will without a doubt make less power than stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #30
Foyc55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
From an engineering standpoint, I'm sorry, this is a fail. First of all, putting conical or cylindrical air filters at the front without some sort of closed housing in hopes of some sort of ram air effect is nearly hopeless. If you imagine the amount of air striking the air filter and being directed through into the intake rather than deflecting, it is much much more effective to engineer a tunnel/scoop to lead air into a closed cavity housing the air filter so that the increased air pressure can be absorbed more equally along its entire surface area.

On top of this, as others have mentioned you are also undoubtedly restricting airflow onto your radiator. Whether or not the effect is negligible can be calculated but it is definitely > 0.

This set up solves zero issues and actually deters efficiency. This set up will without a doubt make less power than stock.
Go tell Mike Radowski then. All you "engineers" should go tell him and ask him why he has them on his world record f80. I had the fastest known M2 competition in the world and these intakes did not hold the car back whatsoever. Go share your opinion on another thread, thanks.
      07-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #31
Foyc55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post

And to your last paragraph... as an experiment, we took them off and ran aftermarket filters with stock intakes and ran .2seconds slower 60-130. Not to mention intake temps were 4-6 degrees higher. Therefore I assure you stock filters/intakes will not make more power.
      07-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #32
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyc55 View Post
Go tell Mike Radowski then. All you "engineers" should go tell him and ask him why he has them on his world record f80. I had the fastest known M2 competition in the world and these intakes did not hold the car back whatsoever. Go share your opinion on another thread, thanks.
Ah, the ever-anecdotal opinion. I'd be glad to tell whoever this Mike guy is and maybe teach him a thing or two about aerodynamics or laminar flow or any basic physics lessons that would tell any decent engineer that a ram air system lacking postive air pressure around the air filter element ie. a housing is a terrible idea. The point that he may or may not have a successfully fast build is not due to this air filter design but rather despite its engineering shortcomings.

Last edited by tokki; 07-13-2020 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #33
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I had Gintani install mine

Had to take them off within 24 hours because when the engines weight shifted forward under braking, a pulley would hit the plastic intake piping.

Probably could have found a solution, but opted to just go with BMS
Appreciate 0