BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Engine oil plug not tight: Dealer

06-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Engine oil plug not tight: Dealer

I changed my oil yesterday mid way through the BMW service intervals as usual. When I tried to loosen the drain plug I was mortified to find that it wasn't even tight which caused me to look closely at the plug. The BMW dealer tech didn't even add the new copper crush washer. Beware of the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

To what extent was it leaking - despite the above?

If it didn't leak at finger tight with no washer, it's a relief...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #3
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
To what extent was it leaking - despite the above?

If it didn't leak at finger tight with no washer, it's a relief...
Fortunately it didn't leak. I think it was probably a little bit tighter after the oil change. I believe since the crush washer was ommitted it loosened up over the last 10 months. Of course that's just a guess.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      06-10-2022, 02:42 AM   #4
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Drain plug torque specs is like 25 nm (18 ft/ pound of torque)

So it's not supposed to be super tight

And this torque do not crush the washer, i changed mine of course but old one didn't look used…
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:07 AM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post

And this torque do not crush the washer, i changed mine of course but old one didn't look used…
Yes this torque spec does indeed crush the washer, but the amount it is crushed is extremely small you won't be able to discern it with the naked eye but using calipers you can detect the change.

If you do not change the crush washers they can leak (because they can't compress down any more to form around the drain pan and bolt head to plug up any gaps), and this causes owners to tend to tighten down the drain bolt a bit more to try and stop the leak. This over tightening of the drain bolt is what normally causes stripped oil pan threads. So never ever reuse old crush washers...
chris7197334.00
      06-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post

Yes this torque spec does indeed crush the washer, but the amount it is crushed is extremely small you won't be able to discern it with the naked eye but using calipers you can detect the change.

If you do not change the crush washers they can leak (because they can't compress down any more to form around the drain pan and bolt head to plug up any gaps), and this causes owners to tend to tighten down the drain bolt a bit more to try and stop the leak. This over tightening of the drain bolt is what normally causes stripped oil pan threads. So never ever reuse old crush washers...
Absolutely and with the oem mann filter the crush washer and gasket come with the filter so there is absolutely no reason to not replace it
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #7
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

That is actually not a problem. Maybe tech was just but more careful! That is encouraging.
Now go to Jiffy Lube and let us know how you feel when you try to unscrew their "work."
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #8
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Now go to Jiffy Lube and let us know how you feel when you try to unscrew their "work."
I guess with no physical dipstick there's no tube so they can't just suck it out of the sump.

On the plus side, this ought to mean they actually change more of the oil, and there's less chance of overfilling.

But yes...

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-12-2022 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0