BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rear tail light failure

06-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #89
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablom2c View Post
Well it looks like I jinxed myself haha… after about a year of the coding fix working, yesterday I noticed my rear left indicator was not working (did not get dash warning of course due to coding). It has been raining a lot lately over here, but there doesn't seem to be water inside the tail light. Maybe the humidity has something to do with it? The indicator looks like it was working but very very dim, in day light you can't see it but at night it is very faint you can see it up close. I saw a post that said to tap the tail light and I did a few times and then the indicator started working again normally. Is this a different fault to the coding fix? Should I check the wires or get a replacement headlight? Mine is a 2020 M2C. Are all the headlights that BMW replaces for free the same part number? There is no new updated version? Maybe there is more than one type of fault with these tail lights?
How and what did you change in the with coding?

That sounds like a programming issue, go back to "Expert Mode" under REM and change these four parameters to "active."

The reason your light flickers when the turn signal is illuminated is because the frequency of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is too slow. This change will eliminate that and give you working LED signals.
I used Carly to disable the bulb checks but I'm fed up with that app. I ordered a new adapter to use with Bimmercode and will try the expert mode configs maybe like you mention there is some coding missing there. But why would the indicator start working again after hitting the tail light?
      06-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #90
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well it looks like I jinxed myself haha… after about a year of the coding fix working, yesterday I noticed my rear left indicator was not working (did not get dash warning of course due to coding). It has been raining a lot lately over here, but there doesn't seem to be water inside the tail light. Maybe the humidity has something to do with it? The indicator looks like it was working but very very dim, in day light you can't see it but at night it is very faint you can see it up close. I saw a post that said to tap the tail light and I did a few times and then the indicator started working again normally. Is this a different fault to the coding fix? Should I check the wires or get a replacement headlight? Mine is a 2020 M2C. Are all the headlights that BMW replaces for free the same part number? There is no new updated version? Maybe there is more than one type of fault with these tail lights?

That sounds like a programming issue, go back to "Expert Mode" under REM and change these four parameters to "active."

The reason your light flickers when the turn signal is illuminated is because the frequency of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is too slow. This change will eliminate that and give you working LED signals.
I used Carly to disable the bulb checks but I'm fed up with that app. I ordered a new adapter to use with Bimmercode and will try the expert mode configs maybe like you mention there is some coding missing there. But why would the indicator start working again after hitting the tail light?
Honestly, I believe that was just a coincidence; the circuit board of which turn signal LEDs are embedded on are locked into place and is insulated from shock within the taillights, with layers of hard plastic, that knocking the outer shell really has no effect on the LEDs itself or it's power connection.

I wish I had saved all the photos I took because I had (literally) crack open a taillight just to examine its components and as you see from the photo below, the circuit board slides into a locking hardness and outer wire harness clips unto the taillight, which has no play or any gaps for water intrusion. By design, you can take a baseball bat to the taillights, crack the outer plastic open and the inner taillight LEDs would experience little or no physical shock and still function as normal.

I'm pretty sure you have a coding issue because I recognize the error you have. I experienced the same dimming/flickering turn signal prior to coding my pre-LCI incandescent settings to LEDs. The reason this happens is because the rear computer for the turn signals is sending the wrong modulation signal to the turn signals because it's assuming incandescent (not LEDs) are installed.

Try my coding suggestion, you really have nothing to lose. As long as your warranty is still active, BMW will still replace the taillights and whatever other components they feel like, an unlimited number of times until the warranty expires, if you are not satisfied with the results but I'm certain the proper coding will correct this issue.

I never tried Carly so I can't speak on that but I know BimmerCode is extremely intuitive and so worth the $30. Their customer service is also helpful and respond almost immediately, so you certainly get your money's worth IMHO.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 10:13 PM   #91
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Is the PCB easy to remove? If I have this problem I will remove the PCB and check all the resistors, the SOT-23 FET, and the larger driver or FET with tab.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:08 AM   #92
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Is the PCB easy to remove? If I have this problem I will remove the PCB and check all the resistors, the SOT-23 FET, and the larger driver or FET with tab.
The taillights are glued together in different layers, you'll just ruin a perfectly good taillight trying to pry it open it, as they are not designed to be serviceable.

I cracked open mines because it was on the marketplace for over 3 months and I got tired of looking at them, so I said 'fvck it.'

There is a easier way to test the fully functionality of the taillight turn signals, the ISTA+ software has a diagnostic menu under "Exterior Light Check" to complete a full test, which bounces back any equipment faults, including resistors or ICs. But it's a waste of time because there is obviously nothing wrong with every single LCI M2/240i/Competition taillight every produced since 2017; the problem is coming from inside the house..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #93
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

So it’s been several days since the REM module replacement and the tail lights are working fine.

Now, I have no doubt, this will come back again. The obvious question is why?

My suspicion is a combination of things - bad coding which is maybe permitting too low a threshold to trigger a warning after some sort of thermal, age or moisture related impact.

When the tail light and/or REM module is changed out things work again, until the same thermal/age/moisture issues eventually result in a false trigger that otherwise would not happen with proper coding.

I’m no engineer or programmer. But this is the best rationale I can come up with.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
ESB1043.50
      06-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #94
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Just had my left do it today (normally its the right). It was raining hard. But the weird thing was that the warning came up but the blink was totally fine (was not quick blinking like it did the other times), it was weird. Car off and car back on then no more problems. This is such a weird problem and so annoying that bmw just decided to do nothing about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 01:30 AM   #95
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Honestly, I believe that was just a coincidence; the circuit board of which turn signal LEDs are embedded on are locked into place and is insulated from shock within the taillights, with layers of hard plastic, that knocking the outer shell really has no effect on the LEDs itself or it's power connection.
I give my turn light a smack every time it stops working / goes to low level flash that we all know about - and it immediately works fine, so I'm not the only one and it does effect something, it's not coincidence. and in my case (and others) this means there is some physical issue with the lamp unit.

The M2C always does it after wash or heavy rain - but no signs of moisture in the connectors or wiring loom or lamp housing.

The "fast flash" (and matching fast audio tick tick tick in the cabin) in my understanding is a programmed fault mode to alert the driver to the fault. It replicates the old days where cars had thermal flasher units that would naturally flash at a higher speed when a lamp failed and the load was reduced.

Good to see inside the lamp, I'm suprised the LEDs are wired and aren't on surface mount PCBs or tracks like my old 2009 E90 LCI rear LEDs were, on those moisture used get in and delaminate the thin flexi tracks causing LEDs to fail - but no fail warning was given on the E90.

I'm thinking to buy a set of later tail lamps anyway with the dark reverse lamp etc, so that may fix it - for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #96
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
I give my turn light a smack every time it stops working / goes to low level flash that we all know about - and it immediately works fine, so I'm not the only one and it does effect something, it's not coincidence. and in my case (and others) this means there is some physical issue with the lamp unit.
If simply tapping the taillight's outer plastic made the inner connectors and electronics susceptible to shock or vibration, then every time you hit a pothole or an undulated roads surface, your taillights would flicker from being physically volatile. You really believe a manufacture as high a caliber as BMW would be that sloppy with their lighting design. Taillights are safety component, they are naturally engineered to be insulated from outer intrusion, such as a lite impact.

The LED company that supplies the components for the taillights state that criteria was that lights had to continue to operate after a crash of under 40mph.

I know it's impossible to accept but this issue is the result of a programming error. The physical taillights are just fine. The flickering is sporadic and random, so it can mess with your assessment. Tapping on the taillights would not make any difference other than giving you a false-positive feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #97
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know it's impossible to accept but this issue is the result of a programming error. The physical taillights are just fine. The flickering is sporadic and random, so it can mess with your assessment.
It's clearly not. Not a single car has done this right off the lot. Majority affected are higher mileage.

I’m sure the coding bandaid works, I am not disputing that.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #98
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
I know it's impossible to accept but this issue is the result of a programming error. The physical taillights are just fine. The flickering is sporadic and random, so it can mess with your assessment.
It's clearly not. Not a single car has done this right off the lot. Majority affected are higher mileage.

I'm sure the coding bandaid works, I am not disputing that.
Well then, just keep swapping taillights every time you get an oil chance because obviously seems to be the solution..

Your car, your choice.. Best of luck 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #99
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If simply tapping the taillight's outer plastic made the inner connectors and electronics susceptible to shock or vibration, then every time you hit a pothole or an undulated roads surface, your taillights would flicker from being physically volatile. You really believe a manufacture as high a caliber as BMW would be that sloppy with their lighting design. Taillights are safety component, they are naturally engineered to be insulated from outer intrusion, such as a lite impact.

The LED company that supplies the components for the taillights state that criteria was that lights had to continue to operate after a crash of under 40mph.

I know it's impossible to accept but this issue is the result of a programming error. The physical taillights are just fine. The flickering is sporadic and random, so it can mess with your assessment. Tapping on the taillights would not make any difference other than giving you a false-positive feedback.
100% wrong. As someone who just had this happen to me for the first time last week on my 2019, I can attest that the instant I "tapped" on the tail light it immediately went back to operating properly. I have no idea why but I know for a fact it worked.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      06-10-2022, 08:41 PM   #100
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Programming is only part of the story, IMO

Something clearly changes. Brand new - these parts work fine. Something changes and then they don’t. So there is some kind of hardware issue.

At the same time, there has to be a coding issue as well - why else would changing parameters resolve the problem with no downside?

I really think it’s a combination of errors/design flaws.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      06-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #101
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
Programming is only part of the story, IMO

Something clearly changes. Brand new - these parts work fine. Something changes and then they don’t. So there is some kind of hardware issue.

At the same time, there has to be a coding issue as well - why else would changing parameters resolve the problem with no downside?

I really think it’s a combination of errors/design flaws.
Yes, I believe you are correct. There is definitely something that happens over time with the cluster. I am also sure that the coding works around it. The only question is, is it forever and are there any side effects? So far, it seems like no.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 09:11 PM   #102
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well then, just keep swapping taillights every time you get an oil chance because obviously seems to be the solution..

Your car, your choice.. Best of luck ����
I did say the coding fixes or masks the issue. I'm not discouraging anyone from coding this, just pointing out that there is some kind of change that happens to the assembly over time. I did mostly defend your point of view against that Anthony1s nut, remember?

I work as an EE and have designed many LED drive circuits including PWM, so I'm not going to just ignore the fact that something is experiencing a parameter shift over time. Perhaps it is benign. If this happens to me, I will tear apart the bad one and find out once and for all what component changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #103
pjfernan
Registered
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

I used to have daily, the rear tail light malfunction for both taillights and since I code them about two weeks ago and have not had the notification message.
Problem solved and both turn signal are working fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 01:51 AM   #104
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

I finally managed to catch this issue on video. I found it very interesting that the right tail light reporting the malfunction actually still lit up, but was dimmer than the normal brightness. You can see in the film I switch to the left signal and the light is the normal brightness. A tap on the unit had no effect.

It's the only time I've been able to quickly pull over and record it, so I'm not sure if the turn signal always operates in a dimmed fashion like this or not when the error is displayed. I have not yet applied Poochie's proposed coding fix, but if this keeps up frequently I will certainly give it a whirl.

Also, in case someone notices, apologies in advance for parking in a handicapped spot. There were multiple other handicapped spots available, it was late at night, and I was only parked there for a minute or two.

Appreciate 3
CSBM52721.00
Kikuchiyo114.50
ESB1043.50
      06-14-2022, 05:06 AM   #105
zellatc
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Hi all,

I think I discussed this topic with other members in the OG forum, so here is again my 2 cents: I also got these errors in my LCI, first on the left side and some months later on the right. So eventually, I guess all 2 series will have this issue.

I simply cleaned thoroughly (with circuit cleaner and a toothbrush) both the light sockets an the loom pins, and I didn't have an error ever since (this was almost 1 year ago). In my case, there was no corrosion or signs of overload whatsoever.

So, give it a try.
Appreciate 4
CSBM52721.00
chris7197334.00
Rk-d598.50
pablom2c124.50
      06-15-2022, 03:59 AM   #106
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post
100% wrong. As someone who just had this happen to me for the first time last week on my 2019, I can attest that the instant I "tapped" on the tail light it immediately went back to operating properly. I have no idea why but I know for a fact it worked.

I've said before, as others say below, there's a physcial issue the progresses with these lights, maybe exacerbated by some not ideal REM coding.

Yes this coding helps to mask the issue when it arises, but as you then lose lamp fail warnings I put my coding back to OE, so when it fails I just jump out and give it a tap, it's fine for another week or two - more in the summer.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      06-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #107
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post

I've said before, as others say below, there's a physcial issue the progresses with these lights, maybe exacerbated by some not ideal REM coding.

Yes this coding helps to mask the issue when it arises, but as you then lose lamp fail warnings I put my coding back to OE, so when it fails I just jump out and give it a tap, it's fine for another week or two - more in the summer.
So when you see someone on the side of the road beating their taillights like a bongo, they are not crazy, they are simply trying to fix it..

All your guys with this issues shouldn't bother resolving it, you should instead just start a band.. 😂

…J/k…

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 01:37 PM   #108
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

ahahah I need to go play bongo in mine, its been really bad, every sing time this week so far and then goes away for like a 10 minutes and then back. Usually right side but I had the left do it once last week so that will probably start doing it too, I need to code it out
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #109
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wish I had saved all the photos I took because I had (literally) crack open a taillight just to examine its components and as you see from the photo below, the circuit board slides into a locking hardness and outer wire harness clips unto the taillight, which has no play or any gaps for water intrusion. By design, you can take a baseball bat to the taillights, crack the outer plastic open and the inner taillight LEDs would experience little or no physical shock and still function as normal.

I'm pretty sure you have a coding issue because I recognize the error you have. I experienced the same dimming/flickering turn signal prior to coding my pre-LCI incandescent settings to LEDs. The reason this happens is because the rear computer for the turn signals is sending the wrong modulation signal to the turn signals because it's assuming incandescent (not LEDs) are installed.

Try my coding suggestion, you really have nothing to lose. As long as your warranty is still active, BMW will still replace the taillights and whatever other components they feel like, an unlimited number of times until the warranty expires, if you are not satisfied with the results but I'm certain the proper coding will correct this issue.

I never tried Carly so I can't speak on that but I know BimmerCode is extremely intuitive and so worth the $30. Their customer service is also helpful and respond almost immediately, so you certainly get your money's worth IMHO.

Just did your programming with Bimmercode. The first 2 were not active and the last 2 were already set to active apparently by Carly from previous programming. Let's see how it goes but when I closed the car the indicator was dim again and guess what, I tapped it and it started working again :

Next time if it fails again I will record it !
      06-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #110
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

It happened again this morning and I recorded it, coding is done as indicated previously.

[IMG][/IMG]
chris7197334.00
bmxcamel554.00
blitzyo53.00
Kikuchiyo114.50
ESB1043.50