BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > M2 LCI Australia MY2018

09-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #155
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Congrats David.m, love your plates, was considering getting the same.
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      09-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #156
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Cheers, then I guess my driveway should be just fine.
Sorry for the questions... But how did you attach you front plate? Just 3M tape?
mate no problems with any questions. Used Bear "outdoor mounting" 12mm tape (uses include 'automotive trim'). I went with this as it's black, the 3M they had was white. I cut a piece of 3mm black perspex to use as a backing plate & used the tape to fix that to the car & tape to fix the plate to the perspex. If I had put the plate straight onto the car the edges of Kingpin cover would have pressed against the paintwork and I think over time marked it. Having said that it's coming off Monday for the ppf install, before putting back on I'll try to get more curve in the Kingpin cover to match the bumper profile (using a heat gun).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #157
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
One change with the LCI I've not read so far is that the reverse sensors/camera turn off immediately you disengage reverse gear, no need to select a forward gear or move forward.
Thanks David.m - I for one appreciate the help you've given (and continue to give). I'm curious to see how the camera/sensors work in the DCT.

I've already purchased the part anyway to manually activate/deactivate the camera/sensors so I'll probably install it. I have a similar switch (by default) in my X6 and I use the rear camera (as crap as it is) to check on stuff behind the rear of the car as the X6 has limited vision so the switch gets flicked a few times a week.

And beautiful car Looks menacing in black - love it!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #158
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

To those whose M2's that are on Carmen - looks like it'll arrive Mel sometime before noon tomorrow. Just past Portland.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #159
JLX
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
To those whose M2's that are on Carmen - looks like it'll arrive Mel sometime before noon tomorrow. Just past Portland.
jav_au
      10-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #160
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLX View Post
jav_au
kab_m2 & V.Smurf as well

btw, love your BSM M2!
Appreciate 1
JLX70.50
      10-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #161
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLX View Post
jav_au
kab_m2 & V.Smurf as well

btw, love your BSM M2!
Woot!
Appreciate 1
JLX70.50
      10-12-2017, 05:12 AM   #162
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I saw it pop up on the radar this evening ... I'd say it'll arrive by ~7am tomorrow.

When it was due to arrive on the 11th, I was planning on walking down to the docks during lunchtime to watch it unload ... but I'm out of town tomorrow, so I won't get to see it

I'll get in touch with the dealer next week and see what ETA they can provide.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #163
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Quote:
I saw it pop up on the radar this evening ... I'd say it'll arrive by ~7am tomorrow.

When it was due to arrive on the 11th, I was planning on walking down to the docks during lunchtime to watch it unload ... but I'm out of town tomorrow, so I won't get to see it

I'll get in touch with the dealer next week and see what ETA they can provide.
Can?t believe it?s almost here.
Sydney (Port Kembla) was initially scheduled for 11 Oct, now looks like it?s likely to be 15th, the Sunday. I?m hesitating if I should drive down there and watch it unload.
Yeah, hope the whole customs process goes smooth. But it?s unlikely we?re getting in by end of this month I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #164
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Can?t believe it?s almost here.
Carmen is under the control of a pilot from the Port of Melbourne now. She had been doing loops outside the heads for a few hours, so should be docked ishortly. At least its a Friday and so the chances are she'll get unloaded today.
Quote:
Sydney (Port Kembla) was initially scheduled for 11 Oct, now looks like it?s likely to be 15th, the Sunday. I?m hesitating if I should drive down there and watch it unload.
You've put a bit of energy into watching it online Why not go watch it unload? If I was around town I would ... I think its all part of the fun
Quote:
Yeah, hope the whole customs process goes smooth. But it?s unlikely we?re getting in by end of this month I suppose?
I'm hoping that it comes by the 27th: I've got it booked in for some PPF then, and it'll be painful to move it to another date! Anyway, I'll see what the dealer has to say on Monday.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #165
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Melbs M2 catch-up soon with all these beauty?s arriving soon?
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf163.00
      10-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #166
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You've put a bit of energy into watching it online Why not go watch it unload? If I was around town I would ... I think its all part of the fun
Issue is I'm having an exam in about 10 days, and I tend to do last-minute study. So I kinda can't "waste" a day to watch the beauty unload. It was initially scheduled on today I actually considered to have a day off and go Port Kembla. Now most likely being on Sunday, I will definitely go in a heartbeat, if I didn't have this exam coming.
Quote:
I'm hoping that it comes by the 27th: I've got it booked in for some PPF then, and it'll be painful to move it to another date! Anyway, I'll see what the dealer has to say on Monday.
If no drama with the customs, I think 27th is viable I suppose.
I'll probably reach out to my dealer on Monday to check if I can get an ETA for delivery. Already talked to PPF and window tinting guys, but need an confirmed delivery date to work out when's the best time to drop off the car at the workshop.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #167
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
Melbs M2 catch-up soon with all these beauty?s arriving soon?
Sure - I'm in! Of the other forum members who have cars on the Carmen, I think only kab_m2 is Melbourne based ... nick_stp is in Sydney and jav_au is in Brisbane.

I've got LBB/DCT (+lumbar support & heated seats) coming ... but I don't know what the others have specified.

kab_m2 / nick_stp ... what did you guys order (colour/transmission/options..?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #168
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
kab_m2 / nick_stp ... what did you guys order (colour/transmission/options..?
I've got a LBB DCT, with sunroof, privacy glass, through-loading, CarPlay, lumbar support, seat heating, alarm. I think out of the options offered on M2, only 2 of them I didn't tick - steering wheel heating and smoker's package.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #169
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I've got a LBB DCT, with sunroof, privacy glass, through-loading, CarPlay, lumbar support, seat heating, alarm. I think out of the options offered on M2, only 2 of them I didn't tick - steering wheel heating and smoker's package.
Cheers.
Nice - and interesting choice of options. Of course LBB is the colour of choice

I decided not to bother with the sunroof as I've got sunroofs on both my existing cars (well, the Lexus is now gone) and they are never used. I find the sunroof to be noisy and eat into the headroom ... we test drove cars with & without the sunroof and its surprising how much headroom you loose for the sunroof! Of course, if you use the sunroof, these are worthwhile tradeoffs ... but if you don't, its a good saving to be had.

The dealer told me that the privacy glass is just darkened glass (it has no UV protection), and its impossible to match colour/shade of the tint. Hope you prove him wrong (on the matching of the colour)!

I do regret not getting the through loading - I don't care about the actual functionality (as in making the rear seat split 40/20/40 instead of the standard 60/40 split), but what it does give is a snazzy arm-rest for rear passengers and I think that's really worthwhile.

With the mixed reviews on Carplay, I decided that I'll try it down the track if the standard interface doesn't suit. It has the bonus of being cheaper if you buy it post delivery (no LCT / stamp duty etc). We're an Apple household, so I'm naturally inclined to buy it ... but we'll see.

I might actually take a walk down to the docks on Monday with my bino's and see what I can spot where the Carmen is docked (she's still travelling up Port Philip Bay).

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #170
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I decided not to bother with the sunroof as I've got sunroofs on both my existing cars (well, the Lexus is now gone) and they are never used. I find the sunroof to be noisy and eat into the headroom ... we test drove cars with & without the sunroof and its surprising how much headroom you loose for the sunroof! Of course, if you use the sunroof, these are worthwhile tradeoffs ... but if you don't, its a good saving to be had.
Personally I don't care that much about the sunroof, it was per wife's request She loves to have a sunroof and she was like how come a 10k car doesn't come with a sunroof
Quote:
The dealer told me that the privacy glass is just darkened glass (it has no UV protection), and its impossible to match colour/shade of the tint. Hope you prove him wrong (on the matching of the colour)!
Yes, it was just darkened glass. I didn't actually option for this one in the first place. My sales added it on by mistake, and I didn't bother to ask him to take it off... But I'll see how the tinting works out.
Quote:
I do regret not getting the through loading - I don't care about the actual functionality (as in making the rear seat split 40/20/40 instead of the standard 60/40 split), but what it does give is a snazzy arm-rest for rear passengers and I think that's really worthwhile.
Yeah I think it would come handy - though I don't think I'll have passengers in the back often.
Quote:
With the mixed reviews on Carplay, I decided that I'll try it down the track if the standard interface doesn't suit. It has the bonus of being cheaper if you buy it post delivery (no LCT / stamp duty etc). We're an Apple household, so I'm naturally inclined to buy it ... but we'll see.
No one knew it was possible to get it post delivery when I ordered, I thought I might just get it so I won't regret it. But yeah, there are bad & good reviews about CarPlay.
Quote:
I might actually take a walk down to the docks on Monday with my bino's and see what I can spot where the Carmen is docked (she's still travelling up Port Philip Bay).
Good luck finding your M2! But normally how long they'll stay at the dock? Until the customs clears?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 02:00 AM   #171
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I got LBB, DCT, sunroof, heated seats, lumbar, CarPlay, black grilles
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 02:10 AM   #172
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Bet you guys are getting a little excited! Hopefully customs will be quicker than they were for my car (& others off that ship), that last 4 weeks dragged on.

Have done almost 1400km and couldn't be happier. So glad I decided to get ppf, 2 days ago was moving along at 60kp/h with the traffic on a main 6 lane road when I saw what looked like a fist sized block of timber heading my direction, bounced off the road before impacting with the middle of my bonnet, top of windscreen & over. There were a couple of trucks around but not sure whether it fell from one or was kicked up, was like slow motion watching it coming but there was just too much traffic around me, would have caused a crash had I taken evasive action. Anyway it's left a couple of small marks on the ppf but no paint damaged, for now I'll live with the marks but it's a good feeling knowing that the repair is a simple remove/replace piece of film.

Just on the film, I had Suntek installed (by OziCozi at Artarmon) on the whole car except boot lid & roof (have a piece on front of roof from screen to sunroof), at least on BSM you cannot see any difference in finish between the boot lid and adjoining rear guards. I also think it looks a lot better without the lines of the oem ppf piece on the rear wheel arches. I've given the whole car a wax with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, was very easy to put on/polish off and gave outstanding results. A mate who has a new Mustang and was trying to talk me out of the ppf beforehand now, after seeing it on my car (well actually not seeing it!) is going to get the front of his car done. Properly installed the Suntek is invisible.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #173
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Seems like the Carmen has already unloaded and left Port Melbourne
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #174
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab_m2 View Post
Yes, left about 6 hours ago. Heading Sydney now.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #175
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab_m2 View Post
I watched her depart online this morning: she was well underway by 6am, which means now that our cars are sitting on Aussie soil kab_m2!

I'm guessing it'll take a couple of days for them to be cleared through customs, so I'm going to head down there during the week and try my hand a little bit of spotting!

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 02:12 AM   #176
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Bet you guys are getting a little excited! Hopefully customs will be quicker than they were for my car (& others off that ship), that last 4 weeks dragged on.
Indeed David.m - I for one really appreciate the advice you've offered. Its been a long wait, but with the car now on Aussie soil, the anticipation has been notched up a rung or two...
Quote:
... 2 days ago was moving along at 60kp/h with the traffic on a main 6 lane road when I saw what looked like a fist sized block of timber heading my direction, bounced off the road before impacting with the middle of my bonnet, top of windscreen & over. There were a couple of trucks around but not sure whether it fell from one or was kicked up, was like slow motion watching it coming but there was just too much traffic around me, would have caused a crash had I taken evasive action.
Incredible - I had to read this a couple of times to believe that this would happen. What are the odds after just getting your car...?
Quote:
Anyway it's left a couple of small marks on the ppf but no paint damaged, for now I'll live with the marks but it's a good feeling knowing that the repair is a simple remove/replace piece of film.
A great endorsement for the film BTW, the film installer that I spoke to said that Suntek, which you've said you have used, should be self healing: the advice he had (and I accept that this was offered as part of the sales pitch when I was deciding what to do) was that if the film gets marked, just put the car in the hot sun for a few hours and the film should cure itself. Is your film is too severely marked for that...? Or have I swallowed too much of the sales pitch..?
Quote:
Just on the film, I had Suntek installed (by OziCozi at Artarmon) on the whole car except boot lid & roof (have a piece on front of roof from screen to sunroof), at least on BSM you cannot see any difference in finish between the boot lid and adjoining rear guards.
That's the film that I am installing, but I'm not going to do such an extensive install: just the front bumper and headlights. The installer will do the door handle pits as he says that really helps with finger nail scratches.
Quote:
I've given the whole car a wax with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, was very easy to put on/polish off and gave outstanding results.
Mine's headed to my favourite detailer, Dan's Garage, for a full Opticoat treatment early November. Dan is a great guy, and I'm going to take a day off work to watch him go through the detail and to add a few bits to the car as part of the process.
Quote:
A mate who has a new Mustang and was trying to talk me out of the ppf beforehand now, after seeing it on my car (well actually not seeing it!) is going to get the front of his car done. Properly installed the Suntek is invisible.
I think that the advice is well meaning, but I guess you're super happy you did what you thought would suit you. The help/advice you've provided here has helped me firm up some of the bits 'n pieces of what I'll do with my M2 when it arrives ... I like shinny stuff so that's what'll happen to my car!

Cheers,
Appreciate 1
JLX70.50