BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 crash :( need advice

06-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #45
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Whatever nannies were on, they can only do so much on a powerful RWD car with wide summer tires going around a turn in the wet. One slip and physics takes over. Just be glad you walked away and didn't hurt anyone. Accidents happen.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #46
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm22018 View Post
thanks very much for the responses guys. spoke to a guy in the bodyshop today at the garage - he's said it will be repaired but has not had it up on ramps to check fully but doesn't think there is any structural damage underneath. Main things needing replaced will be front and rear near side suspension, alloys, door, sill and steering rack. said it is very unlikely to be written off or anything like that.

Will know for sure tomorrow all the damage then its just a case of waiting for the insurance company to give it the go ahead basically.

feeling a hell of a lot better that its most likely getting repaired but will find out more tomorrow.
I couldn't tell, did the rear quarter panel get hit too? Or just the door and the rocker?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #47
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Don't beat yourself up about the accident, feel thankful that it wasn't worse. You weren't hurt and no one else was either. At the end of the day, it's sheet metal and parts, not flesh and bones.

I'm a big believer in training, especially with a car this powerful. Take a good driver's safety course at a track that has a skid pad and competent instructors. It's a lot of fun. The learning curve is very steep at the beginning so you'll see noticeable improvement. And you'll gain a lot of respect for the car and an understanding of its limits.
Appreciate 3
      06-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #48
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

This is the worse... sorry OP.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #49
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Whatever nannies were on, they can only do so much on a powerful RWD car with wide summer tires going around a turn in the wet. One slip and physics takes over. Just be glad you walked away and didn't hurt anyone. Accidents happen.
???? Not saying the laws of physics can be ignored - but I think you are being dismissive of the nannies. Have you been to the PCD?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
???? Not saying the laws of physics can be ignored - but I think you are being dismissive of the nannies. Have you been to the PCD?
Contact with paint on a center line or even roadside edge when wet can definitely cause a quick spin.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #51
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Contact with paint on a center line or even roadside edge when wet can definitely cause a quick spin.
I've never been able to get it to kick out - even at the PCD. Then again, I was never doing it on a painted line and... if it had just started raining, the roads would have been mucho slick.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #52
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
I've never been able to get it to kick out - even at the PCD. Then again, I was never doing it on a painted line and... if it had just started raining, the roads would have been mucho slick.
And you would have most certainly left full DSC on for a trip to the market in such weather
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #53
bmwm22018
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quick update: spoken to the bodyshop - it will be repaired but going to cost around £18k of work. New suspension front and back, new steering rack, door, sill, alloys. part of the sub frame is very slightly bent but the guy said it can be strengthened to good as new.... going down tomorrow to find out more.

Good news is once insurance company give the go ahead and parts are there it will only take around 2 weeks according to the mechanic so i might be back on the roads sooner than expected. I have an advanced driving day booked in august where there will be track driving, including wet driving, and an instructor in the car with me which i think will be very useful.

Finally just want to thank everyone for being so supportive, never expected as much of a response, thank you all very much
Appreciate 5
DETRoadster11462.50
///M Houbi1655.00
STK215.50
randyt224.50
      06-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #54
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Quick update: spoken to the bodyshop - it will be repaired but going to cost around £18k of work. New suspension front and back, new steering rack, door, sill, alloys. part of the sub frame is very slightly bent but the guy said it can be strengthened to good as new.... going down tomorrow to find out more.

Good news is once insurance company give the go ahead and parts are there it will only take around 2 weeks according to the mechanic so i might be back on the roads sooner than expected. I have an advanced driving day booked in august where there will be track driving, including wet driving, and an instructor in the car with me which i think will be very useful.

Finally just want to thank everyone for being so supportive, never expected as much of a response, thank you all very much
Thanks for updating us! Happy to hear that it can be fixed and that your insurance is stepping up to take care of it. After all, this is why you write them a check every month, right?
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #55
Dan@AutoTalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Sorry to hear but as long as your okay in good health that's the only thing that matters at the end of the day. It'll get fixed and come back as good as new. Stay in good faith!
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #56
eddie_yvp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG)

Damn - scary stuff but glad to hear things are getting worked out. You said you only had the car for a couple of weeks? Maybe the tires weren't broken in yet?

This is my first RWD car as well and don't intend to drive it in really bad weather (have a beater SUV for that) but I've been starting to get a bit more aggressive. The other day when the road was a little slick I accelerated pretty hard in sport mode through a turn and thought I felt the rear start to kick out slightly before the nannies kicked it and straightened it out. Which seemed kind of fun.

But reading about your accident gives me pause - would hate to think these cars are really that volatile with all the nannies on. Regardless, I probably should take some kind of driver safety course - never a bad idea. Good luck with the repairs!
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #57
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
I'm late to the party on this one and I'm pleased to hear the OP is ok. But if that was my car and it needed that amount of work I'd sell it. In fact I'd have made sure they wrote it off. I'm not saying it can't be repaired, im not judging the guy who will do the work but personally I would never drive that car.

Sell it and buy a new one, plenty of amazing pants down deals on new M2 LCI in the UK at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #58
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
I'm late to the party on this one and I'm pleased to hear the OP is ok. But if that was my car and it needed that amount of work I'd sell it. In fact I'd have made sure they wrote it off. I'm not saying it can't be repaired, im not judging the guy who will do the work but personally I would never drive that car.

Sell it and buy a new one, plenty of amazing pants down deals on new M2 LCI in the UK at the moment.
Sell before or after fixing it? The car will have diminished value even if repaired to new and good luck selling a wrecked car. There is a lot of money to lose in selling it especially if the OP likes it well enough to keep it long term. But I do see the point here. No matter what this ends up being a costly mistake. Sorry OP!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

good call on the future trackday with an instructor.

Literally EVERY M2 owner should do this at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Thanks for updating us! Happy to hear that it can be fixed and that your insurance is stepping up to take care of it. After all, this is why you write them a check every month, right?
True Story! And sometimes the people at the insurance company are really COOL

Quote:

Thanks for your passion, but one does not ORDER their insurance company around. And you certainly cannot command an insurer to total your vehicle when it is actually repairable. The INSURANCE COMPANY (not the consumer) determines when a vehicle is a total loss..

if you don't believe me.... go read your policy (which most people never do.... they just THINK they know how insurance works.. )

If the car is deemed repairable and you don't want it any more.. that's a YOU PROBLEM. Once it is repaired you can sell it.
or.. heck.. don't even repair it.. Take your check for repairs and go to the dealership of your choice and make your best deal.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-14-2018 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
DETRoadster11462.50
AngryBaby344.50
      06-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #60
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

Thanks for your passion, but one does not ORDER their insurance company around. And you certainly cannot command an insurer to total your vehicle when it is actually repairable. The INSURANCE COMPANY (not the consumer) determines when a vehicle is a total loss..

if you don't believe me.... go read your policy (which most people never do.... they just THINK they know how insurance works.. )

If the car is deemed repairable and you don't want it any more.. that's a YOU PROBLEM. Once it is repaired you can sell it.
or.. heck.. don't even repair it.. Take your check for repairs and go to the dealership of your choice and make your best deal.
I was confused by that statement also but I do know some shady bodyshops that offer to "total" a vehicle in an already substantial accident, if the price is right.. I know it's fraud but it is what it is, as an insurance adjuster, I am sure you're aware how a bodyshop does that ..

Also, I heard at least in NY, you can't make a first-party claim for diminish value.. And since this is such a claim, since there isn't anyone else to subrogate the liability from.. Doesn't that apply to most states?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #61
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
How exactly would you go about doing that? The decision to write the car off or not is a simple equation. If the damage exceeds X percentage (typically 80%) of the vehicle value it's a write off.

In this case we have 18k pounds damage on a car that's probably valued at 40k pounds. 45% of the value of the car. How are you going to convince the insurance company to spend 40k pounds instead of 18k pounds? You must be a master negotiator.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #62
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

2 weeks?

Quote:

that is a pipe dream imo. that is a pretty fair parts list, I would be inclined to fix and sell it and and start over. I had a similar thing happen on an S4 and granted it was awd it was never the same. you will know what to do the second you drive it, the car has a very specific & precise feel to it. hoping for the best but its kinda like surgery, there is often residual post repair
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #63
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I was confused by that statement also but I do know some shady bodyshops that offer to "total" a vehicle in an already substantial accident, if the price is right.. I know it's fraud but it is what it is, as an insurance adjuster, I am sure you're aware how a bodyshop does that ..

Also, I heard at least in NY, you can't make a first-party claim for diminish value.. And since this is a hit and run, makes it such without anyone else to subrogate the liability from.. Doesn't that apply to most states?
there is only one state in the US in which first party DV ( a loss caused by YOU or by an act of god/vandalism ) is paid and that is Georgia.

Many states in the US allow third party DV (which can also be claimed as a first party Uninsured/underinsured motorist claims) .
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #64
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Good news ...
[...deleted...]
I am happy you are getting things sorted out. Has to be a huge relief.

You will have a great time sharpening your driving skills. Excellent decision!
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #65
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

So he is not replacing the sub frame?

A big No No...

Replace it with a new genuine part from BMW!

As I said before if he has to throw the car up onto a frame rack and do panel realignment...time to move on
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #66
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:

So he is not replacing the sub frame?

A big No No...

Replace it with a new genuine part from BMW!

As I said before if he has to throw the car up onto a frame rack and do panel realignment...time to move on
apparently you have zero faith in your body shop or your body shop simply SUCKS.

It does amaze me how much respect shows like American Chopper, overhaulin' and such get for metalwork and custom fabrication, and the moment a car gets a hickey it should be totaled and salvaged because " it will never be right again".

I've had wheel repair companies repair and paint wheels that I use on the track. I've had a machine shop weld an aluminum s14 cylinder head that a crack in a water jacket and it never overheated again. I've had an aluminum oil pan welded and it never leaked. I've had frame repairs on a car and never had an issue again. I've had a windshield replaced and it didn't have wind noise afterwards.

I'm sure there are competent shops that can install a CF roof on an M2... as well as repair suspension damage , minor frame repair , wheel repair and alignment work.

I wouldn't trust every single BMW dealer to all of the work listed above, but certainly every major city in the top 200 majors cities in the US has multiple repair ships that can do excellent work. It's simply a matter of doing ones due diligence and finding a shop that does great work at a great price and is enthusiastic about doing a quality repair.

I've seen one man, ten man, 100 man, and 1000 shop mega chains all do both horrible and quality work. I personally prefer a medium size independent shop over the local dealer body shop.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
randyt224.50