08-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
Disable knee airbag for handicap control

Hey guys, does anyone know about airbag disabling and how to code it out or something to get the system to ignore that airbag?
I need to install a handicap hand control for brakes and the knee airbag at the bottom of the dash is right in the way and I can't get around it. That airbag is not really needed because seat belts are always worn.
Any advice (short of telling me it will void the warranty and I will go to hell) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by backmotor View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know about airbag disabling and how to code it out or something to get the system to ignore that airbag?
I need to install a handicap hand control for brakes and the knee airbag at the bottom of the dash is right in the way and I can't get around it. That airbag is not really needed because seat belts are always worn.
Any advice (short of telling me it will void the warranty and I will go to hell) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Since knee airbags are pretty common now I am sure one the installers of these systems has this figured out. Coding out airbags has become almost impossible but I know that some of the shops that install racing seats have figured out how to create wire harnesses that trick the systems into thinking the airbag is there. Wish I could be of more help, let us know what you come up with.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

You can use a resistor to spoof the system into thinking the airbag is connected - youll have to search F80 airbag resistor or something like that for info - sorry I can give the specific Ohm resistor you need
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
The dealer can disable it, but you will have to sign a legal waiver.
      10-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
Smile

Update:
I measured the resistance of the two pins on the air bag at 2.4 ohms, bought a 5 watt 2.4 ohm resister (the 5W resistor had heavier (bigger) wires and fit the plug just fine). Took car to the dealer and had them reset the error messages.
Everything is back to normal with that air bag missing. Did not have to sign anything.
Had alot of communications with NHTSA about all this.
As the Owner of the car, I can remove air bags all I want with no issues from NHTSA (different states may have something to say, but not NHTSA).
But a registered installer of handicap equipment in cars CANNOT perform any modifications without NHTSA approval, and must be registered with NHTSA.

Hand-operated brake works great, and allows me to track the car again safely! It's just like left foot braking, which I cannot physically do.

All is good!
Appreciate 1
akkando5860.00