BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Allocations for October / November/ December (U.S.)

08-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #23
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
What no one has mentioned in this thread (it has been mentioned in others) is that there is a lack of motivation for BMW to produce more M2s. They make way less on an M2 than they make on the other cars being produced in Liepzig. It is basically a halo car that they hope will lead to upsells and downsells.

Dealers on the other hand likely do just fine on their profit in the M2 supply chain. So of course they see excess demand as a huge profit potential if they can get more in. So they are saying all the right things to customers that want to hear it. In the meantime, they are playing the upsell and downsell game to keep potential buyers from walking elsewhere. If they feel they are losing BMW sales in general by the constraint, and those lost sales amount to more than the profit from the other Liepzig products, THEN we might see a shift.

Given the above, I am not hopeful of a ramp up, but will be patient (as I cannot find another car that ticks all my boxes like the M2). If the supply constraint continues, it will do nothing but help me when I get my car, by slowing depreciation
Well put

And let's not forget, the X2 is coming soon and will be made on the same production line, so we should expect the initial influx of those to offset some M2's, M240's, etc. off the line, hopefully without any major decreases in production.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #24
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Well put

And let's not forget, the X2 is coming soon and will be made on the same production line, so we should expect the initial influx of those to offset some M2's, M240's, etc. off the line, hopefully without any major decreases in production.
So if BMW is going to produce yet another model, the X2, on the same production line, something has to give, assuming they are currently maxed out. Doubtful they would increase production of M2s, maybe production would go down as profit on the X2 will be higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
So if BMW is going to produce yet another model, the X2, on the same production line, something has to give, assuming they are currently maxed out. Doubtful they would increase production of M2s, maybe production would go down as profit on the X2 will be higher.
Agreed. At this point though, it's very hard for any of us to say exactly what will happen. I think once the next batch of allocations are out and we can compare those to the previous quarter's batch, we will get a good sense of where production stands.

FWIW, my GM and I were chatting about 2017 allocations and they were already informed to expect the same number for that calendar year (this year it was 2 for the calendar year, one MY16 and one MY17).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #26
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. At this point though, it's very hard for any of us to say exactly what will happen. I think once the next batch of allocations are out and we can compare those to the previous quarter's batch, we will get a good sense of where production stands.

FWIW, my GM and I were chatting about 2017 allocations and they were already informed to expect the same number for that calendar year (this year it was 2 for the calendar year, one MY16 and one MY17).
Well, there is something to be said about knowing what the numbers will be for the coming year, even if the numbers are low. Many people have been hoping for the dam to break. Doesn't look like it. I have been promised a car out of the next allocation and have been counting on past allocations as an indicator.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #27
mac128ic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Guys, as far as I know, the last allocation for M2 was released (US) on 6/15. What would be the next allocation date? I was thinking it would be once a month. apparently I am wrong.
appreciate any info. I am next in line with a dealer.
Past: 2011 Jet Black 128i Convertible 6MT/HK
2004 X3 2.5
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #28
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac128ic View Post
Guys, as far as I know, the last allocation for M2 was released (US) on 6/15. What would be the next allocation date? I was thinking it would be once a month. apparently I am wrong.
I understand the next allocations will be announced in early September for Oct, Nov and Dec production cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #29
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya
Quote:

Well, there is something to be said about knowing what the numbers will be for the coming year, even if the numbers are low. Many people have been hoping for the dam to break. Doesn't look like it. I have been promised a car out of the next allocation and have been counting on past allocations as an indicator.
I'm currently #2 on the list (started at #6) at a NC dealer and keeping fingers crossed for some good news in the next few weeks!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #30
Skwinglos
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M2; HD 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I am #1 for the next allocation batch at a large dealership - so hoping and "likely" mine will be on order in September.
Hah.
I was one of those too until I got fucked out of my top spot and jumped by two others.

Fucked up part is I still want the car and getting my deposit back and switching dealerships will pretty much set the clock back another year. My current DD is 'done' and I don't like putting tons of miles on my truck unless I have to.

Pretty fucked
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #31
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I don't see BMW suddenly increasing production of the M2 significantly (then again what do I know), I doubt they want to end up with a surplus of these cars sitting on lots like they have experienced with cars like the I8
You do realize that BMW can see dealer order banks and merely use that as a gauge for demand.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      08-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #32
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwinglos View Post
Hah.
I was one of those too until I got fucked out of my top spot and jumped by two others.

Fucked up part is I still want the car and getting my deposit back and switching dealerships will pretty much set the clock back another year. My current DD is 'done' and I don't like putting tons of miles on my truck unless I have to.

Pretty fucked
That sucks! Have you told the story of how you got... ummm screwed over... in another thread. I am curious how they justified doing that to you. Or was it just M Tour priority giving you the short end?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #33
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac128ic
Towards the end of the second week of September. Allocations are coming out in quarterly batches.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #34
Skwinglos
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M2; HD 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
That sucks! Have you told the story of how you got... ummm screwed over... in another thread. I am curious how they justified doing that to you. Or was it just M Tour priority giving you the short end?
Nope I haven't shared the story because it can only hurt me further at this point. As for justification it's not really M Tour related because of the build dates but it's something like that.

I passed on the 'non-configurable' HEA car due to options/color and was still #1 before the last set of allocations went out. Once those went out shit got weird and here I am hoping I can at least get a car in December so I can park it in my garage and brood until spring comes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #35
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Skwinglos - sorry to hear your story. I hope things improve and you end up with a M2!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #36
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

Quote:
Towards the end of the second week of September. Allocations are coming out in quarterly batches.
I assume this is the case for Canada as well?

My dealer has been telling me since I put my deposit down in late May that they will hear more in October. If allocations for the Oct-Dec quarter are being announced in September I wonder if they keep telling me October just to give themselves some wiggle room...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #37
Hossel19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post

My dealer has been telling me since I put my deposit down in late May that they will hear more in October. If allocations for the Oct-Dec quarter are being announced in September I wonder if they keep telling me October just to give themselves some wiggle room...
Allocations for Canada were already given until the end of 2016. Next batch will be for January and later production.
Appreciate 1
IS+1239.50
      08-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #38
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post

It is not.

All allocations for calendar 2016 in Canada were given out in March or so of this year. Your dealer already knows how many cars they are getting. For example, my dealer knew in March they were getting two cars, one June build, one September build.

There are no plans to release any additional allocations for Canada come October.

Sometime in late November/December they should get allocations for January '17 builds.
Appreciate 1
IS+1239.50
      09-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #39
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Aren't there anticipated allocations coming next week? Anyone have any details?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #40
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Aren't there anticipated allocations coming next week? Anyone have any details?
Nothing to report really, just a matter of waiting until BMW sends the allocations out.

Keep in mind they're not on a schedule so things can change, but from past history they should come no later than next Friday (16th).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #41
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

yeah the other thread was just a discussion of allocations possibly coming in quarterly batches for U.S then confirmed once that second week of July came around. I presume this thread will be the same; will fuel some people to inquire if they are up next or due to order once some happy people report in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #42
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Let's just hope people drop like flies

This car sucks people, move on.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #43
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Let's just hope people drop like flies

This car sucks people, move on.
im #6 at my dealer but last i heard from my CA was 1 was delivered and 2 were on order so there is a slight chance for me this go around.

want AW/DCT/Exec and all the MPE goodies except carbon mirror cap and MP exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #44
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I'm #1 at my dealer and was told I'd be getting my build slot 1st week of September. Haven't heard anything from them yet...
Appreciate 0